Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

ThAnks guardian!

Yeah, always a bit glossy after such a lot of glazing, even though I use matte medium in it! But the varnish will kill that nicely. Probably end up using gloss and matte on the edges of the base so they resist the heavy handling better, which will mean they end up satin gloss.

I've spent far too much time reading the whole of your thread and can't decide whether I am thoroughly inspired or should just give up now.. :1_Exhausted_Puppet:

Your painting is exceptional, but I do believe you when you say getting to that level is just practice, so I can admire your excellent models with the added pleasure of the thought that one day maybe I will be able to paint like that. Unfortunately, you have something else that I am utterly envious of - your creative brain! The basing, conversions, custom sculpts and colour schemes are the parts that (for me) really elevate your models to a step above the rest. I tend to be rather lacking in ideas for that sort of thing and on the odd occasion that I do come up with something the execution of it is usually beyond me. I suspect this is something that you either have, or you don't - the difference between talent and ability perhaps? - but if you have any tips regarding developing the 'concept' for a mini or crew, then I would be eternally grateful.

Statuesque girls look great btw - we need better pictures though, please!

Well, the girls got to the finals in the open category at salute, but didnt get first or second prize. Kind of annoying, I was hoping to go out of the contest by lunchtime to go and meet someone but got kept there for ages!

Thanks peebs, definitely keep practicing! Time and patience are the key...Ideas come from all over the place. My muse is quite easily distracted so I get a lot of wild ideas that aren't actually possible, and some that others could no doubt do that I can't. For schemes, basing, and things I get ideas from everywhere. I picked misaki's colours from an episode of scooby doo...

Often with the crazy ideas, it turns out to not be so crazy when you break it down into small bits, so often it's worth giving it a try anyway.

peebs, I will say that getting ideas can also be a matter of practice. I had a horrible time coming up with ideas and methods of execution for a very long time. Now, the ideas aren't that hard to come by most of the time, and I can usually work the execution out from there. While I am not as good as Mako (and who is really *grin* ), I am leaps and bounds better than I was even a year ago simply due to my willingness to challenge myself and not be afraid to fail once in a while.

Thank you both for the advice. I think a big part of the problem is that I'm pretty busy atm, so when I get some time for malifaux stuff I want to crack on and get results rather than taking the time to think ideas through and do some experimenting. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist and when things don't turn out the way I have envisioned (which is often the case when I don't have as much time as I would like) I have a tendency to get disheartened and give up. I'll have to try and stop thinking like that. Seeing all the great models done by other people on here is definitely good inspiration so hopefully I'll have my hobby 'mojo' back soon!

Oh, if it goes wrong it can suck. But it's gonna happen from time to time (oh, the number of times I've messed up!), if you can just push onward and try and fix it or redo it, that's the key. Gets easier each time you do it...

New tricks are usually worth trying on something unimportant first as well. That way, you don't mind if it gets messed up! Although that does mean extra time.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, is it really several weeks since I was last in here? Things have been mad round here...

With GenCon coming up, and Malifaux 2E on the horizon, we're having to rethink the brawl we were going to do a bit. In the meantime, I'm going to work on some painting competition entries. I have too many ideas to do them all, so to begin with I'll be focusing on two. One infinity piece, and the dead justice set (thanks pandadirector!)

So in the next week or so I'll hopefully get some progress made on that, and get this thread moving again.

Ick, just looked at the merc tag. The bot's passable, but the girl looks like her neck's been badly snapped and stretched...

And psychedelic is the solution to many things, I'm just following an old scientific tradition! Heh

They're somewhere waaay down the priority list at the moment, I'm focussing on my GenCon painting entries instead.

What with the whole 2.0 coming around, I don't think my crew (and possibly others) would be legal anymore. So there's some doubt there as to what's happening with that.