Painting Lilith's Brood for a complete Newbie?

TheRiddler

personally i don't like gw paints, cost to much, not sooo much paint, and its not the best,

i prefer game color, reaper paint, because you can mix them together better.

well, glue them, prime them (black or white) and use the colors you like,

always start with a nice and decent coat of your primary color. (i did purple for the skins and so on) use highlights, if you don't know how to apply them, drybrush them with a little lighter tone. after this highlight with an e;ven lighter tone, but not as hard as your first highlight.

so if you go with your brush 5 times over your model with the first one, you go only 2-3 times with the second. and sometimes i even use a highlight wich has 1/10 with white, and apply them with 1 stroke to have a nice effect.

as for the horns and wings well, i do the same thing, and for the skin, i even use a small amount of flesh tone wash and apply it to their body.

i now there are better ways to have a nice model, but this is how i do it and it works i am no pro and i've got no steady hand but my miniatures are painted like i want them and i like them :)

i'm a newbie myself, so my painting skills are like a 5/10 but i like them, because i did it myself.

Sephiroa gave some solid advice on starting off with painting. If any of that went over your head (IE drybrushing, highlighting, etc.) there are tons of videos on Youtube and hobby specific sites that will show you how to do the techniques.

As far as painting Lilith's crew goes, one thing I always like to remind newer people is that you don't have to paint them the exact same colors that Wyrd does. One of the most gratifying aspects of miniature war gaming is painting your minis the way you want them to look. Like Sephiroa said, they may not be pro painted, but if they're done the way you want them to be, you'll be a lot happier with them.

I'd recommend doing a little bit of imagination work to start off. When you think of Lilith and her Nephilim, do they look like the way Wyrd colored them, or do you have a different image in mind? Do you want to embrace the classical definition of Nephilim (human/angel hybrid) or go with the more demonic look Wyrd gave them?

Once you've got a good idea of what you want them to look like, then you can start choosing colors. There is no right or wrong way to color them. Dark colors and reds for a demonic look, white with flesh tones and lighter colors for a more angelic look are just two of countless possibilities.

If you can post what you'd be going for, perhaps we could suggest specific paints to use.

Hi Riddler,

Assuming you haven't yet assembled the models? I don't know whether the crew comes in several pieces, but your first step will be to superglue the tab on the models feet to the base. If the tab is too long to fit, you might habe to chop a bit off the end with a knife or some clippers.

You're also gonna want to look over the model for what's called mould lines and clean them up by gently scraping with a craft knife. These are where the two halves of the mould fit together and you sometimes see a thin line running around the model. Wyrd miniatures are usually pretty good but occasionally you see these. Also trim off any sticking out bits of metal with your craft knife.

As for painting, you can start with either a black or white undercoat. Some people prefer black, others white, and you'll have to experiment to find out which effect you want for your crew. Painting over black can be quicker because some of the shading is already there, but if you want to paint light colours or white then it might be best to start with white undercoat.

For your first model, concentrate only on getting the paint in the right places. You can always go back and add shading or highlights later. Start with the skin - you can either use a GW colour like dwarf flesh, or maybe you want to mix in a bit of another colour like red or purple to make them look more like Neverborn than humans.

If you want to go back and add shading, try using a wash. Just thin down a darker shade of the base colour (eg.brown for skin) with lots of water (a good palette to mix it is on an old kitchen tile or similar smooth surface) and then put this thinned paint all over the base coat. It runs into the cracks and gives you instant shading. GW also have ready made washes such as Devlan Mud, which you'll find lots of uses for.

Best of luck mate! Feel free to show us a work in progress picture and we can give tips on what to do next :)

Mike

• 6 months later...

I've been playing Malifaux for several months now but have never assembled or painted my own models. Having just acquired the models for my new Lilith crew I'm curious as to how this turned out for you, or to hear from anyone else who's assembled and painted a Lilith crew. Hopefully I'll be starting soon, but right now I have very little idea of what I'm doing!

My current crews: Marcus and Kaeris (mostly assembled with help from a friend, but not primed or painted)

My Lilith pieces: Lilith, Mother of Monsters, 6x Terror Tots, 2x Mature Nephilim, 4x Young Nephilim, 1 Malifaux Cherub, 1 Primordial Magic, 1 Black Blood Shaman, 1 Nekima, Dark Sibling, 2 Waldgeist

Advice and/or your own experience is appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Talk to the guys at your local game store. Odds are there is at least one guy who is WAY too into painting models. This is the guy you want to talk to. His models look amazing, he spends more time painting than playing, he has whole crews of wonderfully painted models. My point is, painting models for him is a huge part of the fun. Odds are he really enjoys that aspect of the game. Odds are, also, that he remembers the first model he ever painted and all of the pain and insecurity involved in that first model's paint job.

My point is, he loves what he does, and most people like that would love to share their easy little tricks and tips (he might not share his 'special' tips and tricks) but he will guide you down the road to better model painting with personal explanations of what works and doesn't work, and why.

I'd recommend Vallejo paints if you can get them...available on ebay if you can't find them anywhere else. They come in dropper bottles so you don't dry your paints out while they are standing, and allows you to use just a few drops of paint at a time. erwise they are pretty much the same as GW.

I'd also recommend a wet palette. A piece of greaseproof paper on top of either blotting paper, or the sponge insert from your Lilith crew boxset, inside a takeaway tub, with about 5mm of water in the bottom of the tub. This will stop your paint drying out on the pallette for weeks. Google it for some examples.

As for actual painting, there are some amazing painters on the forum, but you really need pictures. Google for some examples. For all their faults, GW have got more people into the hobby than anyone else, and so they always have step by step painting instructions for their latest models on their site, though you would probably be better looking for something painted by mere mortals. The difficulty is the majority of folk who do post their work online are talented painters who have perfected their skill for years. If you look though you will find a few game souls who aren't great and know it, but turn out perfectly acceptable miniatures that would be a good effort for a first attempt.

Someone else might be able to suggest some online tutorials...

If you go into a GW store they will nearly always have someone that will be happy to give you a painting demo (though I wouldn't try it before Christmas). See if someone can give you a spare space marine to take in to practice on...

Edited by Serigala