Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Cheers guys, I've been a bit worried about her skintone, some days I like it, some days I hate it! Hopefully I'll be happy with it all the time once I get the dress done. Otherwise, I guess she goes in the paint stripper!

It's turning out that monochrome painting is actually a bit harder than normal paintwork, with no colours to distract you the blending and tones have to be much more accurate!

A little news update - Cassandra's skin just doesn't look quite right to me in daylight, so she's unfortunately going to be going in paint stripper so I can try a new method.

Other than that, I've made a few bits of progress on Jaakuna, so updates on her soon. And the monochrome efforts are going ok too.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new shot of Jaakuna, I'm probably going to adjust the hair on hte childs head a little, to improve the proportions (It's only a tiny bit out, but when it comes to proportion, tiny bits are really obvious to people!).

jaakunachildhead.jpg

I'm hoping to get her fully sculpted by christmas, since December should be quiet-ish for me! Then all I'll need is a new FLGS to test her out at, since my usual one's gone...

Edited by Mako

Thanks for that, always nice to hear people like what I'm doing!

I've actually tweaked the childs arm a little, it needs a slightly smaller hand and I made it less chubby. The child's hair's been improved too.

And I wouldn't say no if they asked me, would be pretty awesome to have something out there with my name on it!

Why thank you! And last time I looked, I'm definitely a sir. Tho I'm not an officer, and certainly not a gentleman ;)

I was hoping to spend the weekend working on Jaakuna and finishing up the Night terror bases, but it seems I've somehow ended up with large amounts of other stuff to do. So I may not make much progress until next week! But I still want to get Jaakuna sorted by xmas if I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers man, things have started to get going again on the crew now, I may even get an update up soon!

One of the night terrors is ready for paint, the other needs his base sculpting. Then I'll actually be able to paint some more models at last!

And Jaakuna has taken a lot of work on very small things, the childs arms and hair have been tricky to get right but they might be sorted now, I've still managed to keep the child removable as well. Still hoping to get her done by xmas!

Finally, time for another update! Last two days I've had enough time in the evenings to do a bit of sculpting, so I managed to sculpt the childs right arm and both hands (left one was too big), and fit Jaakuna's left arm and hand onto the piece. This should detach with the child piece for casting/painting. I'm still debating if the hand is right, I gave her longer bonier fingers like the artwork, to accentuate her not being human. I quite like the effect, but I've changed so many bits as I go along it may yet get redone!

jaakunaleftarm.jpg

I also have a little extra project going, more on that when I've made some good progress with it.

Edited by Mako

Cheers, it's taken a while but hopefully will be worth it when I get her finished! Then I'll have to get back to the shikome I was doing I suppose. Or I'll carry on with my little extra project (that isn't ready for pictures yet though).

As a side note, I realised Jaakuna's thumb was a little off so have adjusted it. You can't get actually your thumb to lie that flat on something without breaking it, it sits sideways instead. So a little tweak was needed.

Cheers, always nice to hear that! This one is definitely Wyrds IP though, given how I'm copying the artwork from book 3. Mind you, if any of them happen to be drifting through this thread and they like what they see, you never know... :P There was going to be an update today but I decided to redo the legs on the child holding Jaakuna, so perhaps new photos of that early next week. Instead, here's the modified base for one of my night terrors to give it a more Oriental feel:

nightterrorbase1.jpg

I'm also doing a few other bits that would fit into the Malifaux world just for my own amusement, as I get those sorted out I might add them into here too. A little mini-crew that fits into the background fluff somewhere.

Edited by Mako

Right, with any luck I'll have a fairly big update to Jaakuna around new year. I've also got plans to finish sorting out the second night terror so I can paint them, and Cassandra has been stripped of paint ready for a better go at her skin tones. I may even prep the other showgirls and do all their skins, with different colours (Which if I get it right might be a handy guide to different skin tones. If not, they'll go back into paint stripper and I'll know what not to do next time!)

So, another week or so and there should be some progress on here!

Thanks folks, always good to hear it's going well! Just in time for new year, here's the latest progress on Jaakuna Ubume. THe child is done and all jaakuna herself needs is the flower in her hair which I'll start soon. I've also started working on the corpse floating next to her, but the head is only in it's first stages. Only the face has been done, and it needs a few neatening tweaks. Then I'll be able to finish up the facial details and shape the rest of the head, ears and hair.

jaakunacorpse.jpg

Edited by Mako

Today has been an interesting day. I've gone cross eyed sculpting tiny chain across the corpse, and there's still a lot to go!

And then I noticed that there's another chained up corpse behind Jaakuna. Which potentially means yet more sculpting, just when I thought I was getting close to finishing this! Ah well, one more corpse and two floating heads added on to the list I guess...

Right, after a bit of debate I'm leaning towards doing the lily pads, both heads and the second corpse (well, I have a 50mm base to fill!). Which will effectively make her a 6 piece model when I finish her. SInce I don't really enjoy working with real chain on models, I've (foolishly) decided to sculpt it all on. So here's the first stages of the chain, along with a few more refinements to the corpses head. There's still a few tweaks to do on his face though. And he has no ears...

corpsechainstart.jpg

Edited by Mako

Heh. I do love to inspire people to self hatred!

The chains are coming along, and the ears are now done (my personal pet hate, ears. Never get them properly even first time) so some point soon I'll chuck an update up. Also, have finished the base for the second night terror, have cassandra and a showgirl primed, and the itch to paint, so finally something other than putty will be up soon!

Mind you, just ordered Alt Lady J and the Judge, have a plan for them that involves death marshalls, an exorcist and a guardian (well, I have one lying about and from what I've read poor Justice can be a touch fragile on the way to combat). And have the colours all picked out ready, so when she appears tomorrow/thursday she might take point on the table!