New Paint Tray

EricJ

Ok, so I mentioned it in my Miss Pack thread, that I have a new paint setup/paint tray. Basically my goal was to get something which I could transport my entire painting setup on, and I could just put it away on a shelf when I wasn't using it. This is what I came up with

PaintTray1.jpg

That's right, it's a cookie sheet from Bed Bath and Beyond. It works PERFECT. The main thing is that it's metal. I've attached rare earth magnets to the bottoms of everything, my water cup, my paint brush holder, all my paints, even my palate, and of course the minis I'm working on. The result is that everything is stuck to that tray and isn't about to go anywhere. You can see the crew I'm working on stuck to the right edge, and the current mini I'm working on stuck to the left edge. I even attached all my tools around the edge with magnets. see my hobby knife:

PaintTray2.jpg

So Bottom line:

Cookie tray from BB&B = $6

Rare Earth Magnets = $9

Not having to give GW any more of my money = Priceless

that's it!

yep, just used a knife to clean a spot big enough for the magnet, and superglued it on. voila! They do fall off from time to time, but just another dab of glue sticks them back on.

Since this works so well with a paint tray, and since all my minis will already have magnets on the bottom, I expect I'll get another smaller try to store minis on, as it makes them exceedingly easy to carry around when they're stuck down to the tray. (BB&B sells smaller versions of the tray for about $4 too)

Even the paint brush holder is magneted down, and sticks nice and strong.

That's a really cool idea. I'm always having to put my paints, minis, tools etc away and then spend 10 minutes getting them back out when I get a few minutes spare to paint. Seems so much more effective, I imagine it helps keep the enthusiasm there for painting when getting everything out/tidying everything up would normally sap it a little :)

yeah, it takes me 15 seconds to have everything out in front of me and the same time to put it away. And for the deep investment of about $25 (I got 2 types of rare earth magnets at about 9$ a set of 50 or 80), it simply does not take much to get it up and running. Personally I'm loving it, as I just get it out and work on a mini for even 10 minutes, when I find the time.

Love it and appreciate you giving us an insight into your set-up (a picture tells a thousand words and all that). Your palette certainly looks.. well used, looks like a ceramic tile. I used those back in the days when I actually painted (I only ever painted in my local GW - now closed - due to the lack of space at home).

Mind you, need to be careful with the water, etc as that ain't stuck down, but I'll certainly look at doing a similar set-up. My problem is mostly a lack of any space or surface to set-up on (at least when I go back home).