Greetings, Salutations, and Diceless Joy

i_was_like_you

It's been about a week since I've been introduced to Malifaux. A couple of friends and I had stopped in at JAC Games here in Akron, Ohio. Another friend had mentioned Malifaux to the one guy, and he showed us just what it was.

All the years of mini games being overly expensive to buy and build a consistent game winning army for just to lose to a poor dice roll are all now over. So are the days of painting those pricey figs just to have a careless dice toss chip them. Hurray for fate decks. I may just be able to drag a few more friends away from WoW and back to real gaming. Dice have been the bane of one of my friend's existence when it comes to gaming, but he's always had, to borrow the Yugioh phrase, "the heart of the cards" (even though we play Magic the Gathering, not Yugioh).

The factions all have their perks. Think I'm going to start out with the Viktorias, opting out of a second master in a brawl for the extra soulstones.

Great choice for your first crew !

I know it is early days for you, but I would consider adding The Friekorps at a later date. The two crews compliment each other nicely. I have only just picked up the Freikorp, but I can see both Von Schill and the Librarian getting a lot of use alongside the twins.

Have fun and let us know how you get on.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the support.

The Viktorias crew is fun. I've added Hans and Convict Gunslinger, but I've mostly been using it as a backup crew for teaching other players. My other crews are the Dreamer / LCB and Lilith in a turn one growth spurt from tots to mature nephilim.

My friends have the following crews:

Noir :seamus :pandora :rasputina and :lucius

Bun :kirai

Deno: :colette

Last night was our last night at 25ss. Tomorrow we're upping it to 35ss. I'll get to use my Nekima proxy.

Oh, good news for Akron, Ohio, Malifaux players:

JAC games will be hosting a Malifaux game night (in addition to their sporadic Malifaux matches) on Friday, February 25th.

Edited by i_was_like_you
testing smilies

Printed out the strategy and scheme cards. Time for us to step things up a notch today. We'll certainly be needing a bigger table soon. We've been using a table that's only 30" across, which leads to us getting into combat far too quickly and can only lead to completing some strategies and schemes much too quickly, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, using Viktorias, a Student of Conflict, and five Ronin, I beat Colette and her showgirls 2-0.

The first game was close. I was down to two Ronin versus Colette, a Mannequin, and a Mechanical Dove.

I didn't overextend myself the second game, so I was able to keep both of my Viktorias safe. Killing one of the Coryphees during the first turn ensured I wouldn't have to face the Duet later on. Cassandra's breathe fire was a bit of a nuisance, but not nearly as bad as her southern charm. Colette activated before Cassandra the next turn, allowing me to dispatch her with Ronin before she could turn on the charm. Turn three I managed to wipe out Colette with shots from two Ronin, a Dove with my Student of Conflict, a Coryphee with Sword Vikie, which triggered Whirlwind, which in turn killed a Performer, leaving only a Mannequin left on that crew.

We had the shared Strategy of Distract, which gave me 4vp. I also had used the Scheme Kill Protegee, announced, for another 2vp when Cassandra died. My scheme of Frame for Murder failed because Colette didn't kill my Sword Viktoria.

Edited by i_was_like_you
Left out Cassandra's demise.

Sounds like your game went very well. I'm always interested to read strategies against Arcanists, since that's who I'm usually playing against.

Also, to speak to your first post...since picking up Malifaux, I haven't logged on to WoW. This has been the first game to bodily grab my attention away, so good luck on getting your friends away from the computer screen and into the game room :)

I am really glad to hear that you are enjoying the game, especially with the Viktorias. I have never tried running five Ronin, but I must give it a go.

Just one thing, you may want to consider shortening your signature. It is a touch on the long side, and I think it may break some of the forum rules.

Sounds like your game went very well. I'm always interested to read strategies against Arcanists, since that's who I'm usually playing against.

Also, to speak to your first post...since picking up Malifaux, I haven't logged on to WoW. This has been the first game to bodily grab my attention away, so good luck on getting your friends away from the computer screen and into the game room :)

Arcanists, although they can be a pain, seem to go down easily if you have anything that can either bum rush them or have long enough range with enough models to just run them out of high cards and soulstones to modify their defense with.

I've had to face down Colette a few times, and Rasputina once. I may not have to deal with Marcus for quite awhile, at least not in my gaming group, as no one has bought him. Same goes for Ramos, but I'm considering picking him up for myself. We're doing a fairly good job not stepping on each other's toes over which crews we run.

Anything that can get a person away from WoW is to be commended. My buddy Chris used to run tabletop games all the time, before Everquest came out. Last I'd seen him, he had nine computers running EQ: Five for himself and four for his wife. He has since switched over to WoW. He says it fulfills his need for roleplaying. *shakes head* To me it's just click, click, kill, and I'd rather click, click, kill on an FPS, where I know that it's my prowess that's getting better, not my toon's.

Which crew(s) do you run? And which of the Arcanists (and other crews) do you tend to face off against?

Edited by i_was_like_you
Added quote for which the reply was written.