Terrain and Scale

Chase

What idea's has everyone thought of for buildings? Or themed boards? My roommie and I are going to make a dedicated 3x3 board for the game and are thinking of idea's for terrain.

Steam punk stuff without looking too futuristic is way beyond me. I keep thinking of ideas and finding materials that are too wh40k looking. Victorian doll house might work too.

Oh, and what scale is malifaux?

remember, Malifaux is very much a Found town, a good portion of it is unexplored/unexplained.

I'd suggest taking a look at the encounter locations and build based of of some of those, there are about 4 in the swamp/bayou areas, 4 in the industrialised/decaying city and 4 in the badlands/forests/outlying areas (i think to lazy to grab the book). To give you a sort of uberboard over view. There is a train running around and the industrial area would actually work well since alot of the indutrial are is a pump station.

I've been work on a few terrain pieces. My goal is to have a set for each of the encounters listed in the book. If you do a search for White Wash City they have a free template for a saloon I'd scale it up 150-165% to make it look in scale with the models. The complete set is reasonable I like to use them as templates. There are also Victorian style houses. If you look in No Quarter they usually have a new terrain building section that has steampunk buildings.

The cool thing about Malifaux is the variety of terrain you can use. Until I build new stuff we're using my Necromunda terrain as the Quarantine area.

If you want to see my stuff look here.

dude where you find that?

im trying to set up a bored its just trying to find saloons and buildings to the scale im haveing diffaculty with.

any one know any web sites?

sorry im not trying to steal your thread lol:laugh:

pete

Apparently Amazon.com stocks it:

Amazon.com: O Snap KIT Hobo Jungle: Toys & Games

513YYHGR6EL._SS500_.jpg

We also bought a western looking house that my girlfriend (common law wife) is converting into "The Lucky Charm", Seamus' whorehouse. This was made by Atlas.

ATO-2009002-2.jpg

Edited by Breten

Brett, how's the quality on the Hobo Village? Also, I'm assuming O Scale is the correct or most accurate scale to use?

Thanks.

They re really good actually, especially for the price. O scale isn't exact, but it's the closest. I believe that it's more true 2, than say 28-32mm, but it looks good. O scale can be really expensive though, some full buildings can be in excess of $100.

While i'm still waiting to get my book and cult of december to arrive, I have been thinking about terrain. Not knowing the Malifaux world properly would a snow board fit? I've always wanted to make one and now is the perfect oppertunity. But i dont want to go ahaead and start making one and then find out it never snows in Malifaux.

So does it snow in Malifaux?

Just do what I do and scratchbuild everything. :) Then your doors will always be large enough.

Get your web site back up so I can look at all of the stuff you build. :) You know any good tutorials about building wooden slat buildings? Most of the buildings I have done look like concrete and metal so my technique is a bit off for things with a wood look.

Well, I usually build buildings like the one in the photo using "board-by-board"- that is, I build individual stud walls much like a real building, using the correct sizes of scaled down basswood. Then I glue slats on those, making sure to overhang the corners on two opposite walls enough to cover the ends of the other walls when I assemble them. It's very time consuming, but if you want a detailed interior, it's the best way to go.

If it's a solid building with no interior detailing, then I would build a foamcore shell and glue thin sheets of basswood which I'd scored with vertical lines to look like individual slats. You could use individual slats if you wanted, but take care to make sure they fit together tightly so that you can't see foamcore between slats. (For board-by-board, it's not as much a concern, and for a ramshackle building, you may even want to leave spaces or broken boards.)

The site will be up... someday. I need to learn enough PHP security to keep the commies from hacking it again, which is the main thing holding me back, as I just haven't had the time. If I hadn't gotten laid off in January, I might actually have a pretty good reference book to point you to.

Edited by Bexley