Time for the inevitable forum question

Raintar

I'm really new, so I don't have a feel for who's the best, so you can probably ignore my vote for Sonnia.

There honestly probably is a distinctly best Master right now, just because the game is so young. You can playtest an open-ended game like this for years and then release it and not find out about one little broken combo until awhile later (ask the folks that make CCGs). So far, I don't see any balance issues at all, other than having a lot of success fielding almost entirely shooty units.

But as Lolochezia said, it depends on the metagame, and if Malifaux is as balanced as I think it is, the "best" master will be in constant flux, and will likely end up being a "rock paper scissors" thing due to the fact that you can change your list between games. If you know I'm playing Guild and have a fondness for Sonnia, and you're playing Neverborn and have a Pandora list and a Lilith list, you're probably leaning Lilith. So the best master will likely end up being the strongest master in the faction with the deepest options.

Again, not real good at Malifaux yet, but that's kind of how I see things developing from a gaming perspective.

That is more or less what I was trying to get across. Malifaux does seem to be fairly well balanced at the higher end of the scale, as far as I can tell. But there are one or two who are rather lack-luster compared to the rest of the field. But everything is situational.

I wonder how Malifaux tournaments will work, with people being able to switch masters and crews every game? Do you declare a faction and just stick to that? Will the runners check lists in between every round? Or will that mechanic vanish with competitive play? Anyone who has ever run one want to chime in?

I wonder how Malifaux tournaments will work, with people being able to switch masters and crews every game? Do you declare a faction and just stick to that? Will the runners check lists in between every round? Or will that mechanic vanish with competitive play? Anyone who has ever run one want to chime in?

That's probably better for another thread that would be best suited for it.

I'd rather it not get lost in a thread of this much awesome.

On a serious note of my own:

I don't suggest proclaiming on a public forum that you've been playing longer than most people.

That only makes you look more foolish as well as arrogant. Hard to take a poster serious when they come across with that type of attitude.

Err, yeah my point was that lesser experienced players may not be able to form an opinion as well as someone whose had a couple of games under their belt.

Ok, I know this discussion has come up before and I'll give the same answer I gave before, this is stupid.

There is no "best" master over-all. They are all good in their own ways and have their own niches to fill, we've been over this several times.

One of the best beat-stick melee casters, Lady Justice.

One of the best trickery casters, Pandora.

One of the best ranged damage casters, Leveticus.

One of the best tactical casters, Raspy.

See? There is, 100% no over-all best. It's been said already, but the criteria is far far to broad and there is no real way to say one way or another. You can't throw things in a vacuum and get a real answer, and you can't compare masters who do different things and expect to get a consensus that has any meaning as to who is better. Even your expanded criteria isn't close to what it needs to be.

So to say the least, I'm not voting on a broken pole. Try redoing it with more focused criteria if you want, maybe who is the most melee-beatsticky master, or who is the trickiest etc.

Edited by karn987

I think the poll results give you a straightforward answer. Out of 27 votes (atm) the maximum a master got is 5 and every master has at least 1 vote (with the exception of Marcus who is imho a bit out of the line anyway). So really as everyone said, there is no such as Best Master of Malifaux. If there was one, the game wouldn't be as great as it is...

I think the poll results give you a straightforward answer. Out of 27 votes (atm) the maximum a master got is 5 and every master has at least 1 vote (with the exception of Marcus who is imho a bit out of the line anyway). So really as everyone said, there is no such as Best Master of Malifaux. If there was one, the game wouldn't be as great as it is...

There, Marcus has a vote now. He really is the best master. He always treats his crew with respect, and gives them plenty of praise. All of the other masters usually treat their crew with scorn, as if they were just pawns on a chess board to be thrown away with no thought of their feelings on the matter.

Well, that paragraph fits well with this topic.

I can't decide. If only I knew what I was trying to achieve in each game, it might be possible.

Am I looking at each master in a hypothetical vacuum, or at the crews they can choose from to accomplish my scheme too?

In a vacuum, I would choose Som'Er Teeth, because he should make it through the beater bar intact, and won't mind all the dirt in the bag.

I think the best Master, to win the most scenarios and have the most fun with is Marcus (because of his crews overall speed and ability to ignore so much terrain).

If you are talking about most destructive, or dominating, then I'd have to say...

Perdita, shooting

Lilith, melee

Rasputina, casting

However, I feel the hardest matchup for me has been Leveticus.

I usually play Marcus or Pandora.