Valeria TOW Starring a Wyrd Base!

Brushmistress

I saw this model on CMON and had to have it- this is the first time I tried out "pre-painting" the model in CS3 before actually laying on paint. I just couldn't decide on a color scheme, but with the magic of Photoshop, you can just get rid of something if you don't like it. This is the final result - Valeria, from Tale of War Minis on a Wyrd graveyard base insert (these are awesome, I must have more!). Her hair is actually far more highlighted in person (up to almost orange at the brightest). I've never been able to photograph burgandy without losing depth. Any tips on that?:)

vampiresstow2.jpg

...but photography has never been my strong suit.

Me neither and my camera is not the best but I found the trick.

1/ First it's better to take pictures outside and not inside with lamps as nothing can replace real sunlight.

2/ Never use a flash but I think you already know this

3/ Place white sheets (I use foamcore) on the 3 sides of the miniatures to reflect light (and under it of course).

4/ Use the best photo resolution (size).

5/ Don't take a shot near the miniature as you could resize the photo later on with your computer.

6/ use a tripod

7/ use manual settings instead of automatic ones and make different shots with different settings.

8/ prey and dance for 2 days so it won't rain :dancing:

Hope it helps but you could find good tutorials on the web.

BTW nice mini.

I currently use a 5 megapixel camera, and play around with ISOs. I set it to center photos (not multizone), use a light tent, photograph from about a foot away, and I lost my tripod. :-( I honestly at this point think I need a camera that isn't a Kodak, or maybe I just can't take pics! I'll have to try taking my tent outside to photograph. My apartment gets very little light inside, but I do have a balcony. Thanks for the tips moavoamoatu! (any everyone for the comments!)

Don't want to try to come off as an expert when I'm still asking elementary questions but I think the problem with daylight with minis photography is its constant variability; you can get more consistent results indoors with lighting.

It won't be out (in Blighty, anyway) 'til after the IPV Round 1 deadline but the specs on the Nikon P80 seem pretty much perfect for minis photography for about standard good digital compact price. I'll get one the day it comes out, monkey around with it and post my results and findings (whatever they're worth...).

1) Nice miniature. :)

2) I thought I was going to be the first forum-goer to post a painted Wyrd base. :(

3) Regarding Kodak: I have a 6.1 MP Kodak that I use for my miniature photography, but my "main" camera is a 7MP Kodak that I don't use for miniatures since it is nowhere near as good as the older Kodak at that task.

4) See 1. :)

How do you do then because I always get "yellowish" pictures inside and I use 3 lights, a white background and daylight bulbs (2 daylights and 1 halogen) ??? I never managed to get nice photos indoors.

Set the white balance on your camera prior to taking your picture, by setting up your photo rig then use the white background to adjust the background until it begin to appear as white. Then after that done, you can do a minor post processing with levels in a photo editor.

Set the white balance on your camera prior to taking your picture, by setting up your photo rig then use the white background to adjust the background until it begin to appear as white. Then after that done, you can do a minor post processing with levels in a photo editor.

Thanks, I'll try this way. Which photo editor do you use ?

How do you do then because I always get "yellowish" pictures inside and I use 3 lights, a white background and daylight bulbs (2 daylights and 1 halogen) ??? I never managed to get nice photos indoors.

I'm not the fittest person for giving digital pics advice but from my tinkerings and reading in the last few days, it seems that white backgrounds play havoc with the camera's little brain, and having different colours of lights will only work if you can exert a lot of control upon your white balance.

It'll be different from camera to camera but mine likes a blue background, lights that are all the same colour (crappy 60W blue bulbs in my case - haven't found full-spectrum bulbs yet) and the flourescent white balance preset (with the night preset, flash off and EV set to max, 2.0 in my case)... just kept trying different permutations of the presets... itching to get my hands on some manual goodness!

What Goblyn13 said....

I'm not the fittest person for giving digital pics advice but from my tinkerings and reading in the last few days, it seems that white backgrounds play havoc with the camera's little brain, and having different colours of lights will only work if you can exert a lot of control upon your white balance.

It'll be different from camera to camera but mine likes a blue background, lights that are all the same colour (crappy 60W blue bulbs in my case - haven't found full-spectrum bulbs yet) and the flourescent white balance preset (with the night preset, flash off and EV set to max, 2.0 in my case)... just kept trying different permutations of the presets... itching to get my hands on some manual goodness!

What Goblyn13 said....

I'll give both outdoors and light settings a try. I've got the "Yellowish" background too, though I usually just fiddle around with the color balance in CS3 post photography.

Thanks, I'll try this way. Which photo editor do you use ?

Due to school, I have photoshop, however, using it is like breaking out the chainsaw to cut butter. if al your doing is tweaking the photo, try Pixelmator (Mac) or Picasa (PC), and over here: http://www.weetoysoldiers.com/wp/?p=439 they actually show ore detal on how to fix the light.