Off Topic Playground

Heh, I just bought an airbrush to try it out, so yeah, it's a bottom feed. I got a Badger 350F-9 with a coupon. I do want to look into getting a better airbrush, the stuff I've seen people do with a brush on even a 28mm piece is very impressive. Got any recommendations that won't break my bank account?

I dunno man, I use some nameless Chinese gravity feed and it works fine for what I need it - priming, zenithal priming, basecoating and shading big areas like dragon wings. Plus I'm not afraid to experiment with it, if I break it I'll just chuck it and get a new one.

Amazon had a huge bargain lately, Badger Sotar 20/20 for like -70%, pity I had absolutely no spare money at the time :(

Never use bottom-feeds for miniatures, these are for painting large areas (like car details or something). And side-feeds are only for floor & ceiling work so you can angle them up/down and not spill anything.

Also, if you're using a cheap/bad compressor, you can make an equalizer tank(or whatever it's called) from an old metal fire extinguisher if you can thread/weld metal. Add a regulator and a moisture trap (you should have those anyway) and voila, cheap compressor becomes twice as good.

I use one that's very similar to this one.

The key words are dual-action and gravity-feed. I was recommended it by the Buypainted guy (look him up on youtubes) and it works. The reasoning was that I don't need super-precise work at the moment (I bought a better compressor for the future though), most differences in quality between an off-brand one and a good Badger/Pasche/Iwata will fly above the head of a beginner, and I can learn how to use/strip/clean it without much risk.

And PM me later, I'll try to find some videos/tutorials.

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

I forgot: you want internal mixing.

Wow, that was a bit of a rubbish shopping trip! I was tempted by von schill - out of stock. Also by the PHR starter army for DzC - out of stock. And by Archangel - out of stock. lol

Lucky the drug store had hte brace for my thumb, or it would have been a total fail! heh

That, and shine gave me my Izamu. So I'm tempted to start him...

Not sure, probably. Will try in a bit with it on, but it has a solid bar that runs from my wrist to almost the tip of my thumb so might spoil my grip a bit. Might be that I can rest it in the brace to immobilise it fully, then take it off to paint.

Some form of tendon problem. I think I know what it is, but without actually going to a doctor I can't be entirely sure. Hurts though, so I'm hoping immobilising it a lot of the time will keep it under control enough for me to carry on without the medical nutters getting their hands on me!

It does make it impossible to hit the space bar with my thumb though *grin*

I want a big steel talon to replace it with. But I haven't designed the synthetic nerves yet to control it...

I'm not keen on the treatment options, so I'm holding off on visiting the medics. Hopefully my sister will be too busy to look at it when I'm home too, since she's one!