Vik Starter Box?

daemonkin

Hi guys,

Looking to get the Viks next along with some more mercs to use in other factions and was wondering whether the other models in the starter box feature in your gangs.

I am considering:

Vik box

Misaki

Hamelin

Ronin

and I already have the convict.

as a starter gang to work from but may be cheaper to just buy the Viks separately and then buy the others but that is only if Taelor, Johan and Bishop aren't up to par with the rest of the mercs.

Thoughts?

D.

Honestly the starter is OK. But I would just buy the viks seperately because Bishop eh, johan eh, and taelor eh. Aren't really worth it yet. I play the viks as well or use to I gave them to my sister to play. But when I ran them I was Ronin ronin and more ronin. I would often bring the covict or misaki but never Hans. His gun just doesn't seem worth it, I mean come on its a sniper it should be doing 3/4/5 dmg at least do to its high caliber. Ya custom ammo is good against subtype characters but what about normal people.

Who off topic rant, sorry.

But ya I would personally buy the viks seperate.

Taelor and Misaki both rock my socks due to above average melee range. Misaki is more situational as you need specific suits for specific spells, but I've destroyed half a crew with Thunder and Wind is always great and I pretty much always find one mask in the first two hands so have it when I need it.

I didn't get the box, as I wanted my crew to be an all female theme, but I am looking to pick up Johan for more competitive matches, as a huge weakness in the Vik crew is durability. Its rather annoying to watch yourself get whittled down by attrition, as nothing in your crew can take a hit!

personally, i love bishop. he is a highly versatile fighter that can turn into a decent hitter(critical trigger) or a melee controller(toss aside and jump away).

i havent used the other abilities much so can't say anyhting about them, but i personally love bishop for his versatility, even if he is a bit too costly...

I bought the Viks set recently and did it ale carte like suggested. Bought the two Viks and a box of 3 Ronin, (already owned the gunslinger). 25ss set right there for NEAR the same cost.

I think I'm getting the student of conflict to take me towards 30ss. But I'm told Taelor is a beast with 3" range and such...

I'm torn on moving forward, but I custom ordered purely because the box set is 'blah'.

Honestly the starter is OK. But I would just buy the viks seperately because Bishop eh, johan eh, and taelor eh. Aren't really worth it yet.

"Yet" being a key word. Wyrd is working feverishly on Errata 2.0, which should drop any day now. It's somewhat likely that underrated minis have been reexamined. There have been a few sneak peaks. Mortimer (for example) has been publicly errata'd due to his previous underwhelmingness, just one of many changes we're likely to see. Ronin have also been tweaked (cuddled), bringing them more in line with their cost and reality.

Well I dont know about Errata 2.0 but this is what I would run in a typical 35SS Vik crew, Ill explane after

First the two vics

Convict Gunlsinger 5

Hans 8

Tealor/or Misaki Depends on if i play models with armor 8/7

Ronin 5

Ronin 5

Leaving me with 4/5 SS I use to summen Vik back at lest once per game.

Now the ronin for now are no brainers, there good in fights, have okay range and they can be swaped out for a downed vik.

Misaki is good because she has some sweet melee based spells that makes her in combat awesome, I mean she can make her range on her melee attacks incress to 6 inches with a zero cost spell and she has melee expert!! She has alot more ablities that if used right she will rock!

Taelor is a model i will use if there are alot of amour models on the table, where as hans can deal with armour he has to focus on one model a turn where as Taelor can bas a few around at once.

Dont missunderstand other players and think Johan is not worth it, he is good for his point cost, if you want more soulstones in your game he might swich out for anther model. There where he shines is in a Ramos crew since there he becomes cb +2 for both his weapons.

What makes hans sooo good, well there is a whole topic on this but I will go into the basics here for you. First off with soo much good melee in this list you can pretty much secure the frount, but Hans can shoot though models and cover with out getting a -1 to his flips. his new base damage thanks to errtata 1.0 is 2/2/5 now add in that they gave his gun the rams suit its now looks like 3/3/6. Add custum ammo that will alow you to get +1 to your damage flips vs/ anything that is hard to get good damage flips, like neverborn, undead and amour units. Just remember to use aim whith custum ammo to get a +1 to your attack and damage flips when targeting a Hard to wound model. Also keep in mind that he has bulletproof 2 so if shooting ranged focused lists lip perdita are giving you issues he rocks because of having the highest level bulletproof in the game.

The convict gunslinger is a no brainer, hes a good ranged support but he is = good at melee due to the ablitiy of gunfighter that makes range and melee the same thing for him.

I hope this helps,

Andrew Haught