Bishop?

ChefsDad

Hey, im new here having played 3 games.

My friend has the Viks box with Librarian and 3 ronins.

He hasnt used bishop yet, and ive noticed that he is not present in a lot of peoples lists.

Why is that? From reading his rules i think he could be quite good?

At 10SS he's a major investment and he doesn't really have the damage output to back it up.

He can be good, just too circumstancial I think - in the end there's cheaper and more reliable choices.

It's a real shame, he's one of my favourite Wyrd minis and I like the idea of his trigger-madness pit-fighter..

I wish he'd get some sort of buff :( But I think the only way we'd see such thing would be with a Henchman upgrade or something like that in a future book.. Which would probably result in a new miniature aswell :x

A lot of folks don't like him. (Largely because he's expensive, stone-wise, at least from the complaints I've seen).

I've used him a few times, and I've found him to be a good speed-bump/blocker type of character. He's got a lot of wounds, and can basically pick which of his triggers he'll set off each turn. You have to plan a bit to take advantage of this, but it can be a big advantage for him.

My advice is to try him out in a few lists and see how he works for you. Like I said, I've most often used him to shield other models, but you may well find another use for him.

I know that a lot of people take him for treasure hunt-he's widely regarded to be the best general use carrier piece in the game due to all his defense and triggers. Obviously, Colette's crew is ridiculously good for carrying due to her movement tricks, but for non-Colette players, it's a good investment.

I know that a lot of people take him for treasure hunt-he's widely regarded to be the best general use carrier piece in the game due to all his defense and triggers. Obviously, Colette's crew is ridiculously good for carrying due to her movement tricks, but for non-Colette players, it's a good investment.

Compare him to Von Schill (who is by the way 1SS cheaper?!) for such a purpose..

Von Schill is faster (both Nimble and higher Wk), can disengage freely and while he has a lower Df value his overall survivability is definetly better.

Von Schill also have a higher damage output and a ranged one at that (high enough range for him to actually shoot at something while falling back towards your deployment zone again)..

Unless there's a killed/killed/killed hazardous terrain for Bishop to throw models into he's hardly worth it in a 1-1 comparison.

Before Von Schill came out, sometimes I would use him because he was a toolbox, and because I like the model. Ok mostly because I like the model (I got into Malifaux because I liked Hanz and Bishop).

But ever since then if I need a Toolbox model I have Von Schill, who does what Bishop is supposed to do, but better and Cheaper. I wish they would do to Bishop what they did to Hanz...

Bishop is pretty much 100% defensive versus Ranged crews.

1 AP 8" charges, 7 Cb 8 Df with 10-12 Wd.

His best use is throwing him in a group of Ranged models and locking them down.

They won't be able to shoot out of combat, and if disengaging you're at a 7 (potential 9) Cb.

I really like Bishop versus Von Schill and Perdita.

He's super worth the 10 SS in those specific scenarios.

Adding to Magicpockets statement,

You'll also drop the Treasure BEFORE you take the move.

So you won't pop 18" and then drop it.

With the models your friend has (3x Ronin and Librarian) they are at 22 points. The Viks work well with a large cache, so with a maximum cache of 8 that will take them up to 30SS.

Even in 35SS games which are quite popular, you would need to sacrifice 5 of the 8SS to add Bishop, whereas the Convict Gunslinger (at 5SS) would leave your 8SS cache in tact.

Bishop is just too expensive.

Taelor on the other hand does work quite well in a Viks crew, so the boxset isn't a complete waste!

Bishop is pretty much 100% defensive versus Ranged crews.

1 AP 8" charges, 7 Cb 8 Df with 10-12 Wd.

His best use is throwing him in a group of Ranged models and locking them down.

They won't be able to shoot out of combat, and if disengaging you're at a 7 (potential 9) Cb.

I really like Bishop versus Von Schill and Perdita.

He's super worth the 10 SS in those specific scenarios.

You can do pretty much the same thing with 2 Ronin and they would have more defense that way. In fact it would cost you the same and, in my opinion, would be far and above better.

With two Ronin you get Hard to Kill, Df 8, Harmless and a total of 12 wounds. They hit harder and move almost as fast. Their downside comes from having Cb 5 instead of Cb 7 - 9 which still only does 1/2/4.

Bishop is just not as good as anything else we have for close to that price. Even Hans, with his Cb 5, finds his way to lists now that he is minimum damage 3.

which is a shame I think. I also really like the Bishop model and frankly his rules are really cool, it's just that price tag. If he was 8 I think you would see him a lot.

Maybe I will make a list to complement Bishop. Perhaps lead by Schill?

Even at 9 I think he would get more use, at 8 I think he would be considered very strong.