Multiplayer Games

Sobek

One of the things that I like about Malifaux is that it really seems to lend itself more to multiplayer games than other systems. The one thing that it doesn't go into is how to determine strategy and scheme targets. I've been thinking about this recently, and figured that this is as good a place as any to put my thoughts.

I think that it'd be safe to say that we don't want one person to be the target of more than one other player's objective lest the game turn into a gang up type of situation. In this mindset, it'd probably be a good idea to require each player have a different opponent as the target of their objective if applicable. It could be determined any number of ways: randomly, or whoever draws highest simply chooses.

In addition to Strategies, we also have Schemes to think about. Two different ways to handle schemes come to mind. Either require the target of your schemes, if applicable, be the same as your strategy, or require your Scheme target to be different that your strategy target.

Thoughts? How have you all been playing your multiplayer games?

I like what jmp_mydog has going on. Schemes are schemes. it might be a personal vendetta, or reflect on-going tensions between the factions (or players).

The strategies are the meat of things, so they should be distributed as fairly as possible, which includes making them as random as possible instead of cherry picking opponents to get an advantage.

Of course, every gaming group will do things differently when it comes to multiplayer games with rules written from the perspective of one-on-one games.

I'd also love to see some sort of campaign system in the game as well. That's one of the things that I loved about other character-based skirmish games that will remain nameless. That duing leagues/campaigns that could actually gain experience/injuries which could affect them from game to game.

These all seem like good ideas but I think I'm going to try the flip idea. We'll see if we can get a multiplayer game in tonight. That would be awesome. One idea I had but haven't tried out is that you have two schemes (one for each player) and a strategy for your side. Has anyone done games with 3 or more players a side?