New GW Washes

v22TTC

Just wondering if they're worth getting, and what they might offer that other methods don't. Needless to say, the GW staff think they're THE BEST THING EVER!!! but I don't consider that objective testimony....;)

I see Demonherald used them, in his Wyrd article, which obviously is a whole different matter and made me curious about them.

Sorry v22TTC I'm gonna hi-jack this thread for another question. I'm starting to get to the end of my last brown ink and will be looking for an alternative. I am considering using washes but I also want to kow what people think. How are they different? Also which is the best to replace the brown ink - bearing in mind I'm colour blind!

i use the washes and i think they are definatley worth it, especially the devlan mud. i still use the inks for stuff as obviously they both provide different results. the washes dont really pool and best of all they are not shiney like the inks (which really used to annoy me!)

Guy to replace the brown ink with something GW then try the devlan mud (brown/black mix) or the gryphonne sepia (lighter brown wash) or watered down scorched brown would be a similar colour

Thanks DL, I'll probably try the Delvan Mud then - as to the shiny characteristic of inks sometime that can be a good thing, when I did a large wall plaque, The Green Man by the defunct Excelsior I use the brown ink for the eyes. I didn't need to gloss varnish it as the ink gave the eyes both that finish and depth. But for most of the mini's it can be a pain, but again watered down like paint the gloss disappears.

EldinTux (or anyone else, for that matter): Consider any thread I start to be yours - I like threads that meander a bit: shows agile and creative minds.:)

Cheers for the info everyone - will get some when I go into town next week (which, being me, means I'll get them all...).

EDIT: Good luck with the Gyrocopter, by the way!

Edited by v22TTC

Sorry for this slight threadomancy, but although I love the final effect of these new washes, I do have one warning to give : don't wait too long before using them once on the pallet. Mine tend to turn to a gel before drying completely which can be tricky to use and create rougher blends.

Anybody else encounter this effect?

• 2 weeks later...

The new washes are aimed at speed painting rank and file. That said since GW doesn't make inks or washes or even glazes anymore they will become popular. I still like the original GW inks particularly "Rust Brown" don't know what I'll do when that runs out, but it has lasted over 15 years... give or take.

You're seeing a lot of base coat + wash and done. Personally I think it pays to do at least one highlight maybe two, even for bulk rank and file, but where the new washes may be of interest to the top of the line painters, and where I see the Heavy Metal guys using it, is not using red on red, or brown on brown but rather adding a little purple or green to another shade to give it character and complexity. But basically I think they are aimed at the base coat + slather crowd.

Coat d'Arms interests me, but I think the new GW washes were aimed almost to compete with the dips that are being sold.

I've actually moved more towards making my own washes prior to their release and I still paint a lot out of the pot which is how I think the washes are designed, not to be thinned, just put on heavily.

Cheers,