Newbie in New York

Gobsmacked

Hullo folks!

I'm a new player near Albany, NY. I've seen a few demos and bought the first rulebook, but I haven't decided on a starting crew yet. I'm sure I'll be getting just about all of them as I time goes on... I'm just not sure who'll break me in gently.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to playing!

Cheers!

hi gobs, let`s see if i can help, i`m fairly new too and only really know the following crews:

Pandora, nice looking box, it contains the character that i hate the most, baby kade, he is a nightmare, lots of wp duels, pandora is almost untouchable and almost the entire crew share spells, add a poltergeist to help channel pandora`s spells.

Ramos, really fast and strong crew, has really nasty combos exploding the spyders, they can self explote 1 by 1 making 2 dg, or you can make ramos explode the whole bunch for devastating efects.

and the crew that i like the most... Zoraida, she`s a beauty to play, she controls everything, your cards, opponents cards and you can cast obey to get control of opponent minions and do whatever you like with them, add a voodoo doll and zoraida does not need los or distance to cast her spells with conduit, hope this help, greetings.

To determine what is best for you, I would have to ask two things:

Firstly, what is your ideal playstyle?

-Do you prefer to be right in your enemies' faces with a single melee beatstick? Or perhaps you'd like a quick swarm to overwhelm your enemies? Or maybe you'd like better to avoid combat totally and manipulate your enemies, crippling them with gradual damage or just hindering them from succeding on their objectives outright.

Does the story behind your models influence your preference for them? If so, what is the image that you want your team to portray?

-Do you feel yourself inclined towards playing the cruel dictator or the harsh, but honest keepers-of-the-law, or the misunderstood antagonist? Maybe rebels are more your speed, working againt the oppressor, or perhaps the wanderers who avoid the touch of the law. Or perhaps even the secret society or mischievous individuals that operate in society under the noses of the those that keep the law.

Thanks for the help folks!

@dgraz - That's about 10 miles from my parent's place. Did it used to be Men at Arms or something? I used to buy models and stuff there when I was a kid...

@Xango - I've actually been thinking about starting with Ramos. I also like Lilith and Seamus to possibly start with. Maybe the Ortegas...

@Gongsun - That's exactly the problem I have! I just don't know where to start! I also like some of the Masters in book 2, but I figure it'd be a good idea to start with one of the originals until I learn the game.

@KirigakurenoHaku - I'm not too sure on playstyle yet. I've never really played a skirmish type game before. I generally tend to be on the shooty side in other games though.

- The background is why I'm kind of leaning towards Ramos first though. I like the whole "power to the common man" angle and I also love steampunk. I heard he can be a bit tricky to get the hang of first though.

Cheers!

Gob, don`t sweat, i was going to buy 1 crew, ended up buying 4, 3 months ago, now i have 3 more coming and in middle september i`m going for another 2.

1st was, tina, pandora, zoraida and ramos, colette, lady j and ophelia are on the way, and in middle sep. marcus and nicodem, also i want badly the new rat catcher hamelin.

Welcome! Looks like the others have you covered for helping out with your starting crews, so I'll just welcome you to the forums! I grew up in Albany, CA, which is tiny, so even when I told people in California I grew up in Albany (like within 10 miles of albany, CA), they assumed I was from NY. It got old, lol.

Albany is actually the 2nd most common name for a City in the US, showing up in 48 states. The most common city name is in all 50 states though...That's my random fact for the day :D