Please brief me in :)

Antigonos

Question

It's been quite some time that I saw the game, but I had not given any real thoughts in starting it, till I saw the Guild models. So, I wanted to ask you to give me some clues about the game.

Also:

1) How many figures do you usually need for a regular game?

2) How big/small following does the game have in the UK?

3) Is it loosing ground or is it in its growth face? (I am trying to avoid the C3 disappointment here)

Thanks

17 answers to this question

I know it's got a big following down the road in Milton Keynes and a huge following in London, I don't believe we have a Henchman in Oxford yet. But it's a good game to get people into at the moment. You can get started for around £35 which is cheaper than any other game on the market. It uses cards not dice, you get a hand which you can cheat your results in combat and casting. Which when you include it with the fact that you take activations in turns means that players are engaged through the whole game rather than it turning into you move and fire everything and I'll go to sleep and roll some defence dice.

My parents also live in Oxford so I might bring down my stuff at some point and run some demos if you have a club.

The other really nice thing is that the win conditions aren't wiping out the opponent, each game you flip randomly for strategies, so that means even with the same crews you have 166 different combinations of win conditions. Then add on to that Schemes and the fact that there are lots of different terrain set ups and you never get two games the same.

Thanks again, but can I have some more info about the game? The more detailed the better :)

Let me say this Antigonos, this is BY FAR the BEST up and coming game out there. I have been gaming with minis off and on for the past 20 years of my life and it VERY refreshing to see a company as big as Malifaux but yet still small enough to listen to its customers. The support and attention they give is without measure. Yes all the big companies have great product replacement procedures, but the steps that Wyrd takes to keep the game going is outstanding! What company do you know makes their rules available for FREE???!!! or produce a VERY cost effective rulebook for you to purchase without having to purchase the larger rulebooks with all the fluff????

You will find the game mechanic original and very interesting. I really do hope you demo a game soon, and I will see you on the other side of the breach!

Let me say this Antigonos, this is BY FAR the BEST up and coming game out there. I have been gaming with minis off and on for the past 20 years of my life and it VERY refreshing to see a company as big as Malifaux but yet still small enough to listen to its customers. The support and attention they give is without measure. Yes all the big companies have great product replacement procedures, but the steps that Wyrd takes to keep the game going is outstanding! What company do you know makes their rules available for FREE???!!! or produce a VERY cost effective rulebook for you to purchase without having to purchase the larger rulebooks with all the fluff????

You will find the game mechanic original and very interesting. I really do hope you demo a game soon, and I will see you on the other side of the breach!

That's really nice to hear. I think I will give it a try and if not play the game, at least paint these steam-robot of the Guild faction. Apart from this starter box, should I also invest on the book and how about the second expansion rulebook?

If your going with Dr Roboto.... I mean Hoffman, A good start is the box set + Mechanical Attendant + Peace Keeper because it's really cool. Additional nice things to go with him include stuff like Ryle, who in the stories is his brother after a horrible accident. the Rules Manual is enough to start playing.. but the stories are really cool in the main books and if you like fluff I would recommend them. They also give you a really good idea of what you will be facing. Knowing your opponent in Malifaux is far more important than in something like 40k as there are lots of weird powers to keep an eye on, it's so easy to have something jumped on you and stand there going OMGWTF. The game is actually very balanced, but if it comes out of the blue you can be speechless.

ratty said evrything you need to know,

from book 1 you can find the V2 cards also in the side bar. so 60-70% (doing a wild guess) of the models availably right now you can read the rules and special thingy's, but from book 2 you will need the acctual book, but with the manual is the best thing if you want to start, you can alwas buy book 1 and 2 for fluff.

in Malifaux, even now, i still have situations that happen to me and i get massacred like hell, and i think,, well that's something that i will never let happen again, and thats only because you are playing against a model you never say, or read the rules from.

Malifaux seems hard, but is very easy :)

go for it, and even when you don't like it, you still have some miniatures that are simply amazing ;)

The first two rulebooks have AWESOME fluff and info on the models. Sone of the rules for the models have been updated via new stat cards (wjich you can download for free) to blance and clarify rules. The rulebooks have also been errata'd to clarify and tweak rules fora fairer and more fluid game.

Instead of releasing just an errata, they released the rules manual which has all the updated rules in it. You can buy it (the cost effective rulebook

Cubert mentioned), which is of brilliant quality, or you can downliad it free. The cards are fantastic too, but you can opt to use normal playing cards so its cheaper.

In addition, if there is a rules query that needs clarification, there are rules marshals on the forum who can give you a definitive answer in good time.

Basically, Wyrd looks after its community. Malifaux, as a game, and as a story, far outdoes whfb and whormachine (for me), and 40k gamewise and is on par fluffwise. Its also got great models and great prices (in comparison at the very least).

The gameplay can move very quickly when you get the gist of your crew and rules, and is very tactical, as you have your main strategy and then schemes which can be kept secret if you wish. This gives you around 6 objectives to think about - completing youre own and preventing your opponent from completing theirs/guessing their schemes. Each player takes turns to use one model at a time which can either go for objectives, charge, shoot, move to protect themselves or more important models, get in the way, or set up combos. This creates a game where forward thinking is king (think chess, in a sense). As ratty said you have a hand which you can use to improve on the cards you flip for attacks/spells etc., but you have a limited amount. This means you have resource management to think about. Masters can use soulstones, which generally makes them more powerful than other models, but is another resource to use wisely.

This game is Fried Gold, and is pretty easy to pick up after a couple of games. Its not all kill, in fact you can lose every model and win, and is characterful and different. I dont think you will be disappointed with this game.

...ill stop brown-nosing now :$

I've seen it already. What I am asking is how the game works/plays, etc

Aside from getting a demo (the best way to learn), I'd recommend a combination of reading the rules PDF and watching battle report videos online. Just type in "Malifaux" on Youtube, and you'll find a good amount of videos to show you how the game is played.