Bravo Wyrd Miniatures

fildrigar

Excellent sculpting, Wyrd Miniatures. I glued together six box sets today, and a bunch of extra models. I usually pin everything, but I found myself being quite satisfied with the quality of the joins on your miniatures. I did pin a few ( the dead hooker with the non-deployed parasol, Candy's scissors, and a few other bits and pieces. ) but many of them I looked at, dry fit, and decided they were going to be quite alright without pins. The 'borg did get assembled last, and he probably should have had a few pins stuck in him, but I was getting a bit tired. We'll see how he holds together and perhaps I'll add some pins later.

Anyway, good job on the sculpting and casting, Wyrd.

As for advice, I use piano wire, as it is much much thinner than paper clips. I pick up assortments of small bits at Harbor Freight ( www.harborfreight.com actually http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94606 ) Piano wire is available at many small hobby stores.

I should add that they are not very high quality bits, the smallest are only good for a hole or three. The smaller ones are good for 3 to 7 holes. And, only half or so of the bits are useful for miniature purposes. That said, they are very very cheap. < shrug >

Piano wire is excellent but HARD AS NAILS. I had to get a heavy duty clipper at Home Depot to deal with the steel.

Proedge Blades is the drill bit set that I use (on their website, go to CRAFTS and scroll to the bottom and click TOOLS 1), but only because they were inexpensive and easily attainable at the local hobby store. They offer smaller drill bit sizes, called 61-80, that work well in conjunction with piano wire.

Micro Mark is also a GODSEND for miniature tools for your hobby. GO THERE and drool - get a catalog if you dare!

GaleForce9 has an awesome Pin Vise that fits my smaller hand. Larger ones strain my hands, sadly, but this one is perfect.

The setup I use is a #72 drill bit with .025" wire (.64mm) for really small joins, or a #67 drill bit with .032" wire (.81mm) for slightly larger ones, but thats only because those two sizes were so easy to match with drill bit and wire. Piano wire costs like $5 for a bunch (by "bunch", I mean like 10 feet or more!) but again it is so hard, you need good steel cutters. Dont use your nice hobby clippers on this by accident like I first did!

I was scared to death of pinning, but once I got the proper tools and a pin vise that fit my hand without cramping, I am now much more comfortable with it!

I also read an excellent article in an E-zine recently - if I can find it, I'll link it here.

I use tiny steal rod, a simple GW hand drill (more control) and super gel. pretty strong hold. If I don't pay attention and have to rebrake an error or something its tough.

I pin as much as possible since i like to drink beer and play with my minis :)

GL with unpinned steamborg, that one is construct in all sense of the word.

Oh yeah and this whole thread topic:

Gratz Wyrd, ya done good.