How to paint black cloth and white cloth?

Ahellsing661

It depends on the look you are going for.

For a cleaner black cloth I normally add a turquoise-blue color to black (usually I use either P3 arcane blue or p3 trollblood base), then I add a little grey to the previous mix for the final highlight (usually use p3 trollblood highlight). For a dirty looking black I add grey and tan colors to black for highlights.

For whites, I normally start with an off-white color (p3 menoth white highlight or foundations dheneb stone). Then I highlight with white. If I want to add more shade to the cloth I will add a light grey or tan to the basecoat for shading.

That's the eternal question for me, especially when painting white.

Generally you want to thin your paint by adding a few drops of water to it on the palette. If when you stir the paint you are leaving a furrow with the brush then it is too thick. The liquid should be the consistancy of milk, although I prefer a little thicker.

The problem is, the more you thin the paint, the more coats it takes to get an opaque coverage. I also find that if there is any dust that gets into the paint it will be more noticeable if your paint is very thin.

I guess you just need to strike a balance that works for you: paint goes on nice and smooth but retains enough opacity so that you aren't doing dozens of coats of the same colour.

Fun stuff. I'm just getting back into the hobby of miniatures and painting in general. When I was in middle school I had an army of space marines and well, they're a little chunky. So I stripped them using watered down simple green, (takes two weeks but it works really well didn't strip any detail or glue) and Now I'm using a couple of bottles of VGC I picked up to try and teach myself how to not suck terribly at painting before I attempt putting my brush on Seamus or any of his ladies. So far I think that is the greatest curse and blessing of Malifaux. Not so many miniatures to paint, but more places to see mess ups. Biggest lesson I've learned so far is that for your model to look awesome you need have a lot of patience and be willing to sit there and do 5, 6 coats of thinned paint before you get it looking awesome. Also, 3 year old boltgun metal is thick... really freaking thick...

Word! Thanks guys! Now for an uber noob question... any tips on keeping paints thin so they go on smoother....

I usually use Liquitex Flow Improver, it doesn't chalk the paint as much when thining. Good news is it you can get it virtually any craft stores.

I may add that when painting white, thin paints are the key. I look for a skim milk type consistency.

I started working with white cloth, and I find that starting with a light grey and building up the amount o white in highlights works well.

Never did black cloth, kinda interested in trying it myself.

Black and white is hard because to make it look believable you almost must using lighting effects, and lighting effects are quite advanced. At least in my opinion you have to think about a light source, both the primary source and ambient lighting, and you have to think about the reflective qualities of the material, and you have to think about how those things would combine and figure out how to trick the eye of the person viewing the miniature into perceiving all those elements coming together...

Can you tell I have way too much random thoughts on this? But I think ultimately the best way to learn is to really really closely look at how things look in real life, then look at why a fabric looks like it does, what are the light sources, what are the qualities of that fabric. Just paying very very close attention to your surrounds will help a ton because it's not intuitive. It's strange to think that knowing how things look isn't intuitive, but it's not!

Eric nailed it with what he said about studying your surroundings. My wife is constantly asking me 'what I'm doing' or 'what are you looking at?' She still doesn't understand me when I tell her I'm just trying to imbed it in my brain so I can remember it when I want to paint something like that.