Ronin #1

Sholto

I tried to match the card art for this model as closely as possible, down to the little floral pattern on her jacket and trousers. I wanted the gun to stand out, so it got a red cylinder, and I like blue hair - those are the only changes. I think together they give the model a slightly more comic-book feel. The sword was bent all to heck when I got the model, so the paintjob is meant to detract from the relative shapelessness.

Ronin_Front_1a.jpg

On the jacket and trousers, I tried deepening the colours by using a Baal Red wash before the Devlan Mud went on. I think it worked pretty well.

Ronin_Back_1a.jpg

Her base (to which she is pinned though one of her high heels) is a resin Deus Ex Machina 30mm insert from Ironhalo.net. It is intricately detailed and while I could have spent a long time on it, I kept it simple to allow the model to shine. Here is a closer shot of it all painted up - dark metal colours, with a Flesh Wash and pigments for the rust.

Ronin_1_Base_a.jpg

You're right about the gun - it needs something. Darker shading on the red, probably. I will apply some Mechrite Red/ Black mix in the deeper parts, and maybe try a Thraka Green wash as well.

Would you mind sharing the skin tone paints/ steps?
The skintone was fairly simple. White primer, then a thin coat of watered down (1:1) GW Foundation Tallarn Flesh. Then unthinned GW Ogryn Flesh wash, applied heavily enough to pool but not to run. After that I mixed some Tallarn Flesh and some Vallejo Pale Flesh about 1:1, watered it down about 3:1 and applied highlights. Final highlight was with another Tallarn Flesh/ Pale Flesh mix, about 1:2 this time.

All watering of the paints was done with Liquitex Flow Aid and my special ingredient - a tiny dab of washing up liquid :) Just touch the tip of the brush in some before you stir your paint.

Sholto