Suggestions for Sci-fi Skirmish game?

thomasff

So I am officially addicted to the skirmish-level with Malifaux now, but lately I have been trying to track down a sci-fi game with the same elements...primarily good game mechanics, fluff, excellent minis, and campaign/encounters. So far i have been mostly looking at Infinity, AE Bounty, and maybe Mercs but I know there is alot more out there. Thoughts?

Infinity is one of the fastest playing and most dynamic games I've seen in a while.

but it's also the hardest on new players. it's possible to lose, and lose bad on the opening turn if you don't use cover and your reaction fire well...

Necromunda has a bajillion scenarios, fan and official, a campaign system, and you can use darn near any models for it...

but is GW, and not designed for "competition" but for fun....

Gorkamorka is arguably the best scifi skirmish level game out there, ever, but you gotta love orcs...

Savage Skirmish will do scifi, IIRC, they have a setting called "Last Night On Earth" or something akin to that that's a rockin zombie apocolypse... as well as a number of sci-fi settings (Mars and Slipstream are equally classic)

40k CAN do skirmish-ish with the Combat Patrol rules... but you're severely limited...

Urban War is solid at the skirmish level (even 750 is pretty small an army if you bring in CLAUs) but lots of shooting, little hitting... IIRC, you can even get the "light" rules (VOID 1.1) for free, it just doesn't have the Calibre system...

Monsterpocolypse is small army, large scale Kaiju battles... Collectible (means random minis) but great beer-and-pretzels fun...

i also seem to recall there's a new edition of Judge Dread on the way...

and I have seen skirmish rules for Cute-and-fuzzy-cockfighting-seizure-monsters... but that kinda speaks for itself...

Edited by Mr_Smigs

Thanks for all the info so far, we can keep this discussion more open as I'm guessing there are quite a few people interested in getting into a good skirmish sci-fi game...but for myself I had my run with GW games and I kind of look for helping out the smaller guys now :).

Thanks for the info on Urban War Mr. Smigs, I'll have to check that one out. I'm still on the fence about Infinity but I'll have to look into it more. I have to admit I still love the darkness of 40k, heh, just not that the company or rules system.

Check out Dark Age, it's a great game with great figs and some of the best fluff about these days. The website's a bit dire at the moment but the new and improved rules are being released around the end of this year. In the mean time there are quickstart rules and forcelist pdf's on the forum. I strongly recommend it, especially if you like "dark" games.

Infinity is also very good, just for the record!

A non sci-fi skirmish to look out for is Hell dorado, again currently undergoing an overhaul but it's a really good game with arguably some of the nicest models around at the moment.

Infinity is highly recommended, if you are on the fence I would suggest going to their download section. You can get a copy of the rules and profiles and give the game a test drive before you commit any cash.

As for Dark Age, I have nothing good to say about that company and I wish them nothing but failure. Very harsh thing to say but they have a lot to learn about customer service.

It is not very sci-fi but if you can get past the fruffy parts Anima Tactics is a very good game.

As for Dark Age, I have nothing good to say about that company and I wish them nothing but failure. Very harsh thing to say but they have a lot to learn about customer service.

Woah! Harsh dude! Sorry to thread-jack but I've had great customer service from those guys. I bought a Toxic Cult box which was missing an arm for a chitin and they sent me not only the arm but also the character chitin (that may well have been a mistake right enough, but I'm not complaining!) as well as a hand written note of apology. The guys are always kicking about the forums and listening to what their players have to say. I really wish all the best for the upcoming re-release.

Malifaux is my serious game. When I want something "light" or different I go to Two Hour Wargames. He produces All Things Zombie: Better Dead than Zed. There are variants of the basic system for anything.

You can easily go from two models to two hundred with his system, in any universe you want. Just a suggestion!

Woah! Harsh dude! Sorry to thread-jack but I've had great customer service from those guys. I bought a Toxic Cult box which was missing an arm for a chitin and they sent me not only the arm but also the character chitin (that may well have been a mistake right enough, but I'm not complaining!) as well as a hand written note of apology. The guys are always kicking about the forums and listening to what their players have to say. I really wish all the best for the upcoming re-release.

Well the direct order I made from them was a different story and in the end I forced them to give me back my money. I have a low tolerance for being lied too. When you follow that up with some of the crap they pulled or tried to, it did not go well. I have been told that the people in charge when my experience happened had been dealt with, but that really does not matter anymore. I can give you the full story but I would like to avoid making this too much of "Bash the other game" thread.

Well the direct order I made from them was a different story and in the end I forced them to give me back my money. I have a low tolerance for being lied too. When you follow that up with some of the crap they pulled or tried to, it did not go well. I have been told that the people in charge when my experience happened had been dealt with, but that really does not matter anymore. I can give you the full story but I would like to avoid making this too much of "Bash the other game" thread.

Man I'm sorry to hear that. I totally understand though. Indeed, let us leave it.

This "Two Hour Wargames" sounds interesting, I'll be checking that out. Might finally have a use for the innumerable amounts of zombies I've attained over the years.

Hi thomas, i have to say that malifaux is my 2nd favorite game, if you are looking for sci-fi, go for infinity, IMHO is the best miniature game in the market. AT-43 has the same activation system that malifaux has and is fun to play, and if you do not mind a no sci fi but good skirmish games i strongly recomend okko and arena deathmatch (samurais vs demons and gladiators)

right, forgot about that... yes the infinity rules are free online and totally worth it...

and another to check out (quickstart online) is Heavy Gear. it's scalable for whatever size you want with lots of weasels-on-speed action (16 foot mechs with motorized rollerskates... and rocket launchers... what more could you ask for...)

warlands and nuclear rennesance are both interesting if you're into that mad-max style sci-fi... but then, so is Rush&Crush....

Thanks for all the input everyone, I didn't realize there were that many good options...I'm definitely going to have to research some of the suggestions more. So far I think I am leaning the most towards Infinity based on the miniature quality, rule system and supposedly good fluff...It looks to be well supported as well. I might also get into AE-Bounty at the same time and proxy with other models.

I'm still open to other options though...I should have just named this thread "What sci-fi skirmish game do you enjoy the most right now?"

I love infinity. The only thing infinity is missing is official scenarios, the system is ripe for it and there are a ton of user made ones, but for some reason there are very few official ones. It is paced similarly to Malifaux, though considerably different in function. The miniatures are beautiful, with my only complaint is my painting cannot do them justice. I cannot say enough good things about that game. That being said, I am here posting.

For anyone that's interested in trying out a new system: Two Hour Wargame's Chain Reaction 3.0 (the core mechanics of their current games) is free. They also have a couple of variants to try, again for free. It's a fun system, very fast, VERY brutal.

I got eaten by zombies on turn two of a game, while playing a badass... I'm not at all bad at strategy games, it was just some really bad luck...

• 1 year later...

Steve Jackson Games used to make a game called "Car Wars". Now that was a FUN game! It took place in a "Mad Max" type future where you souped up an old ride and went into an arena to do battle. The game came with card tokens and markers and was played as a board game, but my friends and I took it to the next level. We bought 1/43 scale die cast cars and vehicles and used weapons from Star Wars figures to represent flame throwers, machine guns and such. 28mm scale minis from any line represented our characters out of vehicle. That was one of the most fun games ever. My vehicle was a big rig with a ram plate on the front, extra armor, and two nitrous tanks. I would line up, hit the nitro and smash the enemy cars to pieces. I called it Mjolner...