Time for the inevitable forum question

Raintar

It's only a matter of time before this thread was posted. Who in your opinion is the most competitive or strongest master? Count their own starting soulstone pool as a factor because they will obviously always have it. I'll hold my opinion for now but I'm sure you guys will hear from me eventually! Vote!

Edited by Raintar
Psionics

It's only a matter of time before this thread was posted. Who is the most competitve master? Count their own starting soulstone pool as a factor because they will obviously always have it. I'll hold my opinion for now but I'm sure you guys will hear from me eventually! Vote!

Nice edit, heh.

I still couldn't really tell you. There are a few that are distinctly a bit weaker (but they seem to have gotten a bit better with the errata, if nothing else then just because their really difficult opponents got a bit of a nerf) but most of the masters seem to be fairly equal in power. Or, at least, have a few things that can just shut them down.

Think of it in terms of which master can be effective against the widest variety of armies and lists overall.

Well, yeah, I get that. But it's still a pretty tough question.

I mean, if we're talking tournaments, you also have to take into account the frequency with which a master is taken. So, for example, you have a 40k army that will beat every other army 100% of the time with the sole exception of space marines, to which it always loses. Gives you a great range as far as being able to deal with different armies, but since most people play space marines, you won't even win half your games.

So, effectively your question could boil down to: who is the most popular master in Malifaux, and which master opposes that one the easiest?

Well unlike Warhammer 40k, Malifaux does not have a unit that is intentionally statistically superior so that everyone will want to play them and must form an army to be able to play against them; so that comparison argument is not a very good one IMO.

There are some pretty competitive lists out there for 30 SS like the 6 Ronin/Viktoria lists, Lilith Doppleganger, Mature, 2xYoungs and Nicodem Vulture bomb to name a few. The problem is that alot of us have very different conceptions of what a competitive list is, what may work and be competitive in one place may fall flat on its face elsewhere in different environments. And because I understand that I've probably played more then some of you, the question/poll I asked may been a bit premature, as some people do not have the exposure to make such a decision.

The poll and thread was just in the interest of discussion, to get peoples opinions and who people to talk about who they have had the most success with, nothing more, it is basically an opinion question, you can't get it wrong. It's like the free points you get on the SATs for writing your name.

Well unlike Warhammer 40k, Malifaux does not have a unit that is intentionally statistically superior so that everyone will want to play them and must form an army to be able to play against them; so that comparison argument is not a very good one IMO.

There are some pretty competitive lists out there for 30 SS like the 6 Ronin/Viktoria lists, Lilith Doppleganger, Mature, 2xYoungs and Nicodem Vulture bomb to name a few. The problem is that alot of us have very different conceptions of what a competitive list is, what may work and be competitive in one place may fall flat on its face elsewhere in different environments. And because I understand that I've probably played more then some of you, the question/poll I asked may been a bit premature, as some people do not have the exposure to make such a decision.

The poll and thread was just in the interest of discussion, to get peoples opinions and who people to talk about who they have had the most success with, nothing more, it is basically an opinion question, you can't get it wrong. It's like the free points you get on the SATs for writing your name.

I don't think space marines are statistically superior. At least not when you factor in their points cost. Just easy to play, paint, and very heavily promoted. But that's an entirely separate argument that probably doesn't belong on this site, much less this forum. Oh well, I'm a very literal and difficult person by nature.

That said, I'm sure there is some master out there who is more popular, so it is better to be good against that one, on the average, if you are trying to calculate the best.

And you bring up a very good point: soul stone total. I think that would change things a lot. I, for example, find that my gremlins greatly improve at higher points.

Ok, well, all that said, I'll humor you. I guess the two most "top tier" lists I can think of would probably be the Victoria/ronin list or the Nicodem punk zombie spam. So, I more or less agree with you, although I suppose I think Nicodem does better in a different way. Really, just take that 5 soul stone range model and a master that supports it and spam the crap out of it. I still don't think those lists are broken, mind you, but what I would expect at a tournament people were really out to win.

Edited by Justin

I'm really new, so I don't have a feel for who's the best, so you can probably ignore my vote for Sonnia.

There honestly probably is a distinctly best Master right now, just because the game is so young. You can playtest an open-ended game like this for years and then release it and not find out about one little broken combo until awhile later (ask the folks that make CCGs). So far, I don't see any balance issues at all, other than having a lot of success fielding almost entirely shooty units.

But as Lolochezia said, it depends on the metagame, and if Malifaux is as balanced as I think it is, the "best" master will be in constant flux, and will likely end up being a "rock paper scissors" thing due to the fact that you can change your list between games. If you know I'm playing Guild and have a fondness for Sonnia, and you're playing Neverborn and have a Pandora list and a Lilith list, you're probably leaning Lilith. So the best master will likely end up being the strongest master in the faction with the deepest options.

Again, not real good at Malifaux yet, but that's kind of how I see things developing from a gaming perspective.

I'm really new, so I don't have a feel for who's the best, so you can probably ignore my vote for Sonnia.

There honestly probably is a distinctly best Master right now, just because the game is so young. You can playtest an open-ended game like this for years and then release it and not find out about one little broken combo until awhile later (ask the folks that make CCGs). So far, I don't see any balance issues at all, other than having a lot of success fielding almost entirely shooty units.

But as Lolochezia said, it depends on the metagame, and if Malifaux is as balanced as I think it is, the "best" master will be in constant flux, and will likely end up being a "rock paper scissors" thing due to the fact that you can change your list between games. If you know I'm playing Guild and have a fondness for Sonnia, and you're playing Neverborn and have a Pandora list and a Lilith list, you're probably leaning Lilith. So the best master will likely end up being the strongest master in the faction with the deepest options.

Again, not real good at Malifaux yet, but that's kind of how I see things developing from a gaming perspective.

Holy cow.

There's like five independent lines that are sig worthy.

Developers from around the world just rejoiced a little bit as you may herald the end of dumb.

Then again, powerful though your words are, dumb is ever the more powerful adversary.

I notice that Lilith is listed as the Mother of Horrors.

What model is that? Do you have hidden information that we don't have?

Being that I'm new and all, I can see that happening.

:rofl:

But again, I'm just a newb.

Raintar: On a serious note... when I posted that I didn't look at your account name at who said it or whatever... I wasn't trying to imply anything I'm just sayin.

!!!!!

Robots don't have feelings anyways.

I'll agree with NE, here. You've made development teams for all games proud of that post.

On a serious note of my own:

I don't suggest proclaiming on a public forum that you've been playing longer than most people.

That only makes you look more foolish as well as arrogant. Hard to take a poster serious when they come across with that type of attitude.

WS has a point. I believe I saw him in the booth at Gen Con when I was there. Or maybe I'm losing it, since there are no such things as ghosts.