C.Hoffman maybe not the best to learn with

Ulthred

Hi Everyone,

A group of us have started Malifaux gangs and I though the whole robot thing with Hoffman would look great. Only thing is after a couple of games im not to sure he was the best choice.

This is my 25ss crew

C.Hoffman

Peacekeeper

Guardian

Hunter

Watcher

Im thinking of hanging the robots up for a bit and then running Lady Justice

just that he is slow, his constructs dont seam to be able to do as much as everyone elses guys.

Just feel they don't really fit my playstyle of running and hitting this as hard as I can, I love being in combat every other table top game I play I always find that im best with the units/casters that are normally in the front beating the seven bells out of some stuff

C.Hoffman hitching a ride on a peacekeeper is pretty fast. He can then be machine puppeted into doing a lot of damage, or override edict in to moving again.

Guardian does pretty well in combat once it gets there, maybe using the Peacekeeper and the hunter to drag enemy into you.

Lady Justice is a more normal melee master, so might be easier to learn with, but Hoffman can put out quite a lot of melee pain when he wants and can be very mobile. He is also pretty good at taking a beating on the front line.

C.Hoffman hitching a ride on a peacekeeper is pretty fast. He can then be machine puppeted into doing a lot of damage, or override edict in to moving again.

Guardian does pretty well in combat once it gets there, maybe using the Peacekeeper and the hunter to drag enemy into you.

Apropos of the slowness of the Guardian, I find that I can use the Watcher to drag him along to the right spot.

As far as doing much? Give me an example of where C. Hoffman fell short.

I just think its the composition of the crew that is the problem. I would not say that Hoffman is slow. If you play with a core of Guardians and Peacekeepers, you can drag your gang (aside from Ryle) up the obard in pretty quick fashion. Don't forget Overprotective on the Guardians. It is very handy.

I would argue he is just not too flexible. If he does go zooming up the board, then he leaves his main damage dealing output (Ryle) on his lonesome.

I think if you are looking for a hard and fast hitting Melee crew and this is your play style then I think the OP is right that maybe Hoffman might not be their style. This seems to be a problem with some of the people in my play group as well that are trying to shoe horn crews into certain play styles and then disliking the crews. Rather then realising in this game you more have to find a crew that fits your style rather then find a crew and make it fit your style.

Well having played Hoffman crew very similar to the one listed in the OP, I have to say the speed was shocking! Had Hoffman tag a lift 15 inches with the Peacekeeper, then he reactived it for another 10 inch movement and tag along, then peacekeeper whacked me with its Melee Master. That was 25" and both Hoffman and Peacekeeper in melee with me!

Also, the rule about being able to push 6" your guardian (if I remember correctly) if it is within 6" of a friendly contruct, you fly the Watcher forward then use this ability to bring the guarding further forward...

Bear in mind the majority of Strategies in the game, being atleast halfway across the board, and in some cases the other side of the board 1st turn is more than enough speed!

Add to that all their Armour in the force, they are hard hitting and very resilient.

Main thing with Hoffman is Synergy, more so than a lot of Master's in the game. You need to work what constructs work best with him, what combination of abilities you want to "borrow" and what role each will play in the game to help you with your Strategy/Scheme.

The beauty of the game ey!

In going with what Drake said, Hoffman is indeed meant to be played as a part of a machine. A very important part of a machine you build with Guild and filthy rabble Constructs. You accomplish Strategies and Schemes by working your crew like some kind of steampunk Voltron. The Lion one, not the dipshit car one.

In going with what Drake said, Hoffman is indeed meant to be played as a part of a machine. A very important part of a machine you build with Guild and filthy rabble Constructs. You accomplish Strategies and Schemes by working your crew like some kind of steampunk Voltron. The Lion one, not the dipshit car one.

Hell yeah!

I just think its the composition of the crew that is the problem. I would not say that Hoffman is slow. If you play with a core of Guardians and Peacekeepers, you can drag your gang (aside from Ryle) up the obard in pretty quick fashion. Don't forget Overprotective on the Guardians. It is very handy.

I would argue he is just not too flexible. If he does go zooming up the board, then he leaves his main damage dealing output (Ryle) on his lonesome.

a pretty good way to fix Ryle being left in the dust is activating him first then using his 0 action socially repressed to move him 4 inches away from the closest living model and at the start of the game that would be the Hoff. it's not much but for me that first 4 inches combinded with his range is good enough to strike with as long as i dont go to crazy with moving hoff with the peacekeeper.

a pretty good way to fix Ryle being left in the dust is activating him first then using his 0 action socially repressed to move him 4 inches away from the closest living model and at the start of the game that would be the Hoff. it's not much but for me that first 4 inches combinded with his range is good enough to strike with as long as i dont go to crazy with moving hoff with the peacekeeper.

Hoffman himself ain't actually living. He's a construct.

Thats where I have seen some merit in bring Johan - Living, MS&U member has some range and a nice magic hammer, plus is an other hard to put down model. He is a bit slow but as a second wave he is very solid. Plus as Hoffman is MS&U he hire cost is reduced too.

thanks everyone I love the hoffman model and have been converting him all week instead of sleeping. this is going to be a really dump question but how is hoffman taggin lift??

One of the abuilities on Hoffmans Card (Machine affinity I think) states that when a construct in base contact with him makes a move action, Hoffman can be pushed to base contact with the construct at the end of the move.

If you have missed this interaction I can see why you would think the crew is slow.

And to Tosh, The crew has no living models.

So far I have added in a drill sergent to control Ryle, but I know have a mechanical attendent so not sure I'll keep up with that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to what you were saying about getting in close he's more of a turtle style play in that you can get into combat on turn 2 with most of your crew around you. At that point I'd have a good read over open circuit and empower (Complete with evil grin if your opponent lets you get that close) as you can do ALOT of damage with that combination. (Locking them in melee with your crew then roasting them with the hoff)

If done right you should be able to get off three blasts of that spell at 6dmg per cast (18 in total)