Neverborn masters and crews you pick to counter a master

Tiny

It was brutal. We both felt bad as soon as it happened. His ENTIRE crew was inside the 6" blast radius. I was able to cheat the difficulty of the Df resist up to 17 so only perdita was able to avoid it. He felt like an idiot and I felt like a bully.

In his defense he was expecting me to break out Lilith. It would have been a lot more effective that way.

It was brutal. We both felt bad as soon as it happened. His ENTIRE crew was inside the 6" blast radius. I was able to cheat the difficulty of the Df resist up to 17 so only perdita was able to avoid it. He felt like an idiot and I felt like a bully.

In his defense he was expecting me to break out Lilith. It would have been a lot more effective that way.

Isnt it you both determine your masters before you go to crew hiring? Shouldn't he have known what master you had before even going into crew selection? Or did you guys do another way starting a game?

In my experience, Papa doesn't fare much better against Lilith. Tranposition + Whirling Death. All in all, don't take Papa against Neverborne. In every game I'v played against him he kills more of his own guys the the enemy's. Now, he's usually good for killing a few of the enemy, but it just ain't worth it. Especially against the 'Borne.

The Doppleganger allowed me to throw the whammy on Papa before he could be obeyed 3 times across the board to explode on me (Perdita companioning Abuela, Enslaved Neph, then papa). And when I say "allowed me" I mean he would have won the initiative if I hadn't had "her". And my opponent actually started 10ss up on me. He opted for 10ss more models and gave up the second master.

And my understanding of set up is you choose faction at the begining, not masters. Hiring masters is done at the same time you hire the rest of your crew.

And my experience with Lil is anything that explodes on death sucks. Papa and the witchling stalkers all really hurt when they blow up in melee range to do me harm.

Edited by deadboy

Well, I do have the exploding problem with stalkers and Tina's constructs. Papa, though, not so much. But, I also usually have a Doppelganger to copy some kind of gun (or dynamite) to cap him with rather than wait around to deal with him up close. And I keep him a fair shot away from Lilith herself, especially with the transpositioning. YMMV, as with all things.

I'm going to be a bit of an arse and say Zoraida for all of the above matchups. :rolleyes:

My reasoning is that she can adapt her playstyle to suit whatever situation you're thrown into, and she can support whatever crew you need to fulfil your strategy/schemes. If your opponent is knows you're taking her then her playstyle is very difficult to predict, plus if you know what you're doing she's very, very hard to kill.

The only exception I'd conceed would be what I'd say is Z's worst case scenario - Hoffman. Zoraida can feasibly get around all the immune to influence constructs with judicious use of an Insidious Madness & Hex, and with the right strategies/schemes she might not even need to engage them. But Pandora just doesn't care about ItI and can feasibly beat them down regardless.

EDIT:

I'll be in the same tournament - Tiny is actually driving me the 275kms from here in Sydney to Canberra the day before the event

Damn, I finally find get a job in the Eastern States and the first available Malifaux tournament is too early for me and in the wrong city. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rathnard

^^^why Hex? Doesn't work on immune to influence models as they're, well, immune to influence ;)

...The Insidious Madness's ranged attack removes immunity to Wp duels. This lets Zoradida to cast Hex on the model hit by an Insidious Madness and remove Immune to Influence...Thus allowing you to obey/bewitch the minion as normal in subsequent turns. :D

...The Insidious Madness's ranged attack removes immunity to Wp duels. This lets Zoradida to cast Hex on the model hit by an Insidious Madness and remove Immune to Influence...Thus allowing you to obey/bewitch the minion as normal in subsequent turns. :D

Evil..... I love it =D

I think a lot of people forget about madness's weapons effect, I know a lot of opponents certainly do.

Well Hex has a much longer duration..

Plus your opponent will probably start thinking about killing the Insidious Madness once it starts stripping ItI from his models. ;)

It all depends on the situation, really.

If you plan on pretty much just recruiting the target model to your crew and obeying/bewitching it regularly then the Hex is worth while. But if you just need to do some damage to it / it's friends that turn, then Zoraida could stick with obey/bewitch.