Malifaux Child, What?!

Ropetus

I can't help but look at this model's statline and wonder what is it supposed to do. Has anyone ever found any kind of use for the Child? Does it have some secret combo I haven't realized? For me it just keeps looking like an insanely useless model.

It is very very slow. It's almost useless for casting Magical Extension with unsuited Ca 3. It has an average weapon for a Totem which means its a joke that might sometimes do a point of damage. It's defenses are also nonexistant with abysmal Wp and Df. It has Harmless, which is useless since the model is not a threat anyway.

Misplaced sympathy is a strange spell, but requires suit and requires you to have high card in the bottom of your discard pile (so you pretty much have to cheat your first Duel which costs you the card you will just gain back...). Using it against opponents is a waste since they most likely have a useless card in their hand.

Paying 3 SS for this model seems insane to me. Any Master can get their own Totem for (at least) 1 SS cheaper and they will actually do something useful. Viktorias can hire it for 2 SS but when they can hire Student of Conflict instead for 1 SS more (if they cannot afford that, they should take more SS anyway...). If it costed 1 SS I would not hire it, since it's still useless. Even at 0 SS I would hire a real Totem. If it came for free with a bunch of Soulstones it could be considered but still...

Is this model really totally useless or am I just missing something?

-Ropetus

Edited by Ropetus

It's useless.

And before someone comes along and jumps on me for making a blanket statement, it does have a few uses, but for every one of those there is always a better alternative. I made a post a while back about what it could be used for...but there were always better alternatives.

So, useless.

Edited by Justin

It's useless.

And before someone comes along and jumps on me for making a blanket statement, it does have a few uses, but for every one of those there is always a better alternative. I made a post a while back about what it could be used for...but there were always better alternatives.

So, useless.

+1 lalo (I think this makes 10 agreements, the end of the world is close).

It is honestly a useless model over-all and badily in need of an update to give him a use. Frankly, Wyrd does a very good job about giving a use to every model. But when Eric was handing out the awesome, this poor guy must have been on the toilet. It almost looks like he was a template for all other totems and except for his one unique spell, he is nothing special.

He's actually not a terrible totem for Pandora, because of the WP duels he can trigger to irritate foes. Misplaced at least causes damage, then. But yeah, for 3.... Not too powerful, not really. A decent distraction, good for an unexpected whack with its weak little weapon. I've seem him used well with Pandora, never anyone else. In some situations he's better than the Poltergeist (when your opponent is a swarm rather than having one big minion you can distract.)

In some situations he's better than the Poltergeist (when your opponent is a swarm rather than having one big minion you can distract.)

How? Poltergeist has two Rst: Wp Auras to use against hordes of enemies. And is much better at casting Pandora's spells too.

The point is not that the Child cannot do anything. It's that anything it does, every Master can hire something that does the same job much better for the same price or cheaper.

-Ropetus