Desolation Engine I am so confused

Lorenz

can someone please explain the ability to scavenge the Desolation Engine in order to draw cards it will kill the master so how can you do this and if you do it how many cards can you draw?

I was thinking Levi could do it first turn it was summoned and get 12 cards for it but this does not seem possible since he would end up killing himself to do it so does the desolation engine need to be damaged to do it or what anyway someone if you would be so kind as to explain the mechanics of how this works

can someone please explain the ability to scavenge the Desolation Engine in order to draw cards it will kill the master so how can you do this and if you do it how many cards can you draw?

I was thinking Levi could do it first turn it was summoned and get 12 cards for it but this does not seem possible since he would end up killing himself to do it so does the desolation engine need to be damaged to do it or what anyway someone if you would be so kind as to explain the mechanics of how this works

You could kill yourself with this because a cost of the ability is not the Wd loss. It is a result of the ability. So by my understanding you could kill yourself with this.

But remember, when Levy comes back into play, you lose your entire hand. So you lose all those cards.

The main use of this is if the Engine has already activated this turn and is say at 4 wds left. You know its going to die, and your hand isn't very strong. So you decide to sac it and draw the 4 cards hoping for some good ones. Yes you take the wounds but this has actually be useful once or twice before.

It is a strange ability and most people completely ignore it. It seems like an ability that was cool in idea but never really got tested much and ended up on the final rules as if someone sorta forgot about it heh. Thats my impression of it at least.

I've used it a couple of times in this past tournament. I used it because Levi already activated and wasn't going to die that turn because he had two wounds left. So saced the deso for six cards, killed Levi, and got the cards I needed for rusty to headshot. Rapid fired rusty at mcmorning, my opponent only had one card and he traded all his soulstones for body part counters or used them all. So killed mcmorning with the deso draw. I find I is a good ability when needed.

Edited by Iamwyrd

Yes it's really situational.

But it has the potential to be phenomenal too. Saccing a DE with 12 wounds it huge. You draw 12 cards. With Rusty that can mean a dead master. (As Iamwyrd stated)

There are a few other models that really benefit form a great card selection as well. It can mean a swarm of leaping Necropunks. Or a bunch of nasty damage from the Hooded Rider.

Levi and his toys really ask you to think outside the box that are the standard rules and ideas of the game.

"Standard rules of the game?"

First off, if there is a box at all, and only Leveticus is outside it, it has to be at least 5 dimensional.

Secondly, I agree.it's a weird ability. But hey, desolation engine is a weird figure. I've actually used that once for what became known as the "second turn blitzkrieg" in my group, where I managed to chain move four abominations, pop out the desolation, kill two medium cost models, draw 12 cards, activate Leveticus, kill the most expensive model, activate Rusty Alyce and rapid fire all the little cheap models, leaving my opponent's master completely alone for turn 3. It was fun.