Colette Related questions

ThatPirateGuy

I have a few questions. I'll ask the question and put what I am assuming the answer is. I'd really appreciate it if someone could let me know if I am getting these right.

Q1) When casting a spell through a totem do the caster's triggers apply?

My A1) No, only the totem's triggers apply.

Q2) When casting a spell that requires the discarding of a soulstone is the soulstone discarded if the casting value is not met?

My A2) No.

Q3) Can I target my own models with Magician's Duel? The obvious idea here is to kill my doves with the trigger activating for 2 soulstones for the cost of only one.

My A3) No, I cannot target my own models with damaging spells.

1. Only the totems triggers apply

2. Discarding a soulstone is an additional requirement that must be met to successfully cast the spell, though this step comes after you flip and cheat for your casting total, therefore you can choose to not discard a soulstone to have the spell fail, as it would anyway.

3. Yes, you can target your own models with spells, unless the spell specifically says otherwise.

I have a few questions. I'll ask the question and put what I am assuming the answer is. I'd really appreciate it if someone could let me know if I am getting these right.

Q1) When casting a spell through a totem do the caster's triggers apply?

My A1) No, only the totem's triggers apply.

Q2) When casting a spell that requires the discarding of a soulstone is the soulstone discarded if the casting value is not met?

My A2) No.

Q3) Can I target my own models with Magician's Duel? The obvious idea here is to kill my doves with the trigger activating for 2 soulstones for the cost of only one.

My A3) No, I cannot target my own models with damaging spells.

How are you getting 2 Soulstones with Magician's duel. The trigger is for dis act and discharge soulstone. Both of them cost a stone to use. Net result would be one ss and dove would cost you that.

Discharge ss will work but being as you had to spend 1 or 2 stones to get the dove in to play in the first place its not the most usefull thing in the world. the fact you can just use the dove as a stone any way makes this of limited use but I could see doing it once in a while if the situation was right.

wait...

A2) No.

That is right? WOOOOHOOO! if so that is awesome as half the soulstones I used in the last game were failed casts to either summon doves or blast people.

Discharge ss will work but being as you had to spend 1 or 2 stones to get the dove in to play in the first place its not the most usefull thing in the world. the fact you can just use the dove as a stone any way makes this of limited use but I could see doing it once in a while if the situation was right.

This is a waste though. At best ,it costs you 1 Soulstone to get the dove into play. Then it costs you one more Soulstone to even cast the Discharge Soulstone spell. So you've now spent two. At best, IF you have the :masks trigger, you would get 2 Soulstones from killing your own Dove. So I don't see the benefit to doing this.

wait...

A2) No.

That is right? WOOOOHOOO! if so that is awesome as half the soulstones I used in the last game were failed casts to either summon doves or blast people.

No, that was the original poster's assumption on how the rules work. If you successfully cast the spell (meet the casting total, a 14 :tomes in this case) then you must discard the Soulstone, regardless of whether your opponent makes their Resist duel or not. This is why I often find myself burning an additional Soulstone to add to the flip whenever I do Discharge Soulstone. ;)

Remember for Spell casting duels you generate your total first and complete the spell cast. So if you fail to make the the casting duel total you do not need to spend the stone, but if you succeed then you need to spend the stone before your opponents generates his resist duel back.

That was actually what I was asking.

The number of times in that game I just plain failed to reach the casting total due to sheer bad luck (oh hey Black Joker...) or -ve flips when low on stones was shocking.

So if you fail to reach the casting total you do not spend the stone.

If you meet the casting total you spend the stone irrespective of whether the enemy then resists.

Thanks! You've just made my Colette more effective!