Off Topic Playground

they could... teach students how to think... instead of what to think... and look for the reasons behind their reactions to the book instead of the reason for stupid details in the book... they could look at human interaction in the book and compare it human interaction on a base level in real life... I hate that English teachers feel the need to <force> their students into the symbolism of the book. Some kids GET deeper concepts, some don't but to force the concepts down everyone's throats... *shakes head*

Semantics... we call it English Class, but we never teach students how to SPEAK proper English... we try to get them to read... Therefore it should be called Literature class... or at least Language Arts. But if they call it LA, they should be required to do more writing and less reading. If you teach a Reading class, the students should not be learning grammer.

Technically speaking, Students need to learn: reading and analysis of Literature, Writing of creative and professional papers, Grammer and word usage, and English ('cause half of the kids in this school have to be reminded on a daily basis that they CAN have a pass, but they have to ask appropriately to get it....)

I once had a kid hand me a paper and ask me to read and edit it for him. I read the first two sentances, realized the two page paper was on paragraph filled with "u" instead of you and "w/in"s and I told him that until he wrote all the words out and organized it, I wouldn't read it. He got really mad, and I never saw the paper again.

On a more amusing note, my first year here, a student asked me to read his rough draft about Beowulf. I agreed, and promptly lost it because instead of writing "Mead Hall" he wrote "Meat Hall". While appropriate, I couldn't help but laugh... a lot. :D

You could burn it...and all copies...

Okay, Twilight may be crap (I will admit, I have read all the books, but Haven't seen ANY of the movies). But if a series can get a generation of kids to pick up and ENJOY reading a book, I don't care what it's about. These kids need to realize that there are more books out there than the crap their teachers make them read. And the only way to do that is to give them something they feel like they CAN read. So sure, it's bad writing, and a crapy overdone plot. But it got an entire generation of girls who thought reading was dumb to pick up a book, and another, and another... and then, when they were done... they went looking for more.

How many people read The Da Vinci Code? You want to talk about Crap writing.... If I sit down to read that book, I do it with a Pencil, because I can't help but edit that stupid thing....

Okay, Twilight may be crap (I will admit, I have read all the books, but Haven't seen ANY of the movies). But if a series can get a generation of kids to pick up and ENJOY reading a book, I don't care what it's about. These kids need to realize that there are more books out there than the crap their teachers make them read. And the only way to do that is to give them something they feel like they CAN read. So sure, it's bad writing, and a crapy overdone plot. But it got an entire generation of girls who thought reading was dumb to pick up a book, and another, and another... and then, when they were done... they went looking for more.

How many people read The Da Vinci Code? You want to talk about Crap writing.... If I sit down to read that book, I do it with a Pencil, because I can't help but edit that stupid thing....

Good point. Maybe a handful of them will go on to read something else.

Ah, Castle...I so enjoy this show...anyone else watch it?

Tis a very good show......so what season are you watching..I think i've just watched the third...

Good point..and the DaVinci code sucks...and so does the film.

;)

Um. My problem with Twilight is content, not the writing. I'll freely admit to the fact that I haven't read it, so I can't comment on that. My problem is that this is a series that implicitly, or explicitly, teaches girls that abusive relationships are perfectly fine, that relationships that should be dropped and are frankly insane are fine...Yeah. That's where the core of my problems comes from.

I want to...

for one reason....

*smirks*

(shakes head)

Still not out on DVD here. But is on my reserved list on Lovefilm as I've heard good things.

It's awesome.

They showed them on alibi..probably still do...if you have sky or possibly cable..not sure about freeview.

And I STILL find myself whistling that damn theme tune!

I'm currently watching the latest episode.

Um. My problem with Twilight is content, not the writing. I'll freely admit to the fact that I haven't read it, so I can't comment on that. My problem is that this is a series that implicitly, or explicitly, teaches girls that abusive relationships are perfectly fine, that relationships that should be dropped and are frankly insane are fine...Yeah. That's where the core of my problems comes from.

+1

20080505.jpg

Head_Trip____Breaking_Dawn____by_shinga.jpg

I will hold my hands up and say i haven't read the books. But that is because I have been put off by the insipid films...that whinesome girl just drives me to madness...

And as for the twinkly vampires..purrrrlease!

Have to admit the werewolves side of it is pretty cool...

And god, I know its supposed to be...but that Forks place is depressing....does it exist in real life...hate to think of what the suicide rate is there...

Rant over...

;)