Off Topic Playground

That's one of those tricks I'm still working on figuring out myself, giving the setting enough of its own life to be a character. I've read some excellent authors who have managed to pull it off, but I haven't been able to figure out how yet.

And one of the LGS's is doing a Beer and Pizza tournament nearish to me. I may have to bring the pain. And by pain I mean beer, since I only drink Guinness when I game.

Reasonable choice.

Morning, everyone.

Morning Dirial. How'd the job counseling go? Oh, and thanks for posting that bit about German school system on the world wars, reminded me how stupidly pointless the American school system is with history. :P

I agree, that was a good read.

Morning Dirial. How'd the job counseling go? Oh, and thanks for posting that bit about German school system on the world wars, reminded me how stupidly pointless the American school system is with history. :P

I agree, that was a good read.

Morning Ed and Justin.

I'm glad I could share a bit. To be fair, our school system has its own fair share of failings. I was lucky that I had some good teachers, but I also had some shitty ones and basically stared at them for 2 years and learned nothing. It's this one topic we make sure no one can miss, and there are still asshats who think the Third Reich was basically a good idea. I'm just glad that those people have to conspire in secret, because when they speak up, they get hit with the full force of the law.

Justin, good call on closing the soapbox for a time. Hopefully it cools of a bit.

Edonil, the job counselling was okay. I had to talk a lot about myself, and we made a lot of additional appointments. Looking somewhat forward to it.

I'm curious: Where are you living, Ed? You are here way earlier than the other Americans, but you have been through the American school system. How come?

Heh, I live on Lake Erie in the US. I just work 3rd Shift, so I work all night and sleep all day. I get in to work around 21:30 EST, and I'm here until about 06:00.

Glad the counseling went well enough that you want to continue working with that counselor! Hopefully that continues on.

I was a bit disappointed that the soapbox was closed, though I didn't see any of the content that was removed. It sucks that it got that out of hand - I hope to see it come back at some point, and hopefully people won't bait/provoke/abuse Ferossa and others next time around. I had a mind to post about "hypocrisy" in the context of systematic inequality, but Justin hit the lock button 15 minutes before I got in to work this morning.

School is all about the teacher. Working in the system in particular, I saw great teachers at "bad" schools and bad teachers at "good" schools.

This, totally this. I had some teachers who were fantastic in a lot of topics and other teachers where I wondered how they were passing their evaluations, and I went to the second best high school in the state. My favorite teacher was probably my US History teacher because if you didn't understand the material but had relied on being able to regurgitate dates and names on demand, you failed. It was challenging because every test was in essay form and I loved every minute of it. Also he challenged a lot of the bad history I had gotten up to that point by actually discussing the issue instead of just lecturing out names, dates and places. A lot of people hated him because you couldn't just breeze through his class on autopilot, lol.

• Like 2

Heh, I live on Lake Erie in the US. I just work 3rd Shift, so I work all night and sleep all day. I get in to work around 21:30 EST, and I'm here until about 06:00.

Glad the counseling went well enough that you want to continue working with that counselor! Hopefully that continues on.

Ah, that explains it. I was asking myself whether you emigrated to Australia or something.

School is all about the teacher. Working in the system in particular, I saw great teachers at "bad" schools and bad teachers at "good" schools.

Yep, no difference here.

I was a bit disappointed that the soapbox was closed, though I didn't see any of the content that was removed. It sucks that it got that out of hand - I hope to see it come back at some point, and hopefully people won't bait/provoke/abuse Ferossa and others next time around. I had a mind to post about "hypocrisy" in the context of systematic inequality, but Justin hit the lock button 15 minutes before I got in to work this morning.

Hm, would have been interested to read that.

My personal opinion is that Ferossa is a troubled individual whose troubles are sadly very real. It makes me sad how people treated her, although I understood some arguments against her standpoint. Hard to keep a level head in those circumstances, for everyone.

The soapbox is a good idea, but while some of us tried to use it to exchange arguments and make a rational discussion out of it, others threw around polemics and blame. No side was really better than the other at it (although I logically found my side's arguments more compelling).

• Like 4

Sadly enough, I have yet to be off this continent, lol. Travel is expensive. Gencon isn't that long of a trip from where I'm at but still represents quite a bit of planning and investment. One day I intend to make it to Europe though, and maybe elsewhere.

morning everyone. It's crowded already.

@Dirial, glad to hear the councelling went well. 

@Viktoria, *hugs* I hope the report is good. 

My personal opinion is that Ferossa is a troubled individual whose troubles are sadly very real. It makes me sad how people treated her, although I understood some arguments against her standpoint. Hard to keep a level head in those circumstances, for everyone.

The soapbox is a good idea, but while some of us tried to use it to exchange arguments and make a rational discussion out of it, others threw around polemics and blame. No side was really better than the other at it (although I logically found my side's arguments more compelling).

I think there are several people in that thread that did see arguments against their standpoints to be personal attacks against them, which is a bad mentality to have in a discussion.

In other news, I saw a game of Age of Sigmar in action (sadly couldn't play myself) Didn't seem too bad.

Morning, PD.

I think there are several people in that thread that did see arguments against their standpoints to be personal attacks against them, which is a bad mentality to have in a discussion.

Exactly.

Sadly enough, I have yet to be off this continent, lol. Travel is expensive. Gencon isn't that long of a trip from where I'm at but still represents quite a bit of planning and investment. One day I intend to make it to Europe though, and maybe elsewhere.

Well, holler if you come through here. I'll be glad to show you around.

In other news, I saw a game of Age of Sigmar in action (sadly couldn't play myself) Didn't seem too bad.

So, were the players the good ones, or the rules, I wonder.

• Like 1

Were they using the special rules as written, or removing the silly to just play the game?

They didn't seem to use the Silly rules, which I can agree on, because those are just dumb.

So, were the players the good ones, or the rules, I wonder.

Game seemed pretty close until the dwarf player decided to roll only 5s and 6s. :P

Morning All.

Dirial thank you so much for answering my question so completely and honestly. I did not expect such a personal experience to be included within your answer and such a show of personal emotion is heartening to see. Thank you so much.

Morning All.

Dirial thank you so much for answering my question so completely and honestly. I did not expect such a personal experience to be included within your answer and such a show of personal emotion is heartening to see. Thank you so much.

Morning.

You're welcome. That topic is quite emotional for me and a lot of my countrymen. It's not easy to talk about, and a lot of us cope with it in a deeply personal way. I am happy to share when I feel comfortable in a certain group. It probably added some perspective on my convictions in other areas, too.

Morning.

You're welcome. That topic is quite emotional for me and a lot of my countrymen. It's not easy to talk about, and a lot of us cope with it in a deeply personal way. I am happy to share when I feel comfortable in a certain group. It probably added some perspective on my convictions in other areas, too.

I can only begin to imagine, and understand how hard it was to talk about. I really am very grateful for the insight. I remember going on a field trip to Caen with my school when I was 13/14 and I managed to track down the graves of 3 of my great uncles, standing there looking down was a really poignant moment for me and I too cried seeing those crosses being so close together and seemingly endless in all directions. I remember thinking at the time what had happened to the German forces and it wasn't until I visited La Cambe that I felt completely overwhelmed with the scale of what had happened, I think I honestly cried more at La Cambe due to the fact that so many of the graves had so little information present on them, no name, no age, only where the person fell. It was honestly aweful

I've not visited the war memorials for the world wars, but I know I had a sense of it when I heard a song from the band Dropkick Murphy's that that someone wrote after visiting one of the graveyards for those lost in WWI called the Green Fields of France. Beautiful song but it really drove home the cost of those wars in a way I hadn't had happen before that.

Here's the song for anyone curious: