Off Topic Playground

Just popped in to the "oath" thread over in the other forum I post at. Saw it started a few years ago as a way for the 40k players to get their crap painted. You post a promise to get X models done by the end of the month and if you didnt they'd change you avatar to oathbreaker. Neat idea, but checking back in, now it's got company sponsors and crap tons of prizes and stuff. Its crazy how far its come

Woo, I'm being reclassified as an employee, and they're going to raise my contract to minimum working standards!

Oh wait, they're going to charge me employment insurance and such before we get to make a bargaining agreement to get our wages to a decent level. I'm now slightly poorer.

Sigh...

Post-docs formed a union, and so are now entitled to make a bargaining agreement to get a minimum standard for our contracts. Before we can do that, the university has decided to officially make us employees (which we weren't before), which means we get taxed every month (yay!) and have to pay employment insurance and such (boo).

It had been hoped that the bargain we would make would raise our wages to cover the extra cost of that, as well as providing a better standard wage. But they've gone and done this before we get to that point, so we suffer first. Not the first thing they've done to try and punish us for wanting to be treated like actual people...

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Kind of funny, if it wasn't wrecking my bank accounts slowly! lol