Kirai's lot

unclebuck

the Kirai needs her box and anything she can summon. She is my most common opponent and having 5 seishin is strong. You definitely want a Shikohm (Typo??)and her totem Lost love. 3-4 Seishin and the totem are a minimum requirement for her. The Gaki are not that essential, but adds flavor.

If you really don't want to be liked and have no friends, pick up 2 Shikohm and Jack Daw.

She is a tricky master to get used to, but very fun. It took me 6-7 games of fumbling around with her before her style went *click* and I finally got used to using her well. Minimum purchase? I'd have to agree with Cannon, you'll want at the very minimum 2 more clamshells of Seishin for a total of 5. I'd also advise on getting 2 clamshells of Gaki as well, as once you get used to using her they just seem to turn up. I didn't start with a Shikome, but after getting used to how Kirai works I think you will 100% want one.

If you are a competitive player Cannon is also correct in that you will at some point want Jack Daw, although he is not required for friendly play. Jack is a very solid model and Kirai has some of the best synergy with him.

As for her being a good master to start with... that's very subjective. I know lots of people who started with her NP, but she is one of the more complex masters and she will take some additional time getting used to. In my own personal case I didn't start with her, and I'm glad I didn't as I don't know if I'd have enjoyed trying to learn the game and her style at the same time.

If she is the master that really calls to you at the moment go ahead and get her, that draw will be what helps keep you in the game. If there is another master that is calling to you and is a little more strait forward in how they play that would be my personal advice in crew selection, but ultimately you'll be fine whichever route you go.

Helps if I actually read you question.... oops

I know a couple people who started with her, and compared to other masters she is a little more difficult to learn, but not too hard for experience gamers. If someone is just starting gaming and malifaux is their first game, I would recommend a different master. But if you have experience playing other games you should be able to learn with her. The hardest parts of her is learning when to do the card\life efficient turn activation with the Ikiryo, and when to skip it.

With her you want activate all your Seishin first stalling out your activation and make you opponent activate as much as possible before putting anything in danger. Then activate the Ikiryo first, do as much damage as possible, and call spirits to pull the rest of you force forward. Then later activate Kirai, and sacrifice ikirio to absorb spirit. in the end you heal 4 point, no loss of AP, and cycle 2 cards. Summon something(shikohm preferably). and another Ikirio. Don't forget you can first switch 2 spirits location using Swirling spirits,ideally something nasty and the forward placed ikiryo before you sacrifice it. The summoned Ikiryo usually activates last after everything else has gone, it has slow but still has melee expert. you can either have him up front and attack, or in back and call spirit all you other models away from danger with call spirits.

OK, now that you know what you would have learned in first 3-4 games with her, you opponent will have to play a couple more to learn it unless they are reading this. They're goal is to disrupt this order as much as possible. So the hard part is is learning to to get back on track after your opponent puts a monkey wrench in the works. if they can kill Ikirio and Datsue-ba and slow her healing the whole mechanic slows down. Kirai is a Emo at heart, she cuts her self a lot and heals afterwards. Those scissors are for self mutilation more than a weapon. She may cut herself a lot, but she is also one of the hardest masters to kill out write. so when choosing a scheme announce body guard, its almost 2 VP guaranteed.

hope that helps

very helpful part that has got me into the game are the models and i love her (the model that is) i play warhammer at tournament level and pretty good hordes and magic player,i understand this is a different game and will take some getting used to.At our club thier are only two other newish players so all learning thanks for the advice and will definatley keepin you posted .............

Hey Unclebuck,

Kirai was my first Malifaux master and I got her simply because I liked the models and knew I would like to paint them. I am now really glad I started with her as that made my Malifaux starting experience so much more enjoyable. I am an experienced gamer (other games) so I had no major difficulties in figuring her out, but of course, my first 3-4 games were really learning games.

The good thing about her is that she is so flexible in her style and choices of crew that there is no real bad strategy for her (although obviously some are harder than others). Also, once you get the hang of her, most of the other masters will feel a bit boring for you, as their play style is "too straightforward" :) compared to her, and you will always want to play her.

The bad thing is that to use all the flexibility she has, you will want to buy lots of extra models. Her totem (Lost Love) and 4 extra Seishim (2 packs) is a must and probably your first buy. After that you will want a Shikome and 2 Gakis at least. This will give you a solid crew for friendly play.

For competitive play, you will want another Shikome and Jack Daw as mentioned by CannonFodder. Later on, if you decide to play some "gaki-based games", you will want at least 4 of them but ideally 6. Finally, right now I am looking into more variety and I just bought Insidious Madness and the Hanged, but haven't played them yet. Another problem is that once you get to this point, you will probably be kicking a**** all over the place, and that won't bring you many friends... :) but that is life in Malifaux... :)

Enjoy!

Edson

Jack Daw has a no-cheating no-soulstone usage 6" aura. He is also quite hard to kill because of some of his talents. So a crew that includes Jack Daw will usually throw him in the middle of the opponent's crew, activate the aura, and make your opponent scream. Usually he will try to move his models away from Jack Daw, wasting important APs.

The thing with Kirai, is that her crew has quite a few options to reposition Jack Daw during the turn, using for instance her Swirl Spirits ability, Datsue Ba's Guide Spirits or Ikiryos call spirits (don't remember the name of the ability). That has the potential to really disrupt your opponent's turn.

Of course, like any other model in Malifaux, he is not invincible. He is quite costly at 9SS, and for that alone you expect a model that is not easy to kill. But, you still have to be careful when positioning him, and have good distance guessing skills. You need to properly manage your hand as spending all/most of your cards will leave him vulnerable. Your opponent can also deal with him by burying him, sacrificing him, preventing him from move, or simply spreading his crew over the table. Not to mention his betrayal "talent" :) that causes your opponent to take control of him if you ever flip the black joker on one of his duels.

So, as everything else in Malifaux, it is a very unique model, that is very fun to play, but when well played can frustrate your opponent's plans... :)

My favorite move with him, BTW, is get him into base contact with Rasputina and trap her within his no-cheating area. Since she has a move of 3, and has to make disengaging strikes to get out of his melee range, she will lose at least one turn. She can obviously try to make a statue out of him, but she will have to do that without cheating or using soulstones... not an easy task... :)

Cheers,

Edson