Need Sage Faction Advice

IronChief

I have mixed feelings about Malifaux at the moment. On the one hand, I think it is a good game. It will likely be a really good game once they get some of the bugs worked out of the system. But it is very impressive for a first release.

But I don't much like the two factions I have chosen. Somer'Teeth is a gremlin/pig factory and the best strategy seems to be to bury you opponent in pork. I don't have a problem with that as such, but it isn't how I imagined the faction and I don't know if I want to buy all the models I need to play that way.

Zoraida was my second purchase mainly because she could work with Gremlins. She is cool in a creepy fairy tale kind of way. I certainly enjoy playing her more than the Gremlins. But there is zero wild west feel. You could plop her down in Warhammer and no one would blink an eye. I also don't seem to understand how to use her spells. The only one I routinely use is Obey.

I keep looking at Nico, since he is the only Resurrectionist I like, but he apparently plays similar to Somer. Nico is a zombie factory and your bury your opponent in zombies instead of pigs. Again, not really my style. For whatever strange reason, I really dislike Shamus. The whole Mad Hatter thing just doesn't turn my crank.

So I don't want to make another mistake in buying a faction. It isn't that they are horribly expensive, but I want to make a good decision. I think I would like a faction that has some western feel to it with a mix of shooting and melee options. I definitely want a faction whose master can mix it up and doesn't lurk in the back ordering the minions around.

Suggestions?

As far as Nico goes. You can play him as a spawning master but you can also play him as a long range support/buff master. The ability to cast through his Totems is awesome and Bolster Undead is just sick on Punk Zombies(or Bete Noir). You still might need a blister or two of mindless dead but for the most part you will be using those as shields for Nico and not for attacking your enemy.

If you want a western feel and an "In your face" style Master then The Guild must be your faction of choice. You can't beat the Ortegas in being western and Death Marshals and Samael are also strongly western themed. Having your Master sitting in the backline won't be a problem with this faction, they all do well in battle: Lady Justice is a melee machine with lots of buffs, Perdita is a speedy ranged/melee fighter with minor control abilities, Sonnia is a caster and melee fighter with a summoning spell to boot.

Any of those Masters should work for you. Just pick your favourite or if you like em all depending on which aspect you like most: melee (LJ), shooting (Perdita) or spellcasting (Sonnia).

-Ropetus

I have mixed feelings about Malifaux at the moment. On the one hand, I think it is a good game. It will likely be a really good game once they get some of the bugs worked out of the system. But it is very impressive for a first release.

But I don't much like the two factions I have chosen. Somer'Teeth is a gremlin/pig factory and the best strategy seems to be to bury you opponent in pork. I don't have a problem with that as such, but it isn't how I imagined the faction and I don't know if I want to buy all the models I need to play that way.

Zoraida was my second purchase mainly because she could work with Gremlins. She is cool in a creepy fairy tale kind of way. I certainly enjoy playing her more than the Gremlins. But there is zero wild west feel. You could plop her down in Warhammer and no one would blink an eye. I also don't seem to understand how to use her spells. The only one I routinely use is Obey.

I keep looking at Nico, since he is the only Resurrectionist I like, but he apparently plays similar to Somer. Nico is a zombie factory and your bury your opponent in zombies instead of pigs. Again, not really my style. For whatever strange reason, I really dislike Shamus. The whole Mad Hatter thing just doesn't turn my crank.

So I don't want to make another mistake in buying a faction. It isn't that they are horribly expensive, but I want to make a good decision. I think I would like a faction that has some western feel to it with a mix of shooting and melee options. I definitely want a faction whose master can mix it up and doesn't lurk in the back ordering the minions around.

Suggestions?

Both of the masters you have chosen I use regularly and enjoy. They have a bit more depth then just Pig Factory and Obey, though they are subtle masters who are sorta intended to sit in the background and order minions around.

For in your face masters with a western feel then any of the Guild masters will do.

As you pointed out this is a first release so each master is going to be sorta limited right now. Warmachine and Hordes had a similar problem when your choices were all contained in one book.

Lady J.

She's a beat stick, she runs up there and gets in it.

Her death marshals have decent shooting and the executioner has decent melee, all with a Western feel.

Perdita probably has the best Western feel, and the best shooting, but little melee. Although she could add the executioner as well.

Same boat as you, I want to play Seamus and belles, but it's the wild west feel that drew me to the game in the first place. I was at the LGS yesterday, purchased the remaining Vik crew members I needed, but couldn't decide which starter to get next! I love the Death Marshals but not a big fan of Lady J. Perdita is cool, but not a big fan of the rest of her family... so many "problems" and I haven't played a game with my own minis yet! LOL

Same boat as you, I want to play Seamus and belles, but it's the wild west feel that drew me to the game in the first place. I was at the LGS yesterday, purchased the remaining Vik crew members I needed, but couldn't decide which starter to get next! I love the Death Marshals but not a big fan of Lady J. Perdita is cool, but not a big fan of the rest of her family... so many "problems" and I haven't played a game with my own minis yet! LOL

guild crew perdita leading death marshals? sounds like a problem solved :D

ive gone for pandora for my starting crew, my bro was gonna go for rasputina but wanted something a bit more basic for his starting crew, less magicky more fighty, so went with viktorias and a whole bunch of mercs instead. It was probably a good idea as he will have all the mercs he needs to add to new crews he gets as well.