House rules you would love to see!

Chucklemonkey

So, myself and a friend yesterday had what I felt was a very enjoyable game, McMourning v the Ortega's. During the game there were a number of situations where we instantly agreed on some new house rules. One of which is as follows:

If Papa Loco fails with a thrown dynamite stick attack but the zombie chihuahua is within 6" of the target he "fetches the stick" and has to take a combat duel also.

Does anyone else have unusual house rules they like to throw into their games? If so, please share them here.

I like playing that all models may use soul stones. And, instead of having a cache which is just a number you keep track of, soul stones are counters carried by models. So, for your starting cache, you get a number of counters which you may distribute in any way you wish among your models. These soul stone counters work like any other counter in the game so, when your model is killed, it drops the counter and your enemies may pick it up. When a soul stone is used, simply remove the counter from the game.

My friend and I were chatting about various other ways you could run the Malifaux card mechanic to make it feel more like an actual card game, we wanted to obtain that sense of upping the ante to force your opponent to decide if its worth it or not. It would open up room for more strategies in the game as bluffing will now play a major roll much like it does in a friendly game of Poker. Here's what we came up with:

Simple Duels: The same, since you're just going after a set number.

Opposed Duels:

- Both players still initiate the Duel by flipping the top card of the deck and adding their respective stats.

- The player who's losing may now place a card from his/her hand face down on the table (or accept defeat)

- The next player then may:

* Call - Place a single card face down

* Raise - Place two cards face down

* Fold - The player voluntarily loses the duel

- Both players take turns upping the ante (Raising) until one of them decides to Call or Fold

- Once one of the players has Called both players reveal their face down cards

- Add each card to the players respective totals

- Then both players (starting with whoever is currently losing) are given the opportunity to spend a Soul Stone for a second flip

We thought it would make a fun alternative, I'm sure it would clash with some of the mechanics that already exist in Malfaux, but we liked the idea of playing a game more similar to poker when conducting the Duels. It really helped drive home the Wild West feel. We've yet to try this, so can't comment on its effectiveness, but we look forward to playtesting it for ghits & siggles.

Edited by N0rdicNinja
format

Something I've been thinking about recently is the end of game variable.

I'd like to see the ability to use a soulstone to add/subtract in order to finish or extend a game. So starting with the person who flipped the card for the game end each player may spend 1 soulstone and either add or subtract the accompanying flip to the fate flip for ending the game. Then the opposing player has the option of doing the same.

I see it as the master harnessing the inherent magic of Malifaux to either extend a fight or end it sooner.