Guild Guard....How best to use them?

Absolution Black

Okay, I'm a relative noob to MAlifaux, only started playing just after christmas and I have become hooked on the Guild. I have all the starter boxes and will get the complete range eventually.

So, I have three guild guard and the captain. But what i want to know is:

1) Do these models work better with any particular master, or are they pretty much ok with any?

2) what is the best use for them? Any good combinations or strategies i should know about?

Thanks for any help you can give. I like the models a lot, so want to know the best uses for them.

Welcome to Malifaux and Guild!

1) Definitely Lucius has most synergy with the Guards. He has plenty of abilities that enhance their combat abilities and is pretty much meant to be played with a Guardsman Crew.

However, other Masters can also benefit from them. Guild has many ranged attackers and the Guardsmen can drop impassable terrain to prevent enemy melee models reaching them. Perdita or Sonnia will appreciate this very much. With Lady Justice they can prevent some enemies from moving and thus protect her from getting overwhelmed in melee.

2) First thing to know about them is: if you take them, take a bunch. Half their abilities require there to be other Guardsmen around. A lone Guardsman is far less useful than a group of them.

Their most useful abilities are law enforcing, as in controlling where your opponent can move. Halt! and Menace can be used to stop a single model while Cordon drops an impassable line between two Guards. This is the main reason to take more than one as a single Guard cannot utilize this spell.

They are ok in combat. While Stalkers are great in melee, ok shooters and Death Marshals good ranged attackers and ok melee, Guards fall inbetween these two. Better than Witchlings in ranged and better than Marshals in melee. They have Armor which is a rare ability for Guild models so they are actually quite durable for Guild models.

Guards are good for the front lines to slow and bog down our enemies.

-Ropetus

I use three guild guards in my main LadyJ/Lucius army and love them! they get a positive flip to damage with their guard pistol and crit strike with their swords in melee. Also as stated above, the armor 1 really helps them stick it out for the long haul.

Lucius has an ability to order guardsmen or elite division models to either take a move action or a strike and with casting focus that means you could either walk a guardsman 12 inches, take three attacks (either crit strike melee or positive flip ranged), or any variation there of. Yes please! A few of them are easily able to hold up an opponent long enough to get the heavy hitters in or for getting objectives. All around great unit for only 4 soul stones. Hope this helps!