Malifaux Player Aid - Combat Chart

will_urban

Hello everyone, I came up with this chart and I think it really helps with game play. One of the main issues I think players have is the constant back and forth of adding, figuring out who is ahead, re-adding, checking for triggers, re-adding again etc. So I came up with this combat chart and it seems to work pretty well.

Instructions on use:

Print out and laminate (Well I did anyhow)

Get some glass beads or chips or whatever for markers. (I use red for attacker, blue for defender, and yellow for damage flips.)

So the way it works is like this. The attacker makes his attack flip, adds value and modifiers and says his score, place a red token on their value. The defender makes his defense flip, adds value and modifiers and says his score, place a blue token on their value. Then you can see who is the loser so they have the option to cheat/SS first so change their value, then move the marker and then the same thing with the second person. Once that is done if the attacker wins you can use the chart to assign damage flips and then also move it up or down for modifiers like hard to wound 2 or charge. This can also work for spells, morale duels, whatever where you need to keep track of the totals.

For example (skipping triggers):

Lilith charges Seamus.

Lilith swings her Greatsword and draws a 7 card for her flip. Add to her Cb of 7 = 14 so red bead goes on the 14.

Seamus draws an 11 and adds his defense for 15 so a blue bead goes on the 15.

Currently Seamus is winning the duel so Lilith can choose to cheat fate first.

Lilith pulls a 13! out of her hand giving her now a 20 total so the red bead moves up to the 20 spot. She really wants to hurt Seamus so uses a soulstone and flips a 7 so now her red bead is on the 27 mark.

Seamus looks at his hand, curses the fates and realizes he cannot do anything against it so his bead stays on 15.

Now we look at damage flips.

Because Lilith won by 11+ the yellow bead moves from the None to the [+]. But she charged, and she has a greatsword so she gets [+][+] so the yellow bead moves 2 squares to the right to the [+][+][+]. But Seamus is hard to wound 2 so she then gets [-][-] and it goes back 2 squares to the left. So the end result is a single [+].

I think it will make sense once you try it out and it should help with the whole having to add your value and check your card 5 times for a single strike.

Let me know what you guys think.

-Will

post-1952-13911920450439_thumb.jpg

I had originally done that but then I realized if someone has a 13 and another has a 16 it really doesn't matter where the boxes are so I was going for something small enough to print and laminate and it just kind of ended up like that. It's easily modifiable for pretty much any way you want it, it's just the concept mainly.

I've gotten where the numbers are just clicking in my head, but I am extremely math dyslexic so I think I'll print one off and give it a shot to see if it helps.

Although all the numbers make sense now, my mind has a very difficult time of "holding" a number. You tell me your defense total after I've worked up my combat totat and I start doing the math with the cards in my hand....and I've forgotten what your total was....

This might help just to "place" the number and hold it for me. Nice.

Although all the numbers make sense now, my mind has a very difficult time of "holding" a number. You tell me your defense total after I've worked up my combat totat and I start doing the math with the cards in my hand....and I've forgotten what your total was....

I have the same problem. I blame Calculus. Once I learn higher math I stopped being able to do simple math in my head reliably.

Yeah the left [+] in the far right box is all screwed up and looks like a [-]. I had to shrink the picture by 10% to get it to fit the upload which is why it looks just a bit wonky. I mainly put it up as an idea, I know I have a hard time remembering what they have after I'm looking at triggers and by how much they beat me by so it's a handy tool.

-Will

• 3 months later...
Excuse the necromancy, but I've updated the Combat Chart a little. Made it into a PDF, shined it up a little, and its now new and improved. Hope you don't mind will_urban, I just thought it was a pretty good idea, and tweeked it a little bit.

There is actually a slightly updated Combat Chart from will_urban on my website here: http://tabletopgeeks.com/malifaux-downloads/

Yours is shiny though, would you mind if I hosted that as well?

There is actually a slightly updated Combat Chart from will_urban on my website here: http://tabletopgeeks.com/malifaux-downloads/

Yours is shiny though, would you mind if I hosted that as well?

I actually found the original on your site while collecting all the other stuff. Its nice to have it all together. It printed out kind of goofy, so I decided to redo it. Feel free to host it as long as the original designer doesn't mind.