saloon "batwing" doors

Slinkdawg

For hinges I think the best thing you could use would be the ones designed for model airplane. The way they work is you either drill a small hole or cut a thin slot into the area you want the hinge to fit. Put a dab of CA glue on the hinge and slide it into place.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/model_aircraft_hardware/hinges.htm

As for the doors itself, maybe the best option would be to use balsa wood. This may be limited depending on how thin you can get the wood and what will work with the model airplane hinges.

Don't shoehorn yourself into just balsa. There is some really nice 1/32" plywood available. You can use that and frame it in with balsa.

As for the hinges, I think you could just take a piece of brass and roll it into opposed coils. Cut a slot into each coil and add another piece to that. Add a pin and you will have doors that open both ways like the saloon doors.

I'm WAY too busy to do a quick mock up for you unfortunately. If you need further explanation I can try. To go to the nuts factor you could scavenge a pen spring and actually make the doors swing closed. I would go for that if I were doing doors like that! (But I'm rather nuts apparently)