Showgirl question

Ageral

I have just started getting my toes wet with Malifaux ( and really love the game / minis / fluff so far). I picked up the showgirl box a box of the mechanical doves and a coryphee.

Since Malifaux is new in my area/club (my and a few of my friends being the first to pick up any models) we currently run 25ss and will probably be stuck at that level for a bit while people figure out the game and decide how much they want to invest into it.

I have been doing a lot of reading around about Colette a crew (including the tactica, well most of the tactica) and have a couple of questions about a 25ss list.

First it seems at this level two performers are not ideal, they have their strengths but when you start looking at the coryphee card it seems they would be a great asset. But looking at it I would think you would want to take two so you can do the duet, at that point (if I am remembering ss cost right) you have to drop both performers. Is it worth it? Or is it worth dropping one showgirl for a coryphee?

Like I said I am really new to the game, have only played a couple of games. It is just something I have been thinking about. Any advice would be not only welcome but appreciated! :)

Well, I really don't like playing the Coryphees without running both of them. At 25 SS, I might be likely to just simply run Cassandra and the two Coryphees, honestly. I guess it kind of depends on what your strategies/schemes are though. Unfortunately, Colette's crew doesn't do as well at point levels below 30 SS, IMO. But, that said, Cassie and two Coryphees is 23 points, leaving you with a Cache of 5, which is pretty good. Start your first turn by having Colette make 2 extra SS, and then burn one of them to Summon a Dove. Then, hopefully summon one more Dove on Turn 2. That should give a good starting base.

The Performers are support (debuffing) models so you want other models that can take advantage of debuffed enemy models. In a 25 Soulstone list you won't have those options. I don't like taking Performers until around 35 Soulstones.

Individually each Coryphee is easy enough for most models to kill in one activation. 4 Wd isn't enough for any 7ss model and the weakness of the Coryphee is in melee.

[25 Soulstone list]

Pool: 5 Soulstones

* Colette (Cache: 3)

9 Cassandra

7 Coryphee

7 Coryphee

@micahwc: The only times I have ever lost a Coryphee Duet (and both times they were at full health) is from a single activation of McMourning and Lady Justice. With Ramos the Steamborg Executioner can kill them, plus his crew tends to have armor and exploding spiders. The Showgirls basically fight in melee, but against better melee crews they can be easily slaughtered. If you want to kill Coryphee Duet or any other Showgirl then use whoever is fast and good in melee.

Thank you for your responses.

@MrNybbles: So would the idea be to make the duet one turn one? From what you were saying it would seem dangerous to leave them running around solo for too long. Does only having three models really hamper you ability to deal with objectives? Or does the quickness of Cassy and the duet help deal with that?

Disclaimer: I know to really figure a lot of this stuff out I just need to play some games, I am just trying to get a basic idea for how my crew is suppose to work so I know what I need to be trying to do. :)

One Coryphee is a nuisance, but can be dealt with by most crews. Two Coryphee making a Duet is fearsome, especially if you can isolate an enemy model or two with the Duet and Cassandra.

I don't tend to make the Duet until I know I need it, as having the two models helps with activation order. In small crews you can be easily out-activated, so keep the Coryphee separate as long as you can and make Doves as well.

Thank you for your responses.

@MrNybbles: So would the idea be to make the duet one turn one? From what you were saying it would seem dangerous to leave them running around solo for too long. Does only having three models really hamper you ability to deal with objectives? Or does the quickness of Cassy and the duet help deal with that?

Disclaimer: I know to really figure a lot of this stuff out I just need to play some games, I am just trying to get a basic idea for how my crew is suppose to work so I know what I need to be trying to do. :)

Make Doves. Try to make one on at least Turn 1 and Turn 2, and then you'd have 5 activations. Plus, keep one of the doves nearby to the Coryphee all the time, so that they have a Soulstone if they need it before they activate for that round.

In my experience this is what happens.

Turn 1: Coryphees start opposite of the rest of the crew in the deployment zone. The player has taken and announced power ritual. Before moving he has half of power ritual completed. Coryphees move forward and dance together.

Turn 2: Coryphee duet moves straight forward and gets the third corner for power ritual.

Turn 3, sometimes 4: Coryphee duet completes power ritual for ,I think, 4 VP when announced.

The duet doesn't do a whole lot of damage to me, but I have a hard time stopping it from completing the power ritual.

In my experience this is what happens.

Turn 1: Coryphees start opposite of the rest of the crew in the deployment zone. The player has taken and announced power ritual. Before moving he has half of power ritual completed. Coryphees move forward and dance together.

Turn 2: Coryphee duet moves straight forward and gets the third corner for power ritual.

Turn 3, sometimes 4: Coryphee duet completes power ritual for ,I think, 4 VP when announced.

The duet doesn't do a whole lot of damage to me, but I have a hard time stopping it from completing the power ritual.

Well, Power Ritual USED to be worth 3 VPs in Rising Powers, but it has been knocked down to 2 VP max in the Rules Manual which is good (no Schemes give 3 VP now). And yes, it can be rather tough to stop the Coryphee's from pulling off the Power Ritual Interacts. The best way to do it is to station pieces near the corners, as you cannot Interact while engaged in Melee with an opponent. Now, of course, the problem really comes from the Coryphee's ability to attack while it's moving, so it can often make a run for those corners, and still hit things along the way, causing a real headache overall.

Just got to be careful that they don't get too far away from the rest of your crew, especially against certain matchups. For instance, the Viktorias will easily smash the Duet, especially if the Viks can win an initiative and pounce on them when they don't have Use Soulstone yet (thus, why it's essential to keep a Dove or two nearby). Lillith can also pull this off pretty easily, as well as the Dreamer/LCB.

Reading how you mention to beat a power ritual brought up another question I had. A models ability to stop their movement and make a strike move then continue their movement, does that strike move cost an AP or is it part of the (0) point ability? Or does the (0) point ability just allow the model to stop, spend an AP to make a strike, then continue?

Everyone else seems to have beaten me to this one today. :)

Coryphee, Coryphee Duet, and Cassanrda ARE the objective takers of your crew so having a smaller crew doesn't hurt you here. The only place it really hurts you is when you want your opponent to run out of activations first. As was said earlier, the Mechanical Doves really help with this as well as finishing the first Coryphee's activation, then having the second one Dance Together if you need the Duet.

Before deployment you should figure out what you are going to do and what your opponent will also do. Knowing how other crews work, what Stratagies and announced Schemes they have help, but the more you play the more everything comes together.

Some games I need to take objectives to win and play more pro-active, and other games I need to sit back and wait for my opponent to come after me because my opponent has Slaughter.

Edited by MrNybbles