Best Faction Starter Sets

Warpainter

Hello,

I am starting to generate interest for Malifaux at my LGS. And I would like to know what starter set/crew is the best at showing what the faction is like? And the ones that show the pure basics and strengths for each one? Also need to be good demo sets.

Wow, that's a lot to ask. And I have done some research. And I believe that these four would be the right choices.

The Guild- Lady Justice

The Resurrectionists- Seamus

The Arcanists- Ramos

The Neverborn- Lylyth

And I think having The Bayou Gremlins from the Outcasts. Would be a nice addition for flavor.

Would these be a great selection of models to demo for the game?

Thanks,

-K.

Actually, for Neverborn I think you would be best showing either Pandora or the hag. Lilith is the beat-stick of the faction and has the least amount of tricks. She is actually the most straightforward.

It's hard to pick just 1 caster/start set that shows the faction well because (at least in my opinion) each box set shows a different element of the faction and it's abilities. So really, I think you could be fine with any choice. Just be ready to talk about all the other starting boxes and what they do.

(edit) Thanks Sketch ;D

Edited by karn987

Lilith and Seamus are however good groups to show off the game, as they have some of the less complex rules, that people new to the game will be able to understand with the least explanation. Which is a benefit in it's own way.

@EricJ - Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking about.

Of course I will be picking up all of the starter sets eventually. I was just wanting to get a good idea on what to buy first.

Thanks for the information guys,

-K.

If your purpose is to demo, I wouldn't go for what showed off the faction the best, I would go for what is easiest to play and understand. Something new people won't get smacked around with.

To that end, I think gremlins are a poor choice. The starter only comes with 16 soul stones worth of models, less than most other factions, and I think such a small list would benefit more from additional models than additional soul stones, especially since only Som'er teeth can use them. The gremlin player probably won't even really have a soul stone advantage, since most other masters come with a soul stone cash. Add to that that you won't even be able to make use of Som'er Teeth's "Go get your bro" ability because you lack the extra gremlin models which, in my opinion, is rather essential. I'm saying all this because I just played a starter game last night, and my gremlins died horribly. Still a good army though, I think, just not best played with a starter. I wrote up a battle report, if you're interested.

When teaching, finesseless beat sticks are the way to go.

Well what I am aiming at is a crew that would be easy to pick the rules and also show off the faction. The Gremlins was just to show off the models more so than actually being a beatstick boxset.

Thanks,

Kerry

They are neat models.

It might be a good army for you to use. Eating gremlins with a nephilim might get noobs into the mood.

• 1 month later...

I demo more often than anything with Seamus vs Teeth. I of course pilot the Gremlins. Unless they request it of course. Gives them some laughs as I Whoops all over and shoot myself and use Yall watch this to toast an undead Hooker. On top of this, lets them see that Corpse Counters are very useful (Summon Belle) But can be dealt with (Eat Anything). Also, having low WP for his Lures to go after, and using Eat Your Fill to make him fight the pig all over again shows the games strengths. Not to mention setting up a nice slit juggular to counter this.

Another note regarding the Ramos, Nicodem and Lillith starting boxes is that a portion of their strategy comes from creation of new models (or in Lilliths case, evolving) which could make those starting boxes a bit counter-intuituve to use for "luring" new players into the game, when they might not be able to use the abilities of their models. Still, you could proxy the new models I guess. :)