First game with Seamus

Kds54

Just had my first game of Malifaux yesterday and i used my Seamus crew against my mates Viktorias,and basicly he absoulutely kicked my asse! Was great fun though but would love to know what to add to the starter crew to make him better? Basiclly I found Seamus himself good but the belle's and sybelle i struggled with. Any help would be much appriciated

I like Bete Noire in almost any resserectionist crew and she can certainly pack a punch.

Punk Zombies are also excellent and the combination of your belle's luring some of your friends crew closer before them being jumped could also work well, although the PZ don't work so well thematically with Seamus.

Do you have his totem, not too sure of his effectiveness but I do love the little guy?

Also, what strategy/schemes were you guys playing? Remember you can still win the game even if your crew takes a pasting...

Glad you enjoyed your first game. I fully support both Chucklemonkey and Peoples Champ in advocating Punk Zombies. Wouldn't leave home without them. Paired with Belles they make for an excellent combo; good board control coupled with decent damage output.

As Peoples Champ says, put up your list, but also your opponents list, that way we can get an idea of the match up.

Just for information, I run Seamus with 2 Belles, 2 Punk Zombies, a Necropunk and Killjoy in a 35SS game. Does leave me a bit tight on Soulstones but having Killjoy sat on the table edge, itching to get into play seems to reduce my opponents desire to kill anything of mine for the first four turns. And even if he does get killed quickly, he's normally diverted attention long enough to prevent my opponent making his objective or to allow me to make mine. But as always, crew lists are very dependent upon your own play-style.

Personally, I don't use the Copy-cat Killer (in lists where I have stones to spare) as I don't feel it gives enough bang-for-buck, I'd rather use the Grave Spirit. I haven't had much success with Sybelle either, for some reason I just can't get the most out of her.......

Hope things go well next time.

And yes, we must get round to having that game and pint, although unlikely to be this side of Christmas at this rate

Viks pretty much stomp new players because they are pretty straight forward. They hit hard and there's two of them.

Seamus has a lot of ways to deal with them though. You wanna play the WP game with them. Remember that they are living and will have to take the Terrifying test if they are within Seamus reach (or better yet 4" after you cast that spell). Make sure you lower their WP with your (0) action as well. After they are falling back they are sitting decks, shoot them in the back with their :-fate twist (no cheating) and it will hurt pretty bad.

Take some hanged and really spam WP test on them and they will be in a tough spot.

We both used the crews strait from the box. Plan on playing again between xmas and new year so wana get some new models for the crew by then. I'm liking the idea of punk zombies,and i've already ordered bette noir :) Think he's planning on getting a convict gunslinger and some ronin.

Aye also struggled a bit getting the most from Sybelle, although I did find doing nasty things to people as she died quite useful in 'The Scramble for the Gin' as she has a couple of good debuff spells she can use as slow to die actions if you have the right cards. I also found a cheeky use for call belle to get a bell to and picking up the treasure marker in turn 2 of the game.

The other good thing that she can do is the "Everybody moves" trick, with Seamus companioning her, and Sybelle companioning every other Belle. Believe me that intimidates the enemy something fierce.

I have a really hard time with Sybelle, too. With a Grave Spirit, she can really take the hits...but I have found, after 5+ games using her in counter-attack mode, that she's unable to return the hurt. Every flurry I've used has flubbed or done minimal damage.

It's been a very frustrating experience, but only on the offence. On the defence, Sybelle + Grave Spirit generate the same frustration in your opponent. :) (I've picked up Sebastian, just to see the difference in damage output)