Cheap grunts for Hoffman

Ratty

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you were doing a Hoffman crew, which of the cheap guild grunts would you use to bulk out activations.

Hounds, Guard, Death Marshalls or Witchling Stalkers.

Don't forget Steampunk Archanids. I know you have to pay a premium for them, but when Hoffman is attached to a swarm he becomes a combat monster, and think of all the scrap counters !!

Don't forget Steampunk Archanids. I know you have to pay a premium for them, but when Hoffman is attached to a swarm he becomes a combat monster, and think of all the scrap counters !!

You can always take them as a swarm and break them first activation... they come in at 3 1/3 ss instead of 4 that way.

Friend of mine was thinking about the swarm and other ramos constructs too.

The abilities Hoffman could get look awesome on the paper.

He hits pretty hard with his weapon and melee master from the swarm or with 3 little spiders and his spell.

And self repair, but that you could also get from the guardian.

You can always take them as a swarm and break them first activation... they come in at 3 1/3 ss instead of 4 that way.

I was thinking this the other day actually, its a good way to get cheapish spiders into the crew.

I know the individual spiders are insiginificant, but I imagine there will be enough scoring stuff in a Hoffman crew for that not to be an issue.

With all the synergies that Hoffman has with constructs, other than shooting, which can be provided by Ryle anyway, I am not sure what GG, DM, or WS would bring to the crew.

And if you do go for Ramos, please leave Hamelin alone.... I need someone to Brawl with Levi :)

Good idea on the Swarm :)

I would go with Watchers, Hounds and Guard, but that's just for the fluff. I haven't really looked at how Hoffman plays with DM or WS.

Watchers are completely support, they can't do any damage at all. They are good but I think the crew needs something cheap that can do some damage.. Swarms is a good idea.

I'm might eventually do Hamelin, but Levi is higher up my list...

Hmm maybe that's not what you wanted to hear.

Hey, no worries. You will probably have Hoffman, Levi, Ramos and Hamelin up and running by the time I have finished painting my Freikorp !!

I like the idea of Hoffman assimilating the power cycles. I don't have the books to hand, but as long as there is nothing to stop Hoffman from recruiting the Mechanical Rider, then I don't see why he can't use the power.

Er.. what's the point of Override Edict, most constructs are Immune to Influence?

Hoffman has the nifty ability to allow friendly Constructs nearby to ignore any of their abilities. This can be used to make Ryle count as friendly, prevent the Peacekeeper from malfunctioning and also allows them to ignore Immune to Influence when targeted by friendly Rst:Wp spells.

-Ropetus

Ryle Cant connect

"This model never considered a friendly model to it's crew for the purpose of selecting a target for talents of spells."

Targets the key word. Hoffmans ability to ignore his cant connect is bypassed as it does not target.

As long as he is in range he can bypass the ability and ryle becomes a valid target.

On the subject however Watchers are a lot more then support. They are fast flying and are not insignificant. You run them to grab objectives as hoffman runs around with Ryle or the Peacekeeper to smash face as needed.

Edited by tadaka

Ryle Cant connect

"This model never considered a friendly model to it's crew for the purpose of selecting a target for talents of spells."

Targets the key word. Hoffmans ability to ignore his cant connect is bypassed as it does not target.

As long as he is in range he can bypass the ability and ryle becomes a valid target.

Exactly! Tadaka gets the cookie =)

Quick question could Hoffman assimilate the power cycle ability from the mechanical rider?

If yes it could also be a nice option.

He could but it would do nothing for him. The key reason for this is the first line of Power Cycle: "At the start of each Activation Phase .." so since he won't have this on him at the start of the Activation Phase, he gains nothing from it.

Good thinking though! Keep looking for nifty things like this.

Hoffman wrecks face with Ryle. Using machine puppet you can make ryle shoot 6 times in a turn. The second 3 attacks would have 6 rather then 5 cb and adds crit strike to his shots. If you dont get 2 rams for the extra shot take the crit for extra damage.

Another fun trick for hoffman is to use a soulstone miner to gather mutiple abilities at once through Assimilate.

Turn one copy tunneling and bury him. Next turn when he pops back up have him assimilate a new ability. Bury him again. As long as he is not in play at the end of turn the effect will not wear off and you can grab another ability every turn.

Think of the fun this causes with the following spells.

Steamborg

Steam Cloud up all game long

Melee Expert

Terrifying

Arachnid

Disruption field

self repair

Melee Master

Strength in numbers

Joss

Take Dynamic Generator and start getting counters for a later taken forcefield

Edited by tadaka