Rounding out a Lady Justice starter box

GuySmiley

I started the game with the Death Marshal Starter box. In reverence and respect for the units that taught me the game, I have stayed with the core units provided. It is however, with that box in mind that I am left wondering how others expanded.

To begin the starter box has you looking at LadyJ, 3 Death Marshal, and the judge. This leads to a total SS cost of 19. Six soul stones can leave a lot of room to bring in friends and possibly even add to LadyJ’s pool. My first answer to this problem was to pick up a Witchling Stalker for four ss. These little guys are great units and really complimented my crew and play style in a few different ways.

First, is the time bomb. Much like papa loco these guys are great fun when they die, so long as they aren’t taking your crew out with them. (although this could be a great suicide tactic if you do it on your hurt death marshals to basically companion them in a slow to die symphony.) So with any unit that you might be afraid of blowing up your crew you always have the option to Pine box them. You will need at least an 8 crow and two AP to pull this off but you can always fail any wp duel to keep them in the box; so plan ahead. With the hard to wound and some smart play those death marshal can help get those models into position and give them some cover from fire. Of course if the marshal goes down then you have a fresh unit that is ready to activate. This leaves your opponent making tough choices on how to handle you. This can also be done with executioner, ladyJ or any unit you want to try and get in closer without the fear of having them take to much fire as they try to close into to melee. The goal is to turn your opponent into Brad Pitt from Seven yelling “What’s in the box!”

The second synergy is the charged up Death Marshal crew. If use finish the job and flip or cheat at least a six of rams you suddenly find all your Death Marshals doing at least +2 damage and possible 3 with a critical strike. You will sacrifice pretty much all of one marshal to do this and keep aura where you like it but with combat prowess cast be either your totem or LadyJ he can still have a chance at getting an attack in. The Witchling Stalker comes into play. At this point your Death marshals are all tuned up. If they are running with a stalker then stretch that melee expert over to him. Now whomever your playing will be forced to make the choice of killing your powered up marshal or the witchling. All of which are swinging plenty. As a side note if you try this attack the witchling blast is only 2 inches while the Combat Prowess spell is 3 so leave yourself room unless you plan on trying to get the extra attacks from slow to die.

Lastly, and this is more of a controlled situation which is best used with the Governor’s Proxy or some other trick if the witchling stalker dies and takes out the Death Marshal or the Judge they can use slow to die to get that 1 ap action. I really can’t think of to many reasons why this would be a good idea however, if you needed a bunch of attacks at once and had models in the right position you could potentially throw out a bunch of damage as they went down.

To go back to my original point, the Witchling Stalker is a great mini and if, as a player of the guild, you are ok with just the 4 soulstone that LadyJ brings to the table; you can even throw in a totem.

So this was my original thinking in expanding my force to 25 points. I have since built up different lists but I am curious how the rest of the community worked with this. Also sorry for the long post.

I too started with Death Marshals, and I plan to mainly run The Guild (I also started Pandora as a "bad guy" Crew). I just bought the Witch Hunters to complement the Marshals, but I have yet to play with them. I have also been looking at the Guild Guard. Another option was to add another Death Marshal and a Scales of Justice to fill out to 25 SS.

I agree that 30-35 stones is a pretty happy place for games. I am mostly just looking at the box I started with and discussing it. Some of the tactics I use and general ideas to round it out to start off where people might be playing others who are fairly new and don't have more then 25 points and a few additions here and there. (assuming they don't want to proxy.)

The Ortega are a strange crew. When you look at so many of the other choices out there no other crew comes to mind as being nearly as shooty as them.

I have thought a lot about how crews can mix in together and add a ranged support element to any crew. (nino and sam could fight off an army together) However, I still think it is all a question of play style. In this I just wanted to focus on LadyJ rather then a random list.

As a side note I don't know that I would ever go with a convict gunslinger to run with my guild group. It would take a month to wash out the mercenary stink. :)

As a side note I don't know that I would ever go with a convict gunslinger to run with my guild group. It would take a month to wash out the mercenary stink. :)

I agree. With all the bullets the Guild can put out, why would you need him? He's a solid choice for non-shooty crews like Neverborn and Ressies.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the input guys. My first army is the Death Marshals as well. I ordered the Witchlings because of their unique abilities..................and they look so damn cool! I also ordered the Viktorias for a second force and the fact that they would compliment the DMs with some solid beatsticks (Bishop and Taelor).

Don't forget the Peacekeeper.

Though expensive, that thing's a monster, and even if your opponent goes hell-bent after it, it's drawing fire from your other models, freeing them to go after objectives.

I like the Convict Gunslinger, too. Both for the aforementioned rapid fire, and its associated Trigger Happy. (Cue John Woo movie sequence here--blamblamblamblamblamblam...) :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have played 3 games with the peacekeeper so far and I have enjoyed playing it. I have only really used it as a distraction piece so far, moving it quickly up the board to help freeze my opponents crews in place. No one wants this thing beating on them, it takes a bunch of resources to destroy most of the time. Just watch out for other big nasties a steamborg executioner easily destroyed it in one activation.

• 3 weeks later...

hey only just started up but for LadyJ i have learnt some sweet combo's

ladyJ with ronin as they can keep up with her and have melee expert. also when LadyJ kills someone you increse there CB by 2 so they do well but do take 6ss each. so better for big games

witchlings, use ladyJ to give them melee expert! and kill somone. then u have CB8 bombs with critical and melee expert?

i play with my mates at 40ss and the take lilith with teddy ect. so i play with

LadyJ (cache 4)

Executioner = 7

Judge = 7

death mashals * 3 = 12

Killjoy = 12

which leaves me with 8ss

some people disagree with this but if the executioner is on its last action with slow to die. and it cant kill a unit to heal all its wounds then pop out killjoy in there face?

slow to die works great with killjoy so they dont really target judge or executioner till turn 4 or 5.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree. With all the bullets the Guild can put out, why would you need him? He's a solid choice for non-shooty crews like Neverborn and Ressies.

Convict gunslinger is probably the best purchase I ever made, sup fire is like the greatest thing to clear out player hands followed by nino headshots and executy's decapitate models start dying off fast...