Needing Tricks against Pandora

Koali

Just had 2 very frustrating games against the Pandora Crew...

Just Playing the Basic Boxes...

I played with the Marcus Crew... against the Pandora Starter Box...

In all games i just played against this Pardona Crew i alway had no chance of winnig.

My Beasts always losse their WP Duels... so they cannot Attack against terrifying or harmless... an always loosing extra Wounds because of the sorrows...

I also always get outnumberd... while the Pandora crew has more Models to activate...

I have tryed Marcus to Howl my WP higher.. bit this is just like buying one extra Turn... while the Oponet is forcing my for just more WP Duells... I i can not risk to lose at last ONE of them... so all my high Cards are always gone away in the defense cheats... so i miss them for my Spells with the Sabertooth and so on...

Is there any trick how to handle the pardona crew?

My Beasts alsway did not make enoth Damage to kill any model exept a sorrow... after that they become a countercharge and are killed most of the Times in one Round...

Whle i haven´t the option of having any ranged attacks in this Crew... i have to go to close Combat... wehre i´m coverless against the whole enemycrew...

In my experience Howl is great against Pandora. Especially the Cerberus becomes practically immune with its Wp 10 while defending. If you can Howl at Pandora as well it will have no trouble attacking her. You just need to avoid giving LoS to her before you use Leap to go in with the Cerberus as well as avoid giving her a chance to assault on Marcus with everything.

Also, don't ever attack Candy, Kade or Pandora before all Sorrows are dead. They will take the hits anyway due to Martyr, are easier to hit and inflict more Wd due to failed Harmless checks. Project Emotions is their most powerful attack and can cripple you for the rest of the turn so don't bunch up to avoid multiple models getting hit with it. If you can avoid it the rest you can most likely manage.

One thing to note is that the Marcus starter is not very strong. Especially Myranda is a bit lackduster. Getting some more models would certainly help. Moles have a high Wp and you can transfer hits from Marcus on them, although that is basicly just Kade and Teddy against Pandora. It could also be argued that Harmless and Expose Fears "Limit your ability to target models" in which case Blindsight would ignore them (I've asked this in the Rules Forum but have received no answer). Also, get the Jackalope: it is expendable, has a solid Wp and hits extremely hard for a 1 SS model.

Don't get too depressed with early losses. Marcus requires much more finesse than Pandora. She is not really that hard people say she is, her strategy is basicly: find the highest threat, cast Project Emotions on it and Soulstone the cast so it's irresistable, then nuke it with all Wp based attacks you have or make it Fall Back with Mental Anguish. Marcus is much more delicate, needing to organize a speedy surprise attack with the Beasts and not expose them to a counter attack they won't survive as they have no defenses to speak of.

-Ropetus

Yes... to kill the Sorrows is the first option i thought of-.. this is very easy going ... But after taking one sorrow (or two with a bit of luck with the Rattlertrigger)... the Rattler or the Sabertooth are standing there facing Teddy oder Baby... and just dieing...

And to use HOWL on Pandora i need to take Marcus in Range of the Pandoraspells... so he´ll get down in one turn als you say...

Hmm...

So... you´re right saying its very tricky to play this Marcuscrew...

I´ll soon get some of this Silurids,... maybe they´ll give more Power für some Comboattacks...

I also tryed some Hoarcats... but they are pretty slow...

Silurids work greatly with Marcus. However, proceed with caution against Pandora, they have a horrible Wp of 4 and will suffer against her. However, they're your best bet on taking out the Sorrows. They're fast and can use Blood Frenzy to double their attacks which means a single AP will likely drop a Sorrow. Use Self Preservation to spread them out so you don't lose all of them to a single Project Emotions.

The thing with Howl is not nececcarily use it on Pandora. It is often enough to buff your own models to have Wp 8-9. If you can debuff Pandora as well without risking Marcus you should definitely do it but otherwise keep him back so you have the buff next turn as well. Getting off Stare Down + Howl on Pandora would be great but you will most likely not have the Actions to do it since it will require either a successful melee attack or casting Feral which means you won't get to cast Wild Heart.

Also, try using Alpha if you get the chance. Teddy loses Immune to Influence while near Pandora and makes a great target for the spell. Kade is second best. Whether they deal some hurt on Pandora or just get hurt by Expose Fears it is a win-win situation.

-Ropetus

And to use HOWL on Pandora i need to take Marcus in Range of the Pandoraspells... so he´ll get down in one turn als you say...

Hare lets you swap your mv/cg so you can strike from outside her spell range.

On the flip side if she wants to cast at you, her mobility will generally let her anyway.

As Ropetus mentioned, Pandy's stuff requires LOS in general, try not to give it to her until you're ready to strike (and your kitty, snake and whatever myranda wants to be as well as marcus all have huge potential engagement ranges.

Molemen: suffering Wounds from EmoTrauma and EmoStress ignores armor. And yes, you can suffer both at once.

Against Pandora they're not taken for the Armor. They're taken because they have Wp 7 and ignore Expose Fears, turning them into 8" radius death zones for Pandora.

-Ropetus

Against Pandora they're not taken for the Armor. They're taken because they have Wp 7 and ignore Expose Fears, turning them into 8" radius death zones for Pandora.

-Ropetus

Maybe I'm misinterpretign the rule as written for Blindsight, but it appears that Expose Fears is indeed in play. Expose Fears , as written, doesn't affect a model's ability to target Pandora, only requires the model targeting her to win a Wp>Wp duel to do it.

I wouldn't make this argument, except that Perdita (See the Unseen ability) and Lady J (Blind Justice spell) have very similar rules which specifically state that they ignore duels required to target a model. (Something NOT covered in Blindsight.)

Had I been able to find a concrete ruling on this, I would consider the discussion closed, unfortunately I haven't.

Maybe I'm misinterpretign the rule as written for Blindsight, but it appears that Expose Fears is indeed in play. Expose Fears , as written, doesn't affect a model's ability to target Pandora, only requires the model targeting her to win a Wp>Wp duel to do it.

How can you not consider having to take a duel to be affecting the ability to target Pandora?

It doesn't necessarily -prevent- it, but it sure does affect it..

I agree the ability is not worded too precisely. Actually a wording "Ignore anything affecting my ability to target" is as vague as it can be. At least for me an effect stating "when targeting this model, take a Wp Duel or end the Action" is affecting my ability to target. At the moment I can think of only few other abilities this would override: Harmless, Hamelin's Bully, Silurid's Silent, Hooded Rider's Night form, a bunch of "cannot be targeted by ranged attacks" (which is not important since the Mole is a melee model) and Regret Trigger.

Or maybe the Mole will still take the Wp Duel and suffer the effects (1 Wd and Pandora gets to push) but will then ignore the effect that Expose Fears ends the Action, and complete it anyway. This makes a little more sense I guess.

-Ropetus

Or maybe the Mole will still take the Wp Duel and suffer the effects (1 Wd and Pandora gets to push) but will then ignore the effect that Expose Fears ends the Action, and complete it anyway. This makes a little more sense I guess.

-Ropetus

That's an interesting take on the whole situation. Sounds like we need a Rules Marshall in here.

• 2 weeks later...