P3 Primer - not so good to me

MontanaJeff

I've used P3 in the past and it hasn't given me any issues, though i have to admit, its really, really hard to get me to use anything other than duplicolor sandable black primer. I'll use P3 for white primer, but for black, duplicolor all the way.

Paintwise, man, i love me the P3 line. I was a diehard vallejo fan for a long, long time, but since switching over to P3 I find that when i'm buying new colors or replacing old ones, i start (and usually end) with P3.... and i hate open top pots, to boot, but you just can't beat the quality.

Well, after priming some more models and terrain pieces (trying to use it up!) I still stand by my original post. Could just be personal preference though...

However, I really like the P3 paints too. 90% of mine are P3. They need to switch to droppers though! Hell, I'd even pay $1 more if they'd switch to dropper.

I had a long conversation with, I'm blanking, isn't it Ron Kruzie, the Privateer Press painting guy. I asked him how the P3 primer compared to Duplicolor Sandable ( I've been using it since I heard the McVey's and the Brushthralls rave about it ) and he told me that it was one and the same. He said that PP is licensing it from Duplicolor. That's a good thing, because the only store that I could find that sold Duplicolor is GI Joes which is now out of business and gone. I haven't finished my last can of Duplicolor, but as soon as I do I will pick up some of the P3 and test it out myself.

Duplicolor Sandable Primer. Available at pretty much any auto parts store in the US. White, Light Grey, Dark Grey, Black, and Rust. $5 for a full size rattle can. best primer I've ever used (and it's actually a primer, not a black spray paint like what GW sells).

I have used Duplicolor for about 5 years now with great results! I have used all of the colors that AOM mentioned. The can nozzle which sprays in a fan for better coverage.

I'm in Japan and use Mr. Surfacer 1200 & 1000.

Also the Tamiya White.

Totally understand how it could be super hard to find these. And yeah - they're probably expensive. Can't get the Duplicolor at all over here (except when the Auto Crafts Hobby shop on base gets a case in). Good to know it's good stuff.

~Shade~

• 10 months later...

Avoid Armory, i have used two cans of it and they were both bad. The paint came out flaky and made the mini fuzzy from BOTH cans.

OMG do NOT use Armory to matte your models. We bought a can, sprayed my boyfriend's Seamus crew...the entire group of models came out looking dusty. We take high resolution pictures of our finished models (for posting and personal critique) and it was like teeny tiny little pearls of matte all over the models.

We asked a friend what kind of matte is prefered and he said "Armory." Figured the first can we bought was just crap or we didn't shake it enough, maybe it was too hot, too humid, might have been sprayed in direct sunlight, etc. So we give it another shot and bought a new can. Last night it was not humid, it was midnight (no direct sun), shook the can for like 3 minutes and SAME result. So disappointed in Armory paint. We ended up using an old paint brush and ran it over and it got most of the "pearls" off the model, but it was still a severe disappointment.

Edited by Daisylvzim
clarification

Rustoleum auto primers, FTW!!! Krylon was good and cheap enough until its inconsistency of coverage and occasional fuzziness got to me. GW has almost always fuzzed up on me with the slightest atmospheric deviation. Never tried P3, but I'm guessing I'd hate the smell. Rustoleum AP dries to tacky in under 10 minutes, and is ready for additional coats or handling in about 15. I leave it longer just in case, but that's an old habit, really. I've never had to do more than a coat on anything - only had to reposition models that have a lot of overhang and need to be shot from below. And being an auto primer, Rustoleum's ability to deliver a completely smooth coat that doesn't ruin detail is a big sell for me!

~J~

After switching to Bob Ross Brand Gesso, I will never go back to spray primer. It's like the difference between driving stick and automatic.

With gesso you have so much more control, no over spray, no environmental concerns (or fumes!).

Like i said... i won't ever go back.

I agree on the armory clear coats tried them long ago and had the same dusting results....its a crap product.

For clear coating my standard is 1 coat of testors gloss coat followed by 2 coats of testors dull coat.

Its gives a nice coating for gaming models imo and only if they are dropped or banged together do I ever have issues with chipping. Even when dropped the clear coat seems to keep damage minimal so only alittle touch up is needed. Plus it keeps the original colors clear and non-dusted.

Been painting for alot of years an this seems to be the best protection for the look imo.

For display it might be alittle thick so would prolly just do one dullcoat for display quality.

I do commission work and I blow throughout primer because of it, I've tried it all from rustolum to flowqil and I found that the p3primer is to watered down and pools in the detailed areas and is not good for dust priming, the best primer IMO is Army Painter primer their white and black are by far the best type for dust priming that I've used yet.

And as for protecting your minis i will sugest, Krylon crystal clear coat, for the gloss coat then only testers dull coat, for the mat coat these are the only 2 that are used at my lgs and have never messed up for me or my friends. Hope this helps :)

!!Oh and for the dusty look you get with the armory mat coat, you can fix it by spraying the Krylon crystal clear coat over the armory mat coat and then the testers dull coat and the dusty look will go away.

Edited by Deadpool

If I want to spend a lot of time on the model: Duplicolor sandable.

If I want to get the model out quickly: Army Painter.

I'll personally never use Armory (gritty spray), GW (too expensive, not as nice as duplicolor), or Krylon (really runny, tends to pool on models).

Duplicolor sandable is great but I can't find it around here.

Army painter black is expensive but I use it exclusively. There is no better detail coverage IMO.

NOTE TO FIRST TIME USERS: Spray from only 20 cm away or less. any further and it will not look good or work well. Up close, however, and it looks like black casting. Every bit of detail is present.

• 9 years later...