Night Fighting

so, while i rebase the Lamp Posts for my night-time city board, Whisper and I were discussing rules.

and so, I was thinking:

Before deployment but after deploying Terrain (including Objectives), flip a card. If any odd Raven or Mask suited card is flipped, the game is set in the pitch-black night.

Each player takes it in turns placing a Lamp Post (50mm flat base). Lamp posts may not be closer than 8" to a deployment zone or to another Lamp Post, but otherwise maybe placed freely.

Models may move over and stop on a Lamp Posts base freely and they may not be interacted with in any form.

Whispers' Rule: LoS reduced to 4". Anyone within 4" of a lamp posts base may be seen as per normal LoS rules.

Gav's Rule: LoS reduced to 4". Anyone within 4" of a Lamp Posts base maybe seen normally, but they receive +1Def to any ranged attacks or spells.

Anyone touching (or ontop) of a Lamp Posts base maybe seen as per normal LoS rules

My personal take would be "Alone in the Dark" + "Disturbing Whispers" (both constantly on from start of game) + LOS reduced to 5" (ala the Coven's feat in Warmachine). Being within 2" of a Lamppost means your exempt from "Alone in the Dark" and "Disturbing Whispers" and you get +1VP if you're within 2" and no enemy models are at the end of the game. ;)

there is; several Events cover rain and high winds (one gives Ranged Attacks -2Cb, the other means no charging!)

Lamp Posts i'll have 8 assembled (at the mo they're on cast bases; i'll be moving them to flat plasticard as it'll allow poeple to step into the light :) )... i think 3 per Player (and thus 2 per foot squared) should work well...

i'll have to look up Alone In The Dark; the problem with Disturbing Whispers is i play Undead while Whisper plays other factions; i'd be unaffected by the Morale Duels :)

Why would there be any benefit to being under a lantern? The way I imagine it, in a night-fight being under a light source is always bad. Not only you are easy to spot, but you have really hard time seeing outside the light circle as the eyes adjust to the light.

Perhaps rather than have any benefits from being under lanterns, make the lanterns flicker? Sometimes they are on, sometimes they are off (flip for them at the beginning of each turn or perhaps once at the beginning of the game to see if the lanterns work etc).

Then when the players place the lanterns, they'll want to plant them to deny opponent his cover, shooting positions etc... but there will be no guarantee the lanterns will work, so the position may still be good.