New Neverborn Player

Wintersmith

Just saying hello. I've settled on the Dreamer as I love the idea of a small child murdering things through his dreams. Perfectly creepy.

So, I've bought the Dreamer starter and I have a Teddy on order. Early games will probably be in the 15 to 25 ss range. Are they any suggestions for what to get next or any tactical things I should test out. I've read the Dreamer tactica which sounds interesting.

Add a pack of daydreams, they are really useful for burying and unburying nightmares which is kind of critical to the way the Dreamer plays.

Oh good, I thought I might want more Daydreams and Alps so I ordered those as well. Hopefully the LGS gets them in shortly.

My complete list of orders:

Teddy, Day Dreams (3), Alps (3), Malifaux Rules Manual Handbook

As far a painting/modeling goes I want to do the bases up as a parquet wood floor and then use miniature toys (like the stuff you'd find in a baby/child's room in a dollhouse) to make it all look like a twisted play room. If I can't find inexpensive kids toys I'll have to make my own via Prosculpt.

I might end up making a mold for the parquet floor for the bases as well. I'd hate to have to make a ton of those.

Alps are a good pick up. even if you dont get crazy with the Alp Bomb they are still cheap and do some damage.

I hadn't planned on it. The gaming group in the area is generally casual so I don't want to completely kill the fun. I'll ease them in to it, using a couple alps here and there as an 'Alp Firecracker' until they have a good counter. Then the bomb comes out.

I've always like lelu and lilitu with my dreamer. They r nightmares, and lelu hits hard, while lilitu lures you foes closer to Mister chompy. Nom nom nom. ;)

Dreamer is by far my favourite master, becauae he is fun, and competitive. Plus like you said, a little boy murdering people with just his imagination is creepy and awesome at the same time.

I hadn't planned on it. The gaming group in the area is generally casual so I don't want to completely kill the fun. I'll ease them in to it, using a couple alps here and there as an 'Alp Firecracker' until they have a good counter. Then the bomb comes out.

Sounds wise to me :)

I have not tried Lilu and Lilitu yet, though i have been reading up on them and want to see how they do!

I've always like lelu and lilitu with my dreamer. They r nightmares, and lelu hits hard, while lilitu lures you foes closer to Mister chompy. Nom nom nom. ;)

Dreamer is by far my favourite master, becauae he is fun, and competitive. Plus like you said, a little boy murdering people with just his imagination is creepy and awesome at the same time.

Funny cuz I always take the twins with my Zoraida crew. I like to go with the big scary stuff ala:

Dreamer/LCB (+6ss cache)

Teddy

Coppelius

3x Daydreams.

This let's me get 8ss max if I only go with 1 scheme, and I've got what I need to eat face. :D

My advice would be to try proxies of Coppelius, Teddy and the Twins (you "always" field Lelu and Lilitu together) , then swap them out till you find the combos that you really like, then buy that.

My advice would be to try proxies of Coppelius, Teddy and the Twins (you "always" field Lelu and Lilitu together) , then swap them out till you find the combos that you really like, then buy that.

That sounds like a good call. Right now I'm looking at the following start 25 ss list:

Dreamer/LCB.

Coppelius

2xStitched Together

3xDaydreams

That should give me a pretty strong list to learn. I can trade out Coppelius for a Teddy later, or drop a Stitched and a two daydreams to run both. I can also switch a daydream out for an alp should the mood strike me. :)

Welcome WIntersmith! Sounds like you already read my Tactica, hope it helped you out along your path to fluffy doom =)

As for what you should add, everyone is right on the money. In the end.... you really want all the Nightmares =) They are fantastic and all have their uses in various games. But for just starting off, I think you have a great list there. It will give you a nice introduction to how the Dreamer plays and the Stitched Together can really put out a lot of damage.

In your future purchases you want the Twins next by far (Lilitu and Lelu) as they are just pure awesome. They have a lot of power and a lot of synergy together and can really do a number on anyone.

Teddy is always great and the 3 teddy List at 35ss works... it works almost to well in some cases =D. Otherwise experiment! As long as you are using Nightmares, the Dreamer will do well. It will really just vary how much hit and run you have to do mixed with how much debuff/support you can manage and when to drop LCB on them.

Good luck and if you have any other questions, ask away!

Fair enough. Do you ever find yourself wishing you'd brought another daydream? Or do you ever find yourself wishing you'd brought an alp?
If you find your self wanting another Daydream just summon one during the game. In fact it is a good strategy to reserve the soulstones to summon a daydream after you popped out LCB and want to bury him to retreat the Dreamer after killing something.

Ok, another question though this is rules and not list related:

Let's say I have the Dreamer out. He flys up and uses My Nightmare Friend to unbury Lord Chompy Bits with a shared activation. LCB then attacks and kills something, triggering All Done. The Dreamer unburies and flies off to hide.

Ok, so later in the turn I activate a daydream and unbury Lord Chompy Bits. At this point, LCB had already activated earlier in the turn. Does he gain another activation or does his previous activation in the turn mean that he just gets unburied somewhere else (handy for getting out of harms way) to wait around for next turn?

Edit: I'm really liking the feel of this Master/List. I can already feel strategy folding out in front of me like some great tree. Possibly a tree with a corpse or two hanging from the branches.

Edited by Wintersmith

Let's say I have the Dreamer out. He flys up and uses My Nightmare Friend to unbury Lord Chompy Bits with a shared activation. LCB then attacks and kills something, triggering All Done. The Dreamer unburies and flies off to hide.

Ok, so later in the turn I activate a daydream and unbury Lord Chompy Bits. At this point, LCB had already activated earlier in the turn. Does he gain another activation or does his previous activation in the turn mean that he just gets unburied somewhere else (handy for getting out of harms way) to wait around for next turn?

Edit: I'm really liking the feel of this Master/List. I can already feel strategy folding out in front of me like some great tree. Possibly a tree with a corpse or two hanging from the branches.

No, once he has activated for the turn he is done activating. He would just pop out and not be able to do anything. If you could get a "re-activate" on him then he could. Alas, at this time I can't think of any way of doing that. Maybe the next book will give The Dreamers crew something that can cast/give re-activates.

No, once he has activated for the turn he is done activating. He would just pop out and not be able to do anything. If you could get a "re-activate" on him then he could. Alas, at this time I can't think of any way of doing that. Maybe the next book will give The Dreamers crew something that can cast/give re-activates.

OK, good. That was my interpretation but reading some posts about him indicated that he might be able to reactivate. Still, a "Get out of dodge" ability is not to be sneezed at.

You haven't quite got this right.

Dreamer Activates, unburys Lord Chompybits.

Lord Chompybits activates, doies his thing, and triggers all done. The Dreamer re-appears, but he has already been activated this turn so can not fly off anywhere.

Lord Chompybits activates, doies his thing, and triggers all done. The Dreamer re-appears, but he has already been activated this turn so can not fly off anywhere.

*Aaangh* Wrong answer.:D

A Daydream unburies LCB which then he activates eats something, creates a daydream to bury him and the other daydream, or triggers All Done, then the Dreamer comes out and flys off with the last action point(s).

Otherwise Ardan is right, no activation for the Dreamer or LCB.

Remember LCB is a nightmare.

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

Ah, gotcha. No problem there. I'd be better off leaving Lord Chompy Bits out to weather the counter attack and then unbury the dreamer using a daydream somewhere else on the board.

*Aaangh* Wrong answer.:D

A Daydream unburies LCB which then he activates eats something, creates a daydream to bury him and the other daydream, or triggers All Done, then the Dreamer comes out and flys off with the last action point(s).

Otherwise Ardan is right, no activation for the Dreamer or LCB.

Remember LCB is a nightmare.

Adran had my interpretation of the way it would work correct. However, thank your for posting as this is a new method of doing the job that I rather like. :)

Edited by Wintersmith

• 3 weeks later...

As far a painting/modeling goes I want to do the bases up as a parquet wood floor and then use miniature toys (like the stuff you'd find in a baby/child's room in a dollhouse) to make it all look like a twisted play room. If I can't find inexpensive kids toys I'll have to make my own via Prosculpt.

I might end up making a mold for the parquet floor for the bases as well. I'd hate to have to make a ton of those.

Hardwood floors and go to the jewlery section of a hobby store and buy some charms for the toys, they are just the right size, thats what I used.