Missing the point

goldenjester

I've been looking at the Purifying Flame for my Sonnia crew, but I'm not sure I can see the point. For most of Sonnia's spells, we need a high tome for the totem. I'd rather save that high tome for one of Sonnia's casts. Maybe just use it for flame walls? I don't know. Experienced Sonnia players; do you use the Flame? Or is it a waste of SS?

I picked up the Sonnia box recently and bought the Governor's Proxy instead of the Purifying Flame in case I ever wanted to take a totem.

The Governor's Proxy can cast Sonnia's spells just as well. It may be susceptible to ranged attacks, but most models that kill it will die, also. The Wp bonus is great, and so is its Governor's Decree that lets you remove suits from opponents' Cb and Ca.

I don't see many situations where I'd want the Purifying Flame.

Edited by Atherzon

I played Sonnia (and the game) for my 3rd time tonight; 1st time with Purifying Flame. This is only anecdotal evidence from one game, but I was kind of disappointed in its performance. It's Ca is pretty low for most of Sonnia's spells. I want to keep trying to use it and see if it's worth anything (plus I love the paint job I did on it).

Only totem I've ever used with sonia was student of conflict...but most of the time id just rather have the extra soulstones

I really like the student, an extra cast is always welcome in my eyes

Also try hiring Hamlin and the the Essence of power, Hamlin himself is a lot of fun with Criid and the Essence is the one of the most effect totems for Criid, but depends on what you like more spell or spells with a :+fate

her totem can hurt itself then let her violate it to get a witchling on the cheap. But apart from that not something I've considered taking and I've never tried that trick yet as there are usually better things for her to be attacking since you're usually having to burn a stone to get violation off it doesn't really add much.

If you do it that way make sure it has inferno up so that it can explode doing massive damage to things around it.

I play a more passive aggressive game with Sonnia so I will generally have a better time with a student of conflict and park her near my enemies objective and just blow them away when they get near it

I'm tempted though to stop playing with totems and taking extra things to vary up my strategies with her and take different models

If you do it that way make sure it has inferno up so that it can explode doing massive damage to things around it.

I play a more passive aggressive game with Sonnia so I will generally have a better time with a student of conflict and park her near my enemies objective and just blow them away when they get near it

I'm tempted though to stop playing with totems and taking extra things to vary up my strategies with her and take different models

Can't cast Inferno though, as it's a 0 action. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Just saying, I'm not giving up on the Flame yet. I want to play it a few more times and get a feel for its strengths and weaknesses myself. I suspect it can be really helpful with the right crew & schemes. I'll probably never take it to a tourney, but in my normal weekly games I want to see what it can do a little more before I discard it.

Its a beatiful model,and I love the way it looks. but it doesn't really seem useful. The Governor's proxy is really good if you aren't facing terrifying models.

I actually think the student of Conflict might be a very useful model to park next to Sonnia and give her Fast.4 flame bursts in a turn would be awesome.