So I have just recently received Abuela Ortega as a gift and the painting and basing of her shall ensue. This thread shall follow that.

-Abuela has been primed in a white acrylic and, here, I have begun painting her skirt blue.

abuela__primed__by_kirigakurenohaku-d3dn9em.jpg

-Painting has progressed to leave me with the whole of her clothes (save for her hat) complete. Her skirt is blue with an implied floral print about the fringe, her shirt is pink, and her jacket is a sort of dark beige.

Her base has also been constructed out of polymer clay and gravel from just outside my door. The gravel will go unpainted, but the brown plastic will be given color in acrylic. I am thinking that her chair is going to be done in a manner to look like wood with red paint and a ram's skull worn off.

abuela_wip_by_kirigakurenohaku-d3dn9zx.jpg

abuela_wip_by_kirigakurenohaku-d3dna18.jpg

-So, the product! I painted much of the details with a toothpick (I so need to look into getting a good detail brush to replace my last one...) here is what we have; the rocking chair has been painted in Guild red, faded at the butt and back to imply being worn and the skulls have been done in the style of el Dìa de los Muertos.

abuela_ortega_by_kirigakurenohaku-d3dq5n7.jpg

abuela_ortega_by_kirigakurenohaku-d3dq5lj.jpg

abuela_ortega_by_kirigakurenohaku-d3dq5jp.jpg

Edited by KirigakurenoHaku
Updated

Thanks you all, I am glad that the rocking chair went over so well! ^_^

So, the product! I painted much of the details with a toothpick (I so need to look into getting a good detail brush to replace my last one...) here is what we have; the rocking chair has been painted in Guild red, faded at the butt and back to imply being worn and the skulls have been done in the style of el Dìa de los Muertos.

abuela_ortega_by_kirigakurenohaku-d3dq5n7.jpg

abuela_ortega_by_kirigakurenohaku-d3dq5lj.jpg

abuela_ortega_by_kirigakurenohaku-d3dq5jp.jpg

(Added to first post)

Your choice of font colour makes my eyes bleed!

Yeah, sorry about that. ^_^;

Other than that, I really like the piece. The rocking chair is a stroke of genius!

Excelent work my good fellow. I do enjoy the skulls the most I would say, the fact that you have tied in a very culturally rich and quite interesting holiday to your piece speaks volumes to the attitude of the model herself. Well done.

Thank you both so very much! I'm glad that you both enjoy.

I am seriously considering having mine in front of a rocking chair now as well. Maybe If I were feeling really adventurous,do some cutting and greenstuffing and having her actually IN the rocking chair lol.

I would like to see that!

If you were to give your chair arms, too, that could help to hide the cute you make in the model's back side. I would very much enjoy seeing that!

The chair is really well made and positioned cleverly on the base so that the whole thing doesn't look overbalanced. But I'd recommend going back over the wood with some overbrushing. Real old wood like that just isn't brown. It's grey and white and orange and black and even a bit green, but it just ain't brown. An overbrush of lightening shades of grey and perhaps some stippling would make it look a bit more like it had actually spent a few decades sitting on some Bayou porch.

R.

The chair is really well made and positioned cleverly on the base so that the whole thing doesn't look overbalanced. But I'd recommend going back over the wood with some overbrushing. Real old wood like that just isn't brown. It's grey and white and orange and black and even a bit green, but it just ain't brown. An overbrush of lightening shades of grey and perhaps some stippling would make it look a bit more like it had actually spent a few decades sitting on some Bayou porch.

R.

While I do agree that the color is somewhat improper (I had not considered the affects of aging prior) I do not feel that your choice of color is what is right here. My Ortegas are all based with elements of the Arizonan/Mexican desert. The old wood that I see around here, depending on type, is either a dark brown or a faded yellow, greying in the most extreme cases, and I do now intend to revise the porch to mimic such.

Thank you very much for the feedback; I do appreciate it. I do so welcome any future criticisms that you may have to offer, or any others, perhaps, of Abuela?

Do you feel at all that the hue of her hat is too pure or does such a strong red seem appropriate for such a strong personality?

Edited by KirigakurenoHaku

This is the sort of colour I had in mind:

http://willows95988.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/08/oldporchchair_2.jpg

However, I realize that this is a rattan chair. I've seen other chairs with a similar colour to yours, but they are all sanded smooth and varnished to enhance the natural colour of the wood. Abuela's chair is clearly rough-cut (see the depth of the visible grain). A sandy yellow would, though, work nicely. Something like Citadel Tausept Ochre followed by a light overbrushing of Dheneb Stone or Bleached Bone?

As for Abuela herself, I think her hat is awesome. Main crit, if anything, is that the colour of her smock and the colour of her skin are too close and her features are lost. I'd say a wash on her face of Ogryn Flesh or - for a much darker finish - Devlan Mud would give her a more weather-beaten, darker flesh, and if you lightened up the upper half of her smock with the original basecoat and perhaps mixed with some white for the raised areas, the two would stand more distinctly apart.

Not sure about the bandoleers. I know leather does come in that shade, but again I think it's a bit too light...? Perhaps a Devlan Mud wash is all it needs just to darken the recesses and act as a dividing line between the bandoleers and the smock. Personally, I'd've chosen a darker brown for the leather (even the same colour you've used on the chair), but that depends on what effect you're after, I suppose.

R.