Misaki and Earth ability.

Pox

Perhaps i am reading this wrong but it makes no sense to me:

her Earth ability means she can ignore penalties for severe terrain and can move through impassable terrain as though it was open ground.

now it is a (1) ability with a casting cost of 10 of masks (easy to do if you have a mask at hand.)

was fighting in a bog so it was all severe ground so was like cool - might even use this ability as i want to move up the board quickly, then it struck me.

Earth is a (1) ability so if i use an action to cast it then for my second action i can ignore severe terrain and move my full 5" if i fail to cast it then i can only go 2.5 and look a bit dumb.

IF i do not attempt to cast it, and just move with the usual 50% penalty and spend both actions on move i am assured to go 5" without paying any casting cost or risk.

so what is the point of Earth, i mean the minor possibility that you may walk 5" through some impassible terrain i suppose is slightly cool but VERY situational. As for ignoring severe terrain it is just completly pointless, unless i am missing something here.

The point of the ability is the movement through impassable terrain. Passing through walls as if she were a spirit can be quite useful sometimes (but yes, it is rather situational). If she does encounter a rough patch along the way she can pass thorugh that as an added bonus, but casting Earth just to pass through severe terrain is indeed pointless.

Look at it this way: a lot of the terrain we have at our gaming club consists of a combination of severe and impassable terrain (rocks surrounded by shrubbery, a reinforced position inside a forest,...). If Misaki wouldn't ignore severe terrain as well as impassable she wouldn't get very far, and the spell wouldn't do her much good.

Her Ability to ignore Impassable terrain and severe terrain like it's nothing is very nice.

Add her Wind Spell and Earth Spells together. The fact the Wind Spell turns her 2" melee strike into a 6" melee strike. And the Fact that you can Attack THEN move anywere you want to. Potentially forcing you opponent's model(s) to spend all there AP just to get into melee range and/or LOS of her.

( I haven't seen anything saying that you hafta move first then attack, just that both can happen during the models activation phase)

One thing I did notice is you said you need the 10 of masks to cast her earth Spell. All you need is the 5 of Masks

(her Ca of 5 plus the 5 of Masks = 10 with a mask)

Don't think outside the Box...Smash it into itty bitty pieces

Her Ability to ignore Impassable terrain and severe terrain like it's nothing is very nice.

Add her Wind Spell and Earth Spells together. The fact the Wind Spell turns her 2" melee strike into a 6" melee strike. And the Fact that you can Attack THEN move anywere you want to. Potentially forcing you opponent's model(s) to spend all there AP just to get into melee range and/or LOS of her.

( I haven't seen anything saying that you hafta move first then attack, just that both can happen during the models activation phase)

One thing I did notice is you said you need the 10 of masks to cast her earth Spell. All you need is the 5 of Masks

(her Ca of 5 plus the 5 of Masks = 10 with a mask)

Don't think outside the Box...Smash it into itty bitty pieces

yeah just copied up the 10 of masks straight up from the book, did note it was easy to do as in my mind realised she had a CA5.

wind+earth is a nice combo - though again situational, I suppose i was just confussed as i read it as an ability to help her ignore severe terrain as a bonus in and of itself (rather then combined with moving through impassable terrain) and as a bonus to combat severe terrain it well er seemed useless.

so still no way to get her to move quickly through a bog then! Might just take some more ronin in such an example.

How's that? I thought there would be totally no point in using both Wind and Earth on the same activation. After those two actions you will have only 1 AP left so you can either Walk (and take advantage of Earth) or Strike (taking advantage of Wind) but not both.

As is, the Earth spell is indeed highly situational and very rarely useful (only when there is an impassable terrain you need to get through). If it were a (0) Action I think it might see a lot more use.

-Ropetus

How's that? I thought there would be totally no point in using both Wind and Earth on the same activation. After those two actions you will have only 1 AP left so you can either Walk (and take advantage of Earth) or Strike (taking advantage of Wind) but not both.

As is, the Earth spell is indeed highly situational and very rarely useful (only when there is an impassable terrain you need to get through). If it were a (0) Action I think it might see a lot more use.

-Ropetus

she is a melee expert 1 so she can always make an attack action then use the remaining 1AP to "fade away" by moving back through that bit of terrain in a hit and run style - IF she was out in the open in the first place...

yes the situational ability just gets even more situational!

as a 0 action i could understand it as the moving through severe terrain ability would be useful and not-game breaking - not really sure why it is ranked higher then her other more powerful abilities that are only 0 actions.

she is a melee expert 1 so she can always make an attack action then use the remaining 1AP to "fade away" by moving back through that bit of terrain in a hit and run style - IF she was out in the open in the first place...

*facepalms*

Maybe I should just shut up if I don't have the specific card in front of me :P.

-Ropetus

Which can still be stopped by a disengaging strike, right? If so, not the most reliable tactic, especially considering the cost.