Getting others interested in Malifaux

Zond

I recieved a belated Christmas present at a New Years party last night, consisting of the Malifaux rulebook and the Ramos, Som'erteeth Jones and Zoraida box sets.

I got up this morning and devoured the rules and background and fell in love. I want to show this off to my friends and get a few games going.

Are there any box sets or models that would really help show off the mechanics and feel of Malifaux? I'm thinking of picking up some Guild and Resurrectionist boxes to show off more of the background, but I love the entire model range. My main concerns are getting the feel of the game across, as well as creating enjoyable and balancing intro games. I'm learning this too, so anything easy would be a plus! :) I've got no problem buying more stuff so if the current box sets I own get sidelined for a month or two to get this all up and running, I've got no problem.

I've already ordered the expansion rules, so it's just a case of where to go from there.

I'd love any and all advice. Kevin :)

Edited by Zond

for intro games i wouldn't really recommend any that you have D:

Zoranda could be used for intro cos she can bring a lot of model variety to the table.

Ramos is ok to start with but takes a while to really shine,

Sommer is very hard to work and you need to buy a lot more models to boot.

The easiest starters I can see really are;

Perdita (an her family)

Lilith,

Lady Justice,

Seasus,

Victorias,

These masters can be played pritty much out of there starters and be fun

Alondir has it pretty much right.

Lilith and Perdita is a fun match since they counter each other...almost.

All of those he listed are pretty easy to learn, so if you were doing demos I would pick those to get people started.

If you aren't worried about difficulty then you could always try different masters that excel and a certain thing....like The Dreamers alpha strike (he's the king of them), Nico's Zombie Horde, Raspy's Ice Mirrors, and things like that.

The masters of the boxsets that you already have are all sort of supportive with pseudo-summoning abilities (although I'd say there's still a significant difference in the general playstyle of each of them).

So maybe go for a more aggressive master with your next buy, if you intend to show different aspects of Malifaux to your friends.

Alondir listed the masters that are generally considered the easiest for beginners and they're all rather aggresive so would complement the others well in that sense (Seamus being more debuffing and occasional crazy damage).

If you intended to go for Guild, Perdita can seem way overpowered in the beginning of a playgroup, so I'd suggest Lady Justice instead.

Personally however what I find the most interesting about Malifaux is the complexity of some of the masters - Pandora, Leveticus being prime examples - those are generally not adviced for beginners (which I think is exaggerating as they are not -that- difficult), but represents a different side of Malifaux.

Soeh yea.. You could pick alot of crews and each would be played differently.

I would suggest that you flesh out the ones in your boxes first though.

A Voodoo Doll is critical for Zoraida for instance and you might desire some strong and Obeyable minions for her aswell.

Som'er is difficult and you can go in multiple directions with the Gremlins, but imo you should always bring a few Mosqitoes with him.

Maybe look through the tacticas for those three first and then decide upon some additions.

Standard playing decks work just fine (with Jokers included), but the Fate decks are a very good thing to have.

Also, if you want an easy to learn arcanist, Rasputina is certainly a good choice.

She's a rather balanced Spell-based master, which will bring some variety to what you have already.

Lilith, Lady Justice, Rasputina, Seamus, and the Viktorias are pretty much the most basic masters, each from a different faction.

Second the recommendation of filling out the Some'r crew with some more gremlins, pigs, skeeters, whisperer, taxedermist, stuffed piggies, slop hualer and lacroix's. The gremlins are probably one of the most versatile of all the crews in Malifaux. In my opinion they are great for showcasing the game because of this (Plus who doesn't enjoy the little buggers).

Welcome to this side of The Breach. And that WOW! factor you described is pretty much universal in all of our experiences.

If you can give us some idea of where you live, there may be established players in that area who are also active in this community who could hook up with you. And we're all riding on a bit of an evangelical wave here these days, so help & encouragement will always be readily available.

The advice given to date is pretty much bung on, but Rasputina is another good starter. Depending on how you're looking at insinuating this into the collective conscience of your circle, it's a very viable plan to have a small spread of masters from different factions that can be played using the KISS principle.

In my mind, this would be:

Guild - Ortegas :sleeping:

Resurrectionists - Seamus :wacko:

Arcanists - Rasputina :damnmate:

The Neverborn - Lilith :hail::adore::hail::adore::hail:

Outcasts - Viktorias or Freikorps. :umbrella:

(Hint: my personal bias just might show through with some of the smilies, so do take them with a grain of salt.)

Keep the early games at around 25ss to start (K.I.S.S.), so that your inevitable coterie of new residents to Malifaux can focus on getting used to the rules & protocols of the game while still getting a feel for the very unique look & feel of each faction & crew.

And have fun.

:marshmell:marshmell:marshmell:marshmell:marshmell

Edited by oozeboss