Off Topic Playground

Yup, saving $80 per month by waiting 24 hours to watch shows.

I keep trying to tell my girlfriend we should cancel cable, because between Hulu Plus and Netflix, we are covered, especially since we rarely watch things live anyway.

Have my first game of Kings of War arranged for this evening, I need my fix of fantasy battles

I hope you enjoy it. It's a very different animal from Warhammer- positioning and tactics are more important than an amazing army list.

All the same. Did you know Germans call British people "Inselaffen", meaning island monkeys, as a derogatory/affectionate term?

The Russian word for German, nyemets, is a bit of a derogatory term too. It's derived from the word for "silent"- apparently to the ears of Russians, German had (has?) far more consonant sounds than vowel sounds, so the language sounds like a bunch of whispering and hissing. So Germans are "silent people."

I would not be surprised if there's a term for Russians in German that translates to "vodka drinkers" or "winter loonies" or something.

Common German toilet joke: "Na, wie läuft's?" It's a common greeting like "What’s up?" but literally means "How is the liquid running?"

Preferably that's being asked at the urinal and not while you're in a stall.

Have any of you guys seen Archer?

Just picked up the first series second hand for £1.00 in the exchange shop.  I have heard good things about it...

It's so weird having multiple friends and acquaintances that work or have worked on that show.

I keep trying to tell my girlfriend we should cancel cable, because between Hulu Plus and Netflix, we are covered, especially since we rarely watch things live anyway.

That is what we have done, saving £60 ish a month that goes straight on Malifaux!

That would be one of the two auctions for it. So you'd better get it now ;)

Meanwhile, so many Ramos, Hoffman and Marcus... poor, unpopular sculpts lol

I don't see it spiking up that high so quickly, but you never know... I'll get it eventually.

That's the one, Ben. I'm surprised there's no love for Hamelin's avatar...at least the model, anyway. It's a great piece- it'd be among my first choices for a painting competition because it needs almost zero additional stuff.

Aesthetically, it's one of the better ones, IMO. I'd probably get him too, if I owned Hamelin's crew, or even just his model.

Preferably that's being asked at the urinal and not while you're in a stall.

Yes!

The Russian word for German, nyemets, is a bit of a derogatory term too. It's derived from the word for "silent"- apparently to the ears of Russians, German had (has?) far more consonant sounds than vowel sounds, so the language sounds like a bunch of whispering and hissing. So Germans are "silent people."

I would not be surprised if there's a term for Russians in German that translates to "vodka drinkers" or "winter loonies" or something.

Nah. They were called "Iwan" in the past, today they are just "der Russe" (always singular). Legacy of the Iron Curtain, I presume.

Ramos's Avatar is actually pretty nice. It's just a bitch to assemble. One of my friends used him a lot- In 1.x he's super-Ramos, and not that hard to manifest, either.

I like Rasputina's avatar even though it's one of the plainer ones.

I thought most people didn't like Hoffman's avatar because it was hard to use, plus it came out really late because of production issues. When the model was released, it was all of, what, two months before M2E rumors started, and that was that. It's a nice kit:

02ca4108.jpg

Some avatars are very sweet model wise indeed. Such as Hamelin and Sonnia's. 

I still would have liked to see Shenlong "The Dragon"'s avatar, but I still think that art/model has been repurposed for the Emissary.

Sounds reasonable.

If nothing else, I will be buying the starter set on Gencon weekend. It'll be a convenient way to teach people how to play, or for super-fast pick-up games since the sides are balanced against each other. I like the concept of the Dark Carnival crew but I don't think I'll be getting one.

That's the only reason I would own Colette. Her concept never appealed to me. Now there are models that do appeal to me and use the same mechanics. I am okay with the huge price tag. Means I have to buy less for my free model. 

Heh, interestingly I do like the Dark Carnival style-wise, but Colette's mechanics never appealed to me :P So I could care less.

Starter is something I need to get ASAP though. Easy for demoing.