First Stumbling Steps: Hag Love

oozeboss

Blame Rathnard. :worship:

I tentatively came in to this game thinking, Err - mebbe Gremlins. Read the various factional fluff, and thinking immediately became NEVERBORN. Read Rathnard's tactica & various posts, and thinking was W'oh baby: :elefant:ZORAIDA:elefant:!

(And hey - I'm 53yo, so at my age she looks like gaol bait! :hahaha:)

To put the following orbat in to context, I want to play with the same basic figures in order to get my head around rules & tactics, before branching out to the other Neverborn crews. I'm looking at playing in a big 6 round 35ss tourney at the end of January 2011, and a much smaller & cosy 1 day affair (40ss) in about a month.

Aim is to use the latter to gain hands on experience (probably while getting spanked), in order to be more fun & viable by January. The January event is allowing three lists, but I'm tending towards just one with which I have some familiarity till I get really comfortable in this brave new world.

Heck, I just want to play!!!

So my 35ss version is:

Zoraida

Voodoo Doll (no brainer)

Killjoy

Doppleganger

3 Silurids

(40ss version has extra Silurid, so as to keep the basic shape of the crew in preparation for the event with smaller sized armies, but far more of them in a more competitive contest.)

The Hag's favourite sage & pin-cushion, Rathnard, stated that: "As far as [he's] concerned, Killjoy is a tactic, and a potentially fun one at that". :worship:

So the Great Master Plan is for Zoraida to spawn Killjoy from a Voodoo Doll, then Raven the heck outa the way. Then with her & the Doppla (+ subsequent Voodoo Dolls) having an Obey-fest, the Mighty Fisheez Krewe using their speed to outmanouvre any opponents, and good ole Killjoy just plain being good ole Killjoy, games could get seriously brutal & a whole lotta laffs. :elefant:

I'm confident that my paint scheme will make the army look quite good, but am I simply creating a crew that will live fast, die quickly & have a good looking corpse. Or does it have potential, and if so, what basic principles do I need to apply to be competitive with it?

Good luck with Zoraida. I bought her a few months back and as I've only played for about 3 months she dose take some concentration to work out. Can get a bit confussing. I use the same list apart from I have a Matur Nep instead of killjoy. Never thought of using him. Ill have to read up and give that a thought. I find with the Mature Nep I can carry Zoraida to a good position (normally up high) first turn to give here a good field of view to cast spells. Do remeber to activate the voodoo doll first and use an obay if possible from him then get Zoraida to summon another and you got a fresh doll for another obay. By doing this and with the Dopp if you got LOS you can get 4 obays off a turn.

I find Zoraida if like a Swiss army knife. She has something to do for 99% of occasions and don't forget her 4in move at the end of game. I've lost a few game due to forgetting that little ability. Have fun and good luck m8.

Edited by vineuk

Blame Rathnard.

Hoo haha!

I tentatively came in to this game thinking, Err - mebbe Gremlins. Read the various factional fluff, and thinking immediately became NEVERBORN. Read Rathnard's tactica & various posts, and thinking was W'oh baby: :elefant:ZORAIDA:elefant:!

Horray! Another convert. I'm glad I could convince you of the virtues of playing everyones favorite crone. :D

Anyway, I think your list definitely has potential. Killjoy is an absolute beast in melee and he can be very difficult for your opponent to put down. But be careful about throwing him unsupported into your opponents entire crew, since he probably won't last the turn if they can concentrate most of their offensive power against him.

The silurids should complement your crew nicely. If you stick with making hit and run attacks they should do well, and they're fast enough to claim points for your schemes and strategies as well (which is something Killjoy isn't always that great at...unless it involves killing everything of course). ;)

That said, I think you should consider getting some more bait for Killjoy. The voodoo doll is a great sacrifice target (especially when you can companion Z, blood sacrifice, and then activate Z to Obey Killjoy into charging what you want!), but having no other decent targets for blood sacrifice can limit your ability to get Killjoy into the right place at the right time. You'll be restricted to where Zoraida summons her voodoo doll, and a smart opponent will work that out pretty quickly and avoid your killjoy trap like the plague.

With book two, an alternative is to use a summoned (or purchased) wicked doll, who can wander around on his own before running up and summoning killjoy, or teleporting to Zoraida and summoning killjoy. That teleport ability will at least give you some flexibility in where to place killjoy, although the doll itself is not particularly hard for your opponent to kill.

But regardless of whether you want to try the Wicked doll or not, I still think you should add a terror tot or two. They have the speed to get close to your opponent before popping killjoy, and they're also great for helping to achieve those many strategies that don't require you to wipe out your opponents crew. ;) Terror tots are also great for just distracting key enemy models for a turn, either to keep them in place while killjoy catches up with them or to prevent too many opposing models from ganging up on Killjoy.

To free up the points, I'd consider dropping the Doppelganger. The :-fate to your opponents initative flip and the ability to throw more obeys around should be great, but I think the terror tots will actually prove more useful in this crew. You could drop a silurid instead, but I've always been reluctant to take less than three - a trio seems to make for such a nice alpha-strike, and losing one won't force them to take wounds from unstable evolution, which gives them a degree of redundancy.

One final thing - 35 points will usually give you enough flexibility to take on most strategies/schemes and while it's a good idea to stick with a few models while learning the game, don't get into the mindset that you have to use the same crew every game.

I've gotten to the point where I almost never decide on a final crew until I see the table, flip for my strategy and (if house rules allow it) I've seen my opponents master. I'll sometimes deliberately select certain minions that I want to try out regardless of the above, but aside from that my crews are usually selected at the last minute.

Anyway, good luck with Zoraida and let us know how it goes! :D

as i stated before, my favorite master! i have lady justice and ramos, but every time i just want to play zoraida, good choice.

Rathnard, i have been waiting a lot to buy some more models for her, mostly because i wanted to stick to a bayou voodoo feeling, so finally i think stitched together are perfect for zoraida, do you think is a good addition? thks

zoraida`s boobs = frightened opponent =)