base sizes

I'm sure I've read this somewhere but can't find it. Just a quick question regarding base sizes, does it make a huge difference what size of base the model is on? For example, Zoraida comes with a medium base (30mm? I don't have a ruler handy), would I be able to mount her on a smaller base or will that affect the game? I'm just used to playing warmachine where base size makes a HUGE difference, although it struck me that malifaux might be more of a "modellers" game with more freedom of how you build your figs.

Ta.

They are important to the game. While we spent a lot of time trying to find ways to allow people to use different sized bases, we just couldn't figure out how to do it without giving people ways to use it as excuses to modify their crews in ways that had more to do with a gaming advantage than for artistic merit.

Another unfortunate little twist of having been a miniatures company first that evolved into a game company. Their are still some blisters that were packed before the rules defined the proper base size, and as such come with the wrong size. We very much apologize for this inconvenience, and it is one of the reasons we have and will be selling packs of different sized bases for as inexpensively as we can manage.

thanks!

Eric

Cool, good to know. I've been going mad with the bases, trying to make them all special like. (for the swamp dwellers anyway). Just spent a good couple of hours cutting bits out, putting bits in and in one case completely removing the "base" and just keeping the lip. Should look cool but damn me got some sore fingers! Anyway I just wanted to check before doing Zoraida's base.

cheers guys.

Beans, I've got a simple way to get clean rims without a center. it's not the fastest, but it works like a charm. drill multiple holes all about the inside edge of the lip. then go back and cut the tiny bits between the holes, and file smooth. glue to some thin plasticard with plastic glue for a seamless bond, then fill with water effects to your heart's content.

Beans, I've got a simple way to get clean rims without a center. it's not the fastest, but it works like a charm. drill multiple holes all about the inside edge of the lip. then go back and cut the tiny bits between the holes, and file smooth. glue to some thin plasticard with plastic glue for a seamless bond, then fill with water effects to your heart's content.

I realise this now! I drilled a few pilot holes and afterwards thought "why didn't I use the drill all the way around?" Still, it was about 2am. This gw water effects is rubbish though, put a second layer on my test base and it didn't dry clear at all. I'll leave it another day and see what happens but it seems pretty dry to me. Just trying it in one big gloop now, if it still doesn't work I'm marchin' down there and getting my money back!

dunno if it will help. it don't think it will, though. and you'll probably notice that it seems to get clear from the outside in. the white part appears to shrink, and might even make for a cool time lapse video, if you had that kind of time.